What's new

Breaking in Bizon horsehide strop.

You could also try to smooth things there with the shaft of a large screwdriver PROVIDED that the shaft has been been sanded smooth to avoid burrs scratching the leather surface (been there, done that--hi Paul).

I could not be more sorry to not have mentioned the sanding smooth or checking the screwdriver first :(
It does work well though.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
That's good to hear. Looks like the wrinkling or bubbling is only located in that area as shown. Perhaps you could cut off the remaining section and use it as a paddle strop. You could also try to smooth things there with the shaft of a large screwdriver PROVIDED that the shaft has been been sanded smooth to avoid burrs scratching the leather surface (been there, done that--hi Paul).

Once the skin side has lifted from the fibrous part of the leather, the resulting flaw is called "break" and there is no going back. The structure is damaged and while the wrinkles can be rolled or pressed down they will pop back up as soon as it if flexed again. Never roll good leather skin side in, at least not in a tight circle. I always ship new strops gently rolled skin side out and no tighter than about a 12" diameter circle. The Fast Bridle has a bit more delicate skin than say my steerhide and some horsehide so is more prone to this, especially if shipped wrong.

Once the skin side has lifted from the fibrous part of the leather, the resulting flaw is called "break" and there is no going back. The structure is damaged and while the wrinkles can be rolled or pressed down they will pop back up as soon as it if flexed again. Never roll good leather skin side in, at least not in a tight circle. I always ship new strops gently rolled skin side out and no tighter than about a 12" diameter circle. The Fast Bridle has a bit more delicate skin than say my steerhide and some horsehide so is more prone to this, especially if shipped wrong.

Thanks for your insight on this. Looks like the best to salvage it would be to cut it down and use it that way.

Top Bottom