What's new

Brew Ratio

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering what your go to brew ratio is? I find myself resorting to 1:16 for most cups. I'm interested in hearing how you prefer to brew yours.

I am not sure of my ratios. I used to follow the recommended guidelines when measuring coffee and water. But over time I have gravitated to making a stronger brew in the morning and a weaker cup later in the day.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I suck at math. I pretty much use a level Tbs. per 6oz of water. But I'm not too careful about it. So with that said....what IS my ratio?

I suck at math. I pretty much use a level Tbs. per 6oz of water. But I'm not too careful about it. So with that said....what IS my ratio?
1 Tbs. =.5oz so if my math is correct 1:12 which would make a rather strong cup of coffee afaik.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
1 Tbs. =.5oz so if my math is correct 1:12 which would make a rather strong cup of coffee afaik.

That's true for water, but ground coffee is substantially less dense. The rule of thumb is that a tablespoon of coffee is about 10 grams, which gets you more like 17:1.

FarmerTan

Thanks guys, in all honesty though, I'm probably closer to a 5 oz cup. But my habit as of late has been to use my Mr Coffee 4 cup drip, make about 10 to 12 oz of water to one and a half Dunkin Donut medium roast Tbs combined with 1/2 Tbs of some super duper dark roast Maxwell House. At least I think it's Maxwell House. I'm getting old. Makes a great tasting cup of strong black coffee.

FarmerTan

Thanks guys, in all honesty though, I'm probably closer to a 5 oz cup. But my habit as of late has been to use my Mr Coffee 4 cup drip, make about 10 to 12 oz of water to one and a half Dunkin Donut medium roast Tbs combined with 1/2 Tbs of some super duper dark roast Maxwell House. At least I think it's Maxwell House. I'm getting old. Makes a great tasting cup of strong black coffee.
That super duper black Maxwell House was given to me by a lady who bought it accidentally. By itself it tastes like tar mixed with bat guano.

The only time I think about is when I get a new brewer. Then I need to find out how much water it uses so I can set the Forte to grind for that amount of water.

Right now I have the grinder set for:

2 cups (American sized cups) 18 grams

1.2 liter which is size of my thermal carafes 42 grams

The 14 cup commercial Bunn 64 grams.

If the brew is strong or weak I'll adjust the grinder weight settings up or down then lock it in for that bean at that roast level.

The Joy's of owning a grinder that runs by weight of the ground coffee. I'm always within half gram accuracy which is close enough for me

proxy.php

That's true for water, but ground coffee is substantially less dense. The rule of thumb is that a tablespoon of coffee is about 10 grams, which gets you more like 17:1.
That makes much more sense. Erred in googling Tbs to oz and trusting whatever came up.

After reading everyone's brewing ratios, I'm starting to think I've been doing things wrong... I use 1.7 grams of coffee to every ounce of water. I use Eight O'clock Columbian Peaks coffee (some day I'll roast my own) and grind it using a Handground grinder and brew with a French press.

FarmerTan

After reading everyone's brewing ratios, I'm starting to think I've been doing things wrong... I use 1.7 grams of coffee to every ounce of water. I use Eight O'clock Columbian Peaks coffee (some day I'll roast my own) and grind it using a Handground grinder and brew with a French press.
But how does it taste?

I've been brewing without the help of a scale for a couple months now.

When I do not have access to a scale I will find a container/vessel that holds the weight I need, then use that every time, adjusting the amount of water if I want stronger or milder coffee.

I use this same method when traveling in our little motorhome as well.

This is what every morning's coffee starts out as. The full measure all gets ground and brewed. About 64-66 grams of beans.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
My usual target is a 16/17:1 ratio. But I rarely weight it unless I am making espresso, and even there I have gotten away from weighing unless I start to have problems in brewing. I use a known scoop and measure by volume before grinding, whether making a single cup or a pot. That said over the past year or more I have been trending to using a slightly higher ratios (less coffee) when brewing anything that is not filtered through paper. The amount of water added my to Americano will vary based on mood or if being drank in conjunction with food.

Top Bottom