What's new

Breaking This SR Shaving Addiction

We know it's an addiction.

What have you decided to do to try and break your SR shaving addiction and how is it progressing?

I have decided to try and shave at least one pass once each week with a "safety" razor. Plan starting on Friday.
I have always held that to easily get rid of a bad habit, find a good habit with which to replace it. Or course it can work in reverse, though I am yet to test this hypothesis. :)

I think if you start smoking ice (freebase meth), that should probably work. You soon won't care at all about your facial hair or your appearance. You can expect to find yourself running around people's back yards at night looking for stuff to steal in order to support such a habit.

Then of course there is alcohol, tobacco, and of course gambling. So choose your addiction/s carefully!!

We know it's an addiction.

What have you decided to do to try and break your SR shaving addiction and how is it progressing?

I have decided to try and shave at least one pass once each week with a "safety" razor. Plan starting on Friday.
Nope, It didn't work for me.

Started the other way around with DE's, SE's, 63 last count and now went doen the SR rabbit hole. 27 already

Soaps, stopped at 50 and then pifed some away.

Tried to replace the Wet shaving habit with Fountain pens, ended up with pens and inks to write several encyclopedias with.

Cigars, the same, neckties, 1000 before started giving them away.

Fishkeeping, I already sold most of my tanks, now down to just 1 50 gal.

Tea, of all things, have an overflow of tea bags and boxes spanning from the kitchen to the dinning room to the living room.

Addiction is not limited to Straight razors but rather a way of living, so no matter what you choose, you'll end up the same.

I went with wanting to be able to shave with "any" razor. So I took a year away from the straight. Well, Surgery on my hand helped as I couldn't safely hold a straight. Now that I have brought my "Other Razor" count to 114 and have learned to use them all proficiently, I went back to the straight. I try to use a straight twice a week, A DE twice a week, an SE, Shavette, and/or a newer razor once a week. I'm starting to think I will never need to hone again.

Who am I kidding? I will still pick up an odd straight to fix up and hone now and then. Plus with 200+ straights, something is going to not be as perfect as I think it should be. That will keep me honing.

Good luck with your search for breaking the habit. Mine just got bigger. :mad2:

I had a full beard for 7 years, no shaving at all. No buying and sold most of my shaving gear. Now I’m back full steam ahead.

I have no immediate plans on abstaining.

Most (working) Monday mornings, I shave with a DE. Partially because I always feel a little rushed and that's not conducive to a good straight shave, but also because I like to be able to use my DE razors and blades as well. In fact, just typing this has prompted me to pull out the Wunderbar for tonight's shave.

I'm still at the learning stage of straight shaving, with less than 200 shaves, so I do enjoy those shaves much more.

As for addiction, I think I'm not as hooked as most here*. I have no plans to expand my den this year, and will probably PIF a razor to keep the number of straights I own to 10.

*Of course, compared to normies in the real world, I am a basket case! :)

The actual shaving part using a straight, I consider a clean, wholesome habit. It's the buying of new stuff to support that, that is the addiction.

I've decided to be content with what I have. I have several razors, all of which I'm satisfied with. They all shave comfortably and well. I have shaving bowls and and scuttles of all types. Of the soaps I have, a good 2/3's will probably go rancid before I can use them all. I bought honing stones even though I cannot hone worth a damn and bought some cheap Gold Dollar razors to practice. I've sent razors out to be honed until then.

I don't think I've spent so much money since I was into guitars. I've cut myself off for the rest of the year...

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My addiction is not acquiring SR shaving gear. I can handle that problem reasonably well. Food is a higher priority that shaving gear for me.

My addiction is the actual SR shaving part. I am thinking of my next SR shave at least a few times during the day. I am feeling my face numerous times during the day wondering whether my whiskers have grown enough to warrant another shave less than 24 hours after the last shave. People have stopped having any general conversation with me because I am always trying to bring it round to SR shaving. You get the idea?

On Friday morning I will perform my normal three-pass SR shave. A fourth and full final pass will be performed with my Ming Shi 2000S dialed up to 6. I am feeling confident that I can overcome my fear of "safety" razors.

If I can eventually switch to "safety" razor shaving, perhaps my SR addiction will go into remission.

My addiction is not acquiring SR shaving gear. I can handle that problem reasonably well. Food is a higher priority that shaving gear for me.

My addiction is the actual SR shaving part. I am thinking of my next SR shave at least a few times during the day. I am feeling my face numerous times during the day wondering whether my whiskers have grown enough to warrant another shave less than 24 hours after the last shave. People have stopped having any general conversation with me because I am always trying to bring it round to SR shaving. You get the idea?

On Friday morning I will perform my normal three-pass SR shave. A fourth and full final pass will be performed with my Ming Shi 2000S dialed up to 6. I am feeling confident that I can overcome my fear of "safety" razors.

If I can eventually switch to "safety" razor shaving, perhaps my SR addiction will go into remission.
You know it won't...

To solve my addiction of acquiring shaving gear I have just made myself very picky. Everything needs to be mint condition, rare, and at a price that it gets bought immediately. My purchases have dropped tremendously:).

For shaving addiction you could run a test to compare how much stable shows after 24 hours to see what edge does best?

Reactions: Wid
...If I can eventually switch to "safety" razor shaving, perhaps my SR addiction will go into remission.

No, then you will be even more disappointed and want to shave even more than you do now. You will then not want to sacrifice the number of SR shaves for DE shaves, but you will still want to shave with a DE. In the end you will try shaving twice daily, and think about shaving hourly. Don't do it...

... or do. I mean it's not as bad for you as doing Ice like Aussie said. Then instead of collecting razors and shaving all the time you would be cutting catalytic converters off, never shower, and collecting cheap truck stop flashlights.

yeah, the quality and ritual of a safety razor shave will leave you lacking. BTW, men did used to shave twice daily--remember that term "5 o'clock shadow"? My Dad and his Dad only did 1 pass shaves with their Gillette Fatboys... But if they were going out that night, they would have a second shave.

I am feeling my face numerous times during the day wondering whether my whiskers have grown enough to warrant another shave less than 24 hours after the last shave.
I'm still on my learning curve as far as SR's goes so I'm touching my face but for the opposite reason, wondering if tomorrow's shave will remove all my whiskers that were spared by today's shave.

Back on my DE's days, yes, I admit that went thru that phase of touching my face specially when using my most efficient razor, R41, and also wondering if shaving the next day would be overkill.

You could do as I did and grow a beard, but was only able to last 7 months before me yearning for a shave and then the whole deal starts over again.

Top Bottom