What's new

Breaking This SR Shaving Addiction

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

You could do as I did and grow a beard, but was only able to last 7 months before me yearning for a shave and then the whole deal starts over again.
Seven months! You much more self-control than I have. I remember the anguish I went through a few years ago when I didn't SR shave for 36 hours. That's was to prepare for a barber's traditional SR shave in Cebu. I wanted to make sure he earned his fee.

Seven months! You much more self-control than I have. I remember the anguish I went through a few years ago when I didn't SR shave for 36 hours. That's was to prepare for a barber's traditional SR shave in Cebu. I wanted to make sure he earned his fee.
I usually go without a shave on Saturdays. I think perhaps you could also benefit from this tradition?

"I didn't SR shave for 36 hours" - Well, maybe take a week off and see what it's like to shave a heavy beard. I always find that to be enjoyable.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
We know it's an addiction.

What have you decided to do to try and break your SR shaving addiction and how is it progressing?

I have decided to try and shave at least one pass once each week with a "safety" razor. Plan starting on Friday.
I haven’t used any other razor since I started April 28 2018. I don’t even own another type of razor. It isn’t an addiction; just a preference.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I haven’t used any other razor since I started April 28 2018. I don’t even own another type of razor. It isn’t an addiction; just a preference.
You don't know it's an addiction until you try to go cold-turkey without it. If going cold-turkey affects you, even just a small amount mentally, you have an addiction.

After 20/25 years of DE I've been thinking about switching to SR for a long time.
but I'm scared ... just like for DE’s everyone says that a razor, a stone and a strop are enough.
maximum €200
but by my standards 2k wouldn't be enough for start the adventure
a NOS philharmonic, some Japanese stone tops, synthetics, etc
I know myself, I'm dangerous !
I do this with near everything
luckily in Italy it is not easy to buy guns etc …
I'll spare you the phase of passion for firearms
I left the house to go to the shooting range looking like I was going out for a bear hunting :)

On a serious note, if you have a problem or fixation with shaving or anything else really, then maybe it is time to do something about it. I have spent a little more than I should this past year on razors. This year I think I have found something to keep it in check. It's called 'pranayama', or in English - breathing exercises. I know that sounds ordinary, but don't knock it until you try it. I use an Android app called 'Prana Breath", and I highly recommend it.

I’ve been doing the beard for a while and focused on other hobbies. It just translated to the other stuff lol.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My First Step In SR Shaving Rehab

I am starting by trying to overcome my fear of shaving with a "safety" razor. The goal this morning was to perform a full pass using a "safety" razor. For this, I used a Ming Shi 2000S.

Prepping and lathering up as usual, I performed a three-pass SR shave (WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG in opposite direction) for my typical DFS+ finish. This was done with my recently restored French point "Bengall". All went well. I then again lathered up for a fourth pass with the 2000S.

IMG_20230106_081453.jpg

To help allay my fear, I chose the 1.5 setting on the 2000S and performed a WTG pass only, starting on my cheeks. The first stroke was mentally the hardest but I survived!

That first stroke went so well that I continued the 2000S shave over the rest of my face. This 2000S WTG pass was probably the most comfortable that I have ever experienced with any razor, although rinsing off after, there was no improvement in the closeness.

I am going to keep on using the Ming Shi 2000S every Friday after my normal SR shave until I can master XTG passes with it. Once that is achieved, I will start the routine again. Then I will fit a DE blade into the 2000S and see how it shaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom