What's new

Breville Smart Grinder vs Baratza Virtuoso - opinions, please

After years of using a blade grinder, I have been convinced of the benefits of using a burr grinder in terms of consistency, etc. Most of the coffee I make is french press or pour-over. I don't make espresso very often so micro-adjusting for perfect espresso is not one of my criteria.
After reading several reviews, I have narrowed the decision down to the Breville Smart Grinder and the Baratza Virtuoso. So, gentlemen, what are your experiences? I doubt very few have used both so opinions on what you are using are welcome. Which would you recommend? What do you like/dislike about the one you have? Is there a better grinder in this price range ($180-$240) that I missed?
Please educate me or just sound off. Thanks.

I have never used either grinder but I would choose the Virtuoso. Reasons include having more respect/admiration for the company Baratza and their attention to providing good products and service to coffee enthusiasts. I also prefer the mechanical adjustment system on the Virtuosu over the LCD screen of the Smart Grinder, wondering how well the LCD and electronics behind it might function 10-20 years from now.

But the Smart Grinder looks to be a nice unit, with some attention paid to the details. Maybe it fits your kitchen decor better, or you maybe you have other reasons to prefer it. I think you would be happy with it as well.

If you don't mind hand grinding, the OE Lido 2 is another good option for pour-over and french press.

The Breville has some nice features and for drip or press would be fine. But a few years ago I had to decide and chose Baratza. 2+ years later I still highly recommend it. Having a mechanical adjustment is a plus in my book, and Baratza really stands behind their product. If you do have problems after the warranty expires they have been known to help. They sell just about every part you need to rebuild it, if it was ever necessary. Even if it never comes to that, I like the fact that it's available.

Look at their website because they have refurbished grinders with warranty. I saw an Encore for $99.

Thanks for the opinions. I was leaning to the Baratza and you've confirmed it. It might be a month or two before I pull the trigger but I'll be sure to post some observations once I have it and have used it for a while. Thanks again, guys.

I pulled the trigger on the Baratza Virtuoso today. I ordered on from Amazon. It should be here in a week or so. After I've had a week or so to play with it, I'll post some observations. Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I think you'll really like it. I recently grabbed one of their refurb Virtuosos and have been very happy with the grind so far. I too was coming from a blade grinder.

I know you will like more than your blade grinder. I hope you will enjoy it for a long time and I look forward to reading your thoughts after using it for a while.

I get spanked on occasion on the coffee forums as I am a BIG Baratza "fan boy"

You will enjoy yours. If you find that it is not consistent at the coarser grinds you can do an internal base grind adjustment to make it a better brew grinder. They come set "middle of the road" from the factory. I've done this on all of the ones I have owned so if you need the 411 on how to do this just shout out in the Cafe....

I've owned them since they started in business and never looked back

I currently have 2 of their grinders.... Well 3 of them but the 3rd is at another house.

The two currently out on my counter are a Forte BG (steel burr brew grinder) and a Preciso with an Esatto (weight based grind) attachment.

I've been in and out and around the internals many times as I've rebuild my older models and updated the newer ones.

Nice stuff.

The "current" brew counter at Casa Mick

proxy.php

The old lineup from a few years ago, back row Vario-W, Preciso/Esatto. Front row Maestro plus and Maestro

proxy.php

Wow, Mick! :ouch1:

I'll use it as it comes for a couple of months before I start modifying it. If I decide that's the way to go, I will for sure give you a shout.

BTW, I'm still enjoying your old Muhle R41. Thanks.

Top Bottom