What's new

Bring back?

What out of production vintage shaving gear would you like to see produced today and how much would you pay for it?

Software: Sir Irisch Moos Shave Soap / I think it was about $9 or $10 a stick..... so that's what I'd pay for it.
Hardware: I can't think of anything at the moment. Today's brushes are way better than any of the vintage ones. The best vintage DE razors were Gillettes IMO and they are still everywhere to be found. Maybe an Eclipse Red Ring? I've never shaved with one.... so I can't say for sure. Today's DE blades are better than vintage. I'm kind of drawing a blank on this one.

Ben

software p160
Hardware would have liked to have gotten to try some of the old Strops made of the exotic leathers like Sharkskin, seal, caribou and Yak like the old dryed up relics I see.

Somerset Simpson brushes. I'd pay same price as current, Vulfix-made Simpsons, which considering I currently am willing to pay zero for the latter, is reasonable to me. Besides which, much more and I'm in Plisson territory.

Edwin Jagger Sensor handle. I love mine, in Bulbous Lined finish, but wish I'd bought a second one when they were available, just in case mine ever craps out. Again, I'd pay the current EJ Bulbous Lined handle price, which is better than zero, which is what I'm willing to pay for EJ's M3 and Fusion handles.

Ditto for Reed Barton Atra handles. Of course, this would also require Gillette resume production of the all-metal Atra handles and heads. I'd pay a premium if Reed Barton would silver-plate the head to make it match the handle, which is something they never did on the ones they actually made.

Creed Vintage Tabarome. Never smelled it, but I'd sure like to. (I know I can get a decant, but I'd only be finding out what I can't have in an amount sufficient to wear with any regularity.)

Coate's creams. I can live without them, but I thought the world of shaving was a richer place when they were in production. Also, since Coate's was owned by David Carter, it goes hand-in-glove with bringing back the Somerset Simpsons. Win-win.

Castle Forbes creams in the glass jars. Such a high-end cream deserves high-end packaging.

Last edited:
Personna 74's, would be nice to use again,afffordably.

I have heard great things about P74's. I scored some legendary vintage Gillette SS, aka spoilers and some Gillette stainless blades recently and besides the dispensers being cool, they shave amazingly smooth and I find they last much longer than any blades available today. I wonder why they can't replicate P74's or Gillette Spoilers today?

$20140107_081612.jpg
My beloved Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream, available at any drugstore for about 3 or 4 bucks.

Attachments

• $unnamed.jpg
    $unnamed.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 443
I have heard great things about P74's. I scored some legendary vintage Gillette SS, aka spoilers and some Gillette stainless blades recently and besides the dispensers being cool, they shave amazingly smooth and I find they last much longer than any blades available today. I wonder why they can't replicate P74's or Gillette Spoilers today?

I'm sure they could, but they would be cutting their own throat to do so. They wouldn't sell as many blades if the ones they made lasted longer. :(

Software - I would have liked to try some Penhaligon's tallow soaps

Hardware - I wish I had a chance to talk shop and design a handle with Bob of BRW

Great topic!

Razors- although readily available, if Gillette were to make the Tech and Superspeed and sell them at the price of entry level modern DEs ($20-30 or so), I think we would see even more people switching from cartridges (which is why Gillette will never do it).

Blades- Personna 74. Everything I've read suggests that these are the best shaving, longest lasting blades ever produced. If they priced them at the top of the price range of current blades ($50/100), I'd jump at the chance to stock up.

Soaps- Yardley. I've used it and it is an excellent tallow soap. I'd love to be able to smell it as the scent has almost completely faded. At $25/puck, I'd happily purchase it. I'd also love to see vintage tallow Williams priced like the reformulated Williams is. I think it would be the most popular soap here at that price. Imagine a great smelling Arko at less than half the price. It would be hard to pass up.

Blades- Personna 74. Everything I've read suggests that these are the best shaving, longest lasting blades ever produced. If they priced them at the top of the price range of current blades ($50/100), I'd jump at the chance to stock up.

This. Scariest part is they would STILL be cheaper than cartridges...

Top Bottom