What's new

Brian Brown vs Koraat Razor

I am looking at getting a custom razor and have been looking at Koraat and Brian Brown. The Koraat’s seem very nice and I like all the options for customization but the price tag is high and it comes from Europe. The Brian Brown’s seem nice and get lots of good reviews here. His website does not offer any customization options so I’m assuming all of that happens via email. Also Brian Brown seems to have some some stock razors available on his website. Anybody have thoughts on these? I think I could be happy with a stock razor as I’m just looking for a 6/8 round point razor. The only customization component that interests me is choosing more interesting scales that solid color G10.

Matt

Shoot Brian an Email - he's a great guy and I'm sure he'll try to hook you up with what you're looking for.

Matt, IMHO this is similar to comparing a ZR1 Corvette and a Ferrari. Both are tremendous Super Cars, or in this case razors. One made with American Muscle and the other European. I have multiples of both, and both are fantastic razors. I give the nod to Koraat for customization, and Old world craftsmanship, and the nod to Brian for building a straight that you will spend a lifetime loving. In simple B&B terms get both, Just kidding.

As to the Europe VS USA made, that is subjective. As you know many of the Most collectible and finest razors ever made were made in Europe so there is NO question on Quality. That being said American Made can be a factor. If you are concerned with Shipping and safety ordering directly from Europe, don't be in about a month it will be sitting in your hand configured the way you want. Same with BRW. So really you cannot go wrong either way

I have both and both are extremely well made, can't go wrong with either. BBRW on the custom end is a waiting game but the ones listed on his site I believe are ready to go, Ulrik with Koratt is about the same, he has some razors listed on a few sites but his customs are a waiting game.

fullsizeoutput_c7f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_cd7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_f57.jpeg

I have a Koratt and love its weight but i dont have a Brown so i cannot compare but owning quite a few custom razors from different people im just going to say order the one that catches your eye and you just have to have.

Also keep in mind that you can always find the second one used if you are patient and want both....afterall thats usually what happens anyways....hahaha

Cant go wrong with either one

I have 4 BB and 1 Koratt.

I got the Koratt without scales and made my own, the only criticism I have on his razors is the wedge/spacer on some

On the Koraat razors he uses a spacer and not a true wedge, I honestly have no idea why he does this other than it's easier ?

70275375-2CD6-4063-80DF-90A98BF8A27A.jpeg
Love me some BRW razors..and actually If you can dream it, I am pretty sure Brian can make it.
Here are a few of his semi-custom specimens:
Note-bottom razor is a Boker which Brian rescaled for me.

Those are nice razors.

At work Brian's site is blocked for me. Just out of curiosity, what's the ballpark cost for a BRW razor, if you don't mind my asking?

If you are primarily looking for a razor that shaves exceptionally well at a reasonable price that is attractive, but does not necessarily have a lot of decoration, then the BRW semi-custom razors will fill that desire. Brian is as good at honing as he is at grinding razors, so the razor will come fully shave ready. Brian knows how to provide a wonderfully thin belly grind that is a great shaver. May other American craftsmen only offer quarter-hollow, which I do not like as well, but that is a matter of personal preference. I have two of Brian's semi-custom (6/8" and 7/8") and love both.

Most of the time, Brian offers the semi-custom razors in stock models from his web site. However, every now and then, he will allow people to custom design their own razor by picking their own scales, thumb notch or not, and toe shape.

Brian will also produce a razor to your specifications if you contact him by email and let him know exactly what you want.

I do not own one of Ulrik's creations but everything I have heard about them indicate they are masterpieces. If you are looking for something that is a work of art, yet shaves well, and you have the coin to purchase one, I doubt you will be disappointed in a Koorat. By the way, Ulrik now offers a belly grind that is similar to the one Brian produces according to photos of the blade profile. Since I have not compared them side by side, I cannot tell you which is better., but both look great.

Top Bottom