What's new

Bringing an ugly fat boy back to life

Congrats on a great score and kudos on a great technique on the cleaning.
I honestly thought that under all that crud there would have been at least some heavy brassing and plate loss.

I've said it before, them real ugly ones are sometimes the best preserved when cleaned. Sometimes.

It's like a candy coating. If one dude never scrubbed and rubbed and brushed and chemical dipped his razor it's sometimes all superficial. That's the roll of the dice though.

When you get results like this, it helps keep the faith that they are out there. Sometimes it's better to get one that hasn't been cleaned at all than to get one that has been 'restored' improperly and been roached by some well meaning seller who doesn't know better.

Congratulations!

What a beauty!!

Thanks for the friendly welcome, everyone. I wanted to make my (nearly) first post one with some on-topic content.

Looking forward to participating.

Derek

Good work with the cleaning and fixing the alignment (the restoration part). I've had shafts break when trying to get them straightened out - they were terribly out of whack though.

And welcome to the B&B!

I've said it before, them real ugly ones are sometimes the best preserved when cleaned. Sometimes.

It's like a candy coating. If one dude never scrubbed and rubbed and brushed and chemical dipped his razor it's sometimes all superficial. That's the roll of the dice though.

When you get results like this, it helps keep the faith that they are out there. Sometimes it's better to get one that hasn't been cleaned at all than to get one that has been 'restored' improperly and been roached by some well meaning seller who doesn't know better.

Congratulations!

What a beauty!!

I think most of the time they come out nice like this one, but every once in a while, you take the gunk off and uncover a lot of brassing. Doesn't stop me from buying gunked up razors though!

-jim

Hi Patrick

Nope - this one was an F date code and yours was an E that I acquired locally in much better shape, although I have to say that this one really came alive!

The other restore that I posted here from a _nasty_ ebay score has gone to a co-worker for all but free.

At one point I had 9 of these, but I'm down to just 2. I've tried a lot of razors (Sheraton, Aristocrats, Fatboys, EJ89, Fatip, Merkur HD, 1904, Old, New, Techs, Adjustable, ABC Empire, Super Adjustable, Rockets, various Super Speeds) before I found the one that works best for me - a user-grade Milord TTO that I bought for $10. Go figure. It cured my RAD before I laid out hundreds on a barber pole Aristocrat.

It's a lot of fun finding stuff in the wild, cleaning it up, fixing it, or leaving it as-is (in the case of gold plate), enjoying the look and use, sanitizing it and passing it on.

I have a bunch of Super Speeds that I'm looking at experimenting with some custom painting. Two-tone red & black with red down in the knurling and black on the raised surface, for example. Stripping a poor grade Red Tip & putting a transparent red on the knob and a white handle instead. Plans for the future...

Top Bottom