What's new

Breathe Method of Pipe Smoking

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I am dealing with a pretty bad case of tongue/mouth bite after a bowl of Five Brothers tobacco. Hopefully it heals up, but the smoke must continue. I came across a few videos with descriptions of the breathe method. Do any of you use it? It is suppose to cut down on relights, enhance flavors, and cut down on tongue bite.

I went back 15 pages on The Brown Leaf and only found one thread on it that ended with pictures of hot dogs. Hopefully we can keep this one a bit more informative..haha.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Lol!

I think most pipe smokers gradually arrive at doing something that is akin to the “Breathe Method” if they enjoy retrohaling.

I watched a few YouTube vids on it, but the part where you inhale through the nose to create negative pressure in the mouth to draw on the pipe didn’t work for me too well. Either I don’t get enough, or I end up inhaling the smoke.

So for me I just take slow draws on the pipe, and when I blow out the smoke I partially close my lips and open/exhale through the throat/nasal passages so that a wisp of that mouthful of smoke goes through the nose. That mouthful of smoke also passes through the pipe as well if I am clenching the pipe.

If I want even more flavor than I pass the whole mouthful through the nose. But of the time all I need is just a hint of the smoke to pass over the olfactories to enjoy the flavors of the blend.

As far as cooler smoke and less bite, I think it still comes down to your cadence. I would bet you could still freight train a bowl using the breathe method. Slowing the airflow through the burning ember in the bowl is more important that the frequency, if that makes any sense. Ymmv greatly on this tho.

Went and watched a video on this. Will give it a try and report back.

As far as tongue bite goes, I've noticed a few things that reduce it for me:
- Softer puffs while lighting the pipe (helped a lot)
- Slowing my pace
- Making sure my tobacco is dry enough

Getting comfortable with the breath method made my pipe smoking so much more enjoyable. It took some time and patience and I can sometimes smoke a little hot, but it's fantastic. 100% cut down on relights for me. I still have to relight occasionally depending on the tobacco, but before it was almost after every puff!

I see a lot of people recommend drying tobacco. I tried this before I started using the breath method and all it did was make my smoke hotter and lesson the flavor. Some tobacco may need a little drying time, but I have found this to be the exception and not the rule. With the breath method I found that I don't need to dry my tobacco to keep it lit and I can enjoy it more because it smokes cooler.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I can say that after practicing a bit, one of the pipes that I have that burns hot has since substantially cooled. Its still a work in progress and different keeping the pipe in my mouth for the majority of the smoke.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried the Breath Method the other day. The biggest problem I had was, not being a clencher, I developed a lot of jaw fatigue. The pipe I was using was a bit big for clenching, so I will revisit the technique again with a smaller and lighter pipe, perhaps a cob. I definitely need to work on being able to clench for a protracted time as compared to my usual smoking method. In the past when I've tried clenching, I invariably inadvertently would inhale and start a coughing fit (lightweight, I know) but the breath method avoids this if done properly. I just need to work on the technique.

I tried the Breath Method the other day. The biggest problem I had was, not being a clencher, I developed a lot of jaw fatigue. The pipe I was using was a bit big for clenching, so I will revisit the technique again with a smaller and lighter pipe, perhaps a cob. I definitely need to work on being able to clench for a protracted time as compared to my usual smoking method. In the past when I've tried clenching, I invariably inadvertently would inhale and start a coughing fit (lightweight, I know) but the breath method avoids this if done properly. I just need to work on the technique.

The majority of my pipes are either light, bent, stubby or a combination of the 3 for this reason. I do love clenching as I find my pipe smoking extremely relaxing this way. I never have issues inhaling with the breath method, but I’ve been doing it for a while, so I’m pretty comfortable with the technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

\The biggest problem I had was, not being a clencher, I developed a lot of jaw fatigue.

Alternatively, you can just keep a hand on the pipe. The important thing (I think) is to keep the pipe in your mouth. I normally smoke on the porch in a chair so I just rest my elbow and keep one hand on the pipe.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have heard anecdotal stories that keeping the stem in one spot too long and clenching too hard can move teeth around affecting ones bite. Rather than biting down I try to balance the pipe on my lip or chin depending on the bend.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I’ve been having jaw fatigue trying to find a comfortable spot with my varying pipes. I’ll get the hang of it eventually. By the way, my Larrysson is a smoke machine using the breathing method. Much different than the Weibe

I’ve been having jaw fatigue trying to find a comfortable spot with my varying pipes. I’ll get the hang of it eventually. By the way, my Larrysson is a smoke machine using the breathing method. Much different than the Weibe

My full bent Weibe is an awesome clencher and great smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be a perfect pipe smoker one should learn Breathing and smoking technique not at same time. As we breathe, we come to know the technique of bifurcating it without tongue bites.

I tried pipe smoking many years ago and had very little luck / enjoyment. I have recently picked it up again and am trying the breath method. Yesterday I was able to go through an entire bowl with no relighting. For me it's transformational and I'm just starting. I can see how it can become completely natural.

I tried pipe smoking many years ago and had very little luck / enjoyment. I have recently picked it up again and am trying the breath method. Yesterday I was able to go through an entire bowl with no relighting. For me it's transformational and I'm just starting. I can see how it can become completely natural.
Not easy,dont worry about the pipe going out,just relight.Dont let the bowl get hot,just let it rest and then relight.Tastes
better that way.Hold the flame above the tobacco when relighting matches work well.Lot to learn,puffing at the same time as breathing through your nose not easy.

I'm trying this "breath method" now. It makes it easy to sip the blend as I smoke, it does allow more flavor, the pipe does not get as hot, and the smoke session can last quite a bit longer. I'm not finding it necessary to clench the pipe to follow this method, though. Holding the pipe in my hand, my normal routine, works fine.

Yesterday I tried the breath method as I smoked my MM hardwood with some Edward G. Robinson in it. The airflow on that pipe is like a wide tunnel compared to the airflow on my briars, so I had to slow down even more. Still, the pipe (which has given me trouble in the past) stayed lit for a good 20 minutes as compared to the 10-15 I've had before; it did not get hot; and I tasted some good flavors from the EGR.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I am dealing with a pretty bad case of tongue/mouth bite after a bowl of Five Brothers tobacco. Hopefully it heals up, but the smoke must continue. I came across a few videos with descriptions of the breathe method. Do any of you use it? It is suppose to cut down on relights, enhance flavors, and cut down on tongue bite.

I went back 15 pages on The Brown Leaf and only found one thread on it that ended with pictures of hot dogs. Hopefully we can keep this one a bit more informative..haha.
I suppose I do from time to time throughout the day. I don’t pay much attention to how I’m smoking as it is a near constant activity in the background of whatever I happen to be doing. As far as tongue bite goes, I used to experience it often with various blends but no longer get bite regardless of what I’m smoking or how I’m smoking it. I read somewhere that your body Ph played a significant role in it. I went back through my medical records and found that my Ph had indeed changed since I changed my diet. Maybe there is some truth to it. I just don’t know.

As you breath in and out through your nose,you observe smoke coming in and out of the pipe ,sufficient enough often to keep the pipe smoking beautifully.In order to achieve this your nose needs to be clear and the pipe free flowing and the pipe packed as loose as you can get away with .I smoke a izmir based tobacco,which i mix myself ,low in nicotine,and more important no mouth sores and considering the low nicotine relaxing.
So i have renamed the breath method as the DO NOTHING METHOD..
Latakia,cigar leaf,black cavandish work well in small quantities for me as blending components.
I love dark burley,and Kentucky,but do not like me,shakes me up and mouth sores.

Top Bottom