What's new

Brickell Shampoo & Conditioner Review

For those that don't know, Brickell is a men's grooming supply company. Most of their products are natural and organic offering men a natural way to groom. Brickell's products are also highly recommended and rated regardless of the site selling them. They are also expensive. More on that later.

I recently went on a natural product kick and shampoo was one of the first things to change. Brickell caught my attention.

The Shampoo Review

The ingredients list for the shampoo is interesting.

"Aloe Barbadensis* (Aloe Leaf Juice), Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Lavandula Angustifolia* (Lavender), Silk Protein Amino Acid Blend (Sodium L-Pyrrolidone Carboxylate, Soldium Lactate, L-Arginine, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Pyrrolidonecarboxylic Acid, Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Serine, L-Valine, L-Proline, L-Threonine, L-Isoleucine, L-Histidine, L-Phenylalanine), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Vegetable Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Phenoxyethanol, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Distillate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Rosa Canina (Rosehip Fruit Oil), Simmondsia Chinensis* (Jojoba Seed Oil), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Tetrasodium EDTA, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Essential Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Essential Oil. *Certified Organic

Lots of natural ingredients along with a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce. Let's chalk that up to a personal failure.

The first thing you notice about the shampoo is how thick it is. This is most likely due to the Aloe being the first ingredient. Soon after squirting the shampoo onto your hands you get the mint smell. Not a fake peppermint but a strong mint similar to Dr. Bronner's soaps. Very nice for the morning pick me up.

Sadly the positives end there. My usual palm full of shampoo was not enough to cover my hair. Please note that I have very long hair for a man. Just about any other shampoo, natural or not, would have completely covered my head with suds. Not Brickell apparently. That mean two applications for me.

The minty smell survived the walk from the shower to the sink. The hair dryer banished any remaining smell.

The Conditioner Review:

The matching Brickell conditioner offers the same minty good smell as the shampoo. Also in the same size bottle of course.

Holy cow is this stuff thick! It's basically an opaque jelly.

The ingredients:

Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Gotu Kola Extract, Horsetail Plant Extract*, Geranium Extract*, Dandelion Extract*, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Carrageenan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Ethyl Hexyl Glycerin, Peppermint Leaf Oil, Tea Tree Leaf Essential Oil. *Certified Organic.

Notice how Aloe is the main ingredient again. After having used simple Aloe leaf extract before, I'm getting the feeling Brickell just slapped their name and a few other ingredients onto Aloe extract.

In the hands the jelly is hard to spread into the hair. Once again I had to use more than I usually do.

The Verdict

This combination by Brickell offers a "hair thickening" effect. It does this by actually making your hair strands fatter. I can't say that my hair felt any thicker, but after multiple uses my hairs feels ruff. Kinda like the plumping of the hair exaggerates the small scales that hair is made of.

After all that I can't recommend this shampoos or conditioner to anyone. It's $40 on Amazon for both delivered to your door. There are much less expensive natural shampoos out there.

If you see this product keep walking. Not worth it gentleman. My loss, your gain.

Sorry. I glanced over it too quick. The sodium lauryl sulfoacetate isnt as bad as the sodium lauryl sulphate.

Thanks! I have been on a shampoo kick testing out many different ones as well and I didn't like Brickell as well. I used it one time and threw it out. Try Rudy's shampoo and conditioner. $20 each for 16oz and it is great.

Thanks! I have been on a shampoo kick testing out many different ones as well and I didn't like Brickell as well. I used it one time and threw it out. Try Rudy's shampoo and conditioner. $20 each for 16oz and it is great.

Thanks I'll give them a look.

For one thing it doesn't have much Aloe even though it's listed at the first ingredient and it's my guess it's a water blend along with all the botanicals listed at the top. First let me say I'm in the hair product manufacturing business and I have been developing hair products for over 20yrs. In the industry we call that " Blessing the batch" it means that when you begin to mix or make the shampoo the very first thing that always goes in the tank or vessel is water. Well how many of you drink tea? Ok what is tea put into? water. What do you call it after it's put into the water Tea! Well in the water phase they put in probably an Aloe powder mix of maybe 1% and they also probably put in a botanical mix or blend that is just like a big tea bag. About the size of your hand and it's going into a 5000 gal vessel or tank to make it simple. That means that they can now list the ingredients at the very top making the average consumer think WOW its loaded with natural ingredients, when there is only a trace amount of any of those ingredients in the bottle and add no benefits whatsoever. This goes on all the time and to frank, It's a scam that I and some other people in the industry hate. The shampoo is loaded with a lot of common ingredients and the reason that it's not lathering is because whomever developed it did a bad job of creating the surfactant blend although I will say they are not sulfate based and therefore on the gentle side but just a bad blend or they didn't add enough Cocamidopropyl betaine to the blend which is a foam booster. Usually primary surfactants don't lather on there own. That also is not that uncommon. Also just so you know a shampoo for example can't be 100% natural unless it's in dark glass bottle or aluminum tubes. If you try to use all natural ingredients in a plastic bottle you'd have a bunch of microorganism's growing out of the bottle. Not saying you can't use natural ingredients in plastic but you have to use synthetic man made ingredients to stabilize the naturals. I do it all the time and I use only environmentally friendly synthetic's to blend with the naturals, which in some cases actually work better than a naturals. Ok guys I'll stop now cause I could go on forever! LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom