What's new

Breaking in Boar Question

I wouldn’t say your brush is broken in but it is breaking in.

Most Boar brushes are fine and “work” right off the bat. As you continue to use it it will continue to soften and the performance will become even better.

I wouldn’t say your brush is broken in but it is breaking in.

Most Boar brushes are fine and “work” right off the bat. As you continue to use it it will continue to soften and the performance will become even better.
I was expecting poor lathering, smell, and discomfort of which I’ve been pleased of having not experienced any of those frequently posted complaints.

If you want more backbone just soak the bristle in cold water for 2 or 3 minutes. If you want it to be softer soak it in warm water for about 5 minutes. You don't need warm water for soaking at all.

So, I have a small shallow bowl that I put in a 1/2" of hot water and allowed the brush to soak while I brushed my teeth.

I can now understand the popularity of the Semogue 1305 since it is producing very good quality later. I don't feel the bristles as much now as I did the first time. To be honest, it appears to be a lather hog and makes plenty for three passes if needed.

Semogue 1470. 2nd day in the fridge.
sb.jpg

Stop over thinking it and use it! They’re good to go as soon as you get them and they only get better with use - just use it - if you want be fickle then stick it in the fridge in a bowl of water for three days and then dry it out and then use it but that’s the key - use it

Stop over thinking it and use it! They’re good to go as soon as you get them and they only get better with use - just use it - if you want be fickle then stick it in the fridge in a bowl of water for three days and then dry it out and then use it but that’s the key - use it
I'm not having any problems with the brush. It's worked great since I got it.

That was my experience with the Omega 49. It was great from day one and has only gotten better with use. The Vulfix does seem to be improving, so I'll stick it out and use it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I kinda like the scruffy nature of the boar. No need to be softer.

Yes, that's sort of what a boar brush is all about.

There's definitely some splitting in your photos, which just goes to show that simply using the brush is all it takes and that it doesn't take much at all. All these elaborate tactics, machinations, and incantations just aren't necessary.

There's definitely some splitting in your photos, which just goes to show that simply using the brush is all it takes and that it doesn't take much at all. All these elaborate tactics, machinations, and incantations just aren't necessary.

Okay, and it’s good that you noticed the splitting also.

I kinda like the scruffy nature of the boar. No need to be softer.

It's not that I want it to be softer . . . it's just that the Vulfix seems to eat soap like no other brush I've ever had, and by that I mean that I have to add more soap and water between passes, something I don't have to do with the Omega except on very rare occasions. As I said before, it seems to be improving a bit, but its performance is still not as comparable as the Omega was on it's first use.

It's not that I want it to be softer . . . it's just that the Vulfix seems to eat soap like no other brush I've ever had, and by that I mean that I have to add more soap and water between passes, something I don't have to do with the Omega except on very rare occasions. As I said before, it seems to be improving a bit, but its performance is still not as comparable as the Omega was on it's first use.
Have you ever lightly squeezed the soap out of the brush?

That's the odd thing about this brush: even loading it identically to the way I load the Omega 49 the Vulfix seems to dry out or "lose" lather between passes (I usually do a three-pass shave and touch-up where needed).

When I bought my first boars 2 months back they wouldn't hold much lather and the ones it held tended to disappear after a pass. Gradual usage improved the lather it holds and releases.

So, today is my fourth use of the Semogue 1305. This little brush is already softening up and making lather like a Jersey produces milk. I mean syrupy, slimy, thick stuff that paints on well and when it drips is slow and clingy.

The more I study boar bristles the more I love this brush and see it's potential. I'm considering a 610 or 620 just because I like the clear acrylic handle.

Top Bottom