What's new

Breaking in Boar Question

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Could I just load, scrub a surface, and rinse 20 times to break in. I am considering a Semogue 2000, but I don't want to have to attempt to shave with it 20 times,

As I understand it, what helps split the ends of boar bristles are the wet/dry cycles. Boar bristles absorb water unlike badger hairs and synthetic fibers. Expansion and contraction from being wet then drying causes the split ends and the bristles fibers to break down over time.

It took 6 solid months of every other day shaving with my Omega boar before I called it broken in. At around the 6 month mark I noticed the tips starting to turn pure white when wet.

IMG_2347.jpg IMG_2344.jpg

Since I took those pictures, the white ends have gotten a little bit longer. I think, once the entire length turns white the brush will be worn out, but that would take many years. It still has loads of backbone, but those tips are as soft as a cloud.

As I understand it, what helps split the ends of boar bristles are the wet/dry cycles. Boar bristles absorb water unlike badger hairs and synthetic fibers. Expansion and contraction from being wet then drying causes the split ends and the bristles fibers to break down over time.

It took 6 solid months of every other day shaving with my Omega boar before I called it broken in. At around the 6 month mark I noticed the tips starting to turn pure white when wet.

View attachment 912963 View attachment 912962

Since I took those pictures, the white ends have gotten a little bit longer. I think, once the entire length turns white the brush will be worn out, but that would take many years. It still has loads of backbone, but those tips are as soft as a cloud.
Thank you. :)

I am mostly a badger guy, so take this with a grain of salt. My break in routine is to simply use the brush, then let it dry well before the next use. That has always worked for me. KISS!

I am mostly a badger guy, so take this with a grain of salt. My break in routine is to simply use the brush, then let it dry well before the next use. That has always worked for me. KISS!
We’ll see tomorrow BJ when the boar arrives. It might be just fine.

+2.
I avoided boars but when I finally got a couple, no "breaking in" was necessary. The brushes were comfortable from the beginning. After a month, both were softer, and they've continued to improve, but they were perfectly usable on day one.

That was my experience with the Omega 49, but I recently got a Vulfix 2233 boar that seems to need a lot more soap and frequent adding of (drops) of water. It is smaller than the Omega 49 and hasn't been used nearly as much, but the Omega seemed to be a gem from day one. I am tempted to replace the boar knot in the Vulfix with a synthetic knot at this point, but I don't want to give up on it just yet. :(

I loaded it up after soaking for 45 minutes or so in warm water. It made lather quickly and was not harsh against my skin. I think it will be a good addition. It splayed out considerably.

Don't give up on your boar brush. It only gets better.

It tool a lot of shaves (6 month usage) till my Proraso boar brush was turned from wire bristles to a soft with awesome backbone and splay. Call that an investment for a 8 usd buy.

Your boar brush will only get better with usage.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Could I just load, scrub a surface, and rinse 20 times to break in. I am considering a Semogue 2000, but I don't want to have to attempt to shave with it 20 times,
I’ve used the same 00040 Omega boar almost daily for over eight years and I can vouch for a broken in boar. I probably should buy another and start breaking it in just in case there is a lifespan. It won’t take long to break in and will be well worth the trouble. With a plastic handle, you can just leave unrinsed in your shaving bowl and that will speed up the process.

Last edited:
I’ve used the same 00040 Omega boar almost daily for over eight years and I can vouch for a broken in boar. I probably should buy another and start breaking it in just in case there is a lifespan. Anyway I would recommend using it but not rinsing it more than once a week until it feels good. Just leave it soapy wet in your mug. It will NOT damage the brush and it will hasten the break in period. I’ve left mine in a mug many many times - improves lathering too. If it somehow damages the brush, I’ll buy you another of your choice - promise.
The boar brush came yesterday and I used this morning. It works perfectly.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Excellent but you read my post too quickly. I edited it when I saw yours has a wooden handle. I wouldn’t recommend leaving it I rinsed in a bowl. Plastic fine but I wouldn’t try it with wood. I use my Badger brush as a source for hair to test razor edges while I’m honing. I really prefer boar. Also, while yours performs well now, it will get even better.

Excellent but you read my post too quickly. I edited it when I saw yours has a wooden handle. I wouldn’t recommend leaving it I rinsed in a bowl. Plastic fine but I wouldn’t try it with wood. I use my Badger brush as a source for hair to test razor edges while I’m honing. I really prefer boar. Also, while yours performs well now, it will get even better.
I have an antique scuttle that I stick the brush into where the handle can’t get wet.

Does this brush appear to be broken in?

Attachments

• 2F0BCC47-F90E-4686-87DD-F657002A8AAB.jpeg
    2F0BCC47-F90E-4686-87DD-F657002A8AAB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 4F6B361B-E9DF-4404-B9F7-2270D0B9E953.jpeg
    4F6B361B-E9DF-4404-B9F7-2270D0B9E953.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
It's just the beginning . The hair seems not spilt yet to me
Okay, it has been used to make lather twice. Does that surprise you? The reason I posted the photo is because of the posts saying the boar brushes take a long time, months even, to break in.

Okay, it has been used to make lather twice. Does that surprise you? The reason I posted the photo is because of the posts saying the boar brushes take a long time, months even, to break in.

I can't speak as I have only tried one boar brush so far. Others may say express a more founded opinion. IMHO the process has started. Don't worry just enjoy it.

Top Bottom