What's new

Breaking in new Synthetic Brush

Hello, I just looked through the stickies on brushes but I didn't see anything about breaking in a new synthetic brush. I just received a brand new Turn-n-Shave Chess synthetic brush and I'm wondering what I need to do, if anything, before I start using it. The brush doesn't smell and seems to be clean. Should I soak it in Dawn and warm water before using?

Thank you,
Cliff

No break in required, just do a test-lather in a bowl or your hand to give it a nice cleaning with your soap or cream of choice, and that's it.

Welcome to the fun world of synthetics where de-stinking, tip-splitting, and softening are not required!

It's a good idea to wash it before use but mainly for sanitation pourposes... Synths don't need breakage, it's capabilities are there from day 1.
Cheers

Chess piece brush is fantastic, you'll love it!

Just do one test lather on your palm or bowl and it's good to go!

Stiff synthies do have a breaking in period though much shorter than for a badger. It's like toothbrushes that lose their stiffness after a few uses.

I totally agree with this.
They don't need breaking in, in the sense that the tips will get softer (like boar brushes for example), but they still need a few uses to get to their full potential.

Top Bottom