What's new

Brew Ratio

Always a question whether to weigh. I do now always - weigh the beans to put in my Mazzer and weigh under the cup in my Gaggia Baby as it's filling. Don't have to watch anything except the readout on the scales. Kind of precise and lazy at the same time.

I'm a creature of habit. I always weigh. My brew ratio is always 16:1. I've been following the parameters guidelines created by the SCAA for a V60 pour-over for years.

When traveling in the little RV where space is limited. I take a modified CM-50 grinder, a plastic salsa/dipping cup that holds 48 grams of roasted beans when full, a Melitta #4 plastic dropper (Melitta filters are everywhere), and 1.2 liter thermal carafe that I brew directly.

For shaving I am as compact. 37C slant, 2 shave sticks (Arko and Tabac), 2 AS splash (Clubman and Special Reserve), 1 balm (varies), at least 10 tucks of assorted blades, and a styptic stick.

At home all my grinders are weight basted (Forte BG, SJ electronic) so my consistency never varies.

Shaving is the same. Choices unlimited.

So for me it all depends where I am and what I am doing. BUT. I enjoy everything equally and am satisfied which is all that matters.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have a fairly compact kitchen scale that rarely leaves the counter (and easy to stow when necessary). I always weigh. It's just too easy to do so.

I don't get these ratios of 16:1 etc. I'm used to the usual espresso grams in and grams out, ground coffee to brewed coffee in the cup, which is more like 1:2.

Regarding ratios, 16:1 is the ratio of water to coffee by weight i.e. Water:Coffee.

One can take advantage of the metric system where 1 milliliter of water = 1 gram in order to simplify things. To measure the water by volume and the coffee by weight. So if using a 16:1 ratio and brewing with 1 liter of water would require 62.5 grams (2.2 oz) of coffee.

Seems pretty clunky to me. The coffee comes first, then the water. So 1:2 grounds in, coffee out makes SO much more sense. Talking espresso here.
Clunky how? Just responding to your previous question about the meaning of 16:1. In any case both water and coffee come together and everyone is free to use whatever brewing ratios or nomenclature they like.

I suspect the original poster was asking others about their drip brewing ratios. Espresso is its own method, though 99% of my espresso brews are drank as Americanos where the final ratio might be roughly the same as my drip brews. But I vary those and sometimes like a stronger European style result in the cup.

Brew ratios are a good starting point.

Always adjust your brew to fit your taste.

Once I find out how I like a roast, I will lock in everything and brew the same until that roast is finished.

Never had any complaints, even from devout sugar users that I serve unsweetened coffee to.

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering what your go to brew ratio is? I find myself resorting to 1:16 for most cups. I'm interested in hearing how you prefer to brew yours.
I find that 1: 17 or 1:18 seems to be best for me when using pour over methods. For drip, 1:16 or 1:17 works better. This is my preference for drinking black without too much acid.

I use 30g of beans and 500ml of water in a French press, so roughly 1:17

And yes I weigh my beans out on a kitchen scale and measure my water. Its all part of the ritual.

The grounds tend to soak up about 100ml of the water, and what's left over fills up my favorite 400ml mug perfectly.

For my coffee cup and using an AeroPress, i weigh out 28g of coffee and my volume of water is 4 -5 fl oz which weighs 150g so my ratio, 1:5.4, less coffee then i used to use.

Should note my noted volume is my finished press so some water remains in the grounds meaning my 150g is a touch low.

dave

Top Bottom