What's new

Breaking in A Semogue 1305

I guess this is a 2 part question, may need to post in the Noob Shave clinic as well.

I purchased a Semogue 1305 as my first brush and am about 5 shaves in.

I am bowl lathering Proraso cream. Now I am able to get a nice rich lather in the bowl, but that where is kind of ends.

Once I start to lather my face I notice most of the lather ends up at the bottom of the brush. Nothing stays towards the middle part at the head of the brush.

I need to twirl the brush and wipe the lather on my face and then use a painting stroke to apply. I am finding the brush splays quite a bit.

Is this normal?
Will it change as the brush breaks in?

I am thinking my technique is wrong, but any advice would be appreciated.

(mods, feel free to move to correct forum)

Thanks in advance

Make sure you give it ample time to thoroughly dry. The wet dry cycle is what causes the tips to split and brush improve.

I am finding the brush splays quite a bit.

Is this normal?
Will it change as the brush breaks in?

Don't think that breakin will change the splay on that brush. My only experience with a Semogue was an 830 that was very wellbroken in and I parted ways with it because of too much splay. It just smushed out on my face when trying to face lather. YMMV, but I find my Omega 10049, 10029, and 10066 to be much more effective brushes. The tips of the Omega's split very nicely for that nice soft feeling on my face and yet has plenty of backbone to massage my face with the tips.

From what I've read, the Semogue 620 receives very high marks for it's backbone. It seems to be well-regarded by face-latherers. If the 1305 splays too much for you, maybe a 620 is more up your alley. The knot/loft on the 1305 is 22/55mm. On the 620 it's 21/50, so it's a smaller brush, likely with less flex. That being said, I've not lathered with either, but after reading through several threads on here, I decided to go with the 620 instead of the 1305, partly because of the issue you're describing. I'm sure it would go quickly on BST, however, should you decided it's not for you. I have the exact problem you're describing with my EJ BB brush, which prompted me to look for alternatives.

i'm not ready to give up on it just yet. Want to give it some more time, however i'm due for a 620 or a SOC.

Want to have a few in the rotation and see which will be my go to.

Still looking for any opinions and advice on anything different as far as lathering.

Thanks

Just keep at it Ihateclaims. Sounds like your getting some kind of lather there. Both the brush and your technique need time to fully break in. That brush is one of the best shaving brushes out there. Ive been at it for over 15 years with all this and I'm still discovering new and better ways of doing things. Best of luck Joe...

Just keep at it Ihateclaims. Sounds like your getting some kind of lather there. Both the brush and your technique need time to fully break in. That brush is one of the best shaving brushes out there. Ive been at it for over 15 years with all this and I'm still discovering new and better ways of doing things. Best of luck Joe...

+1 on this advice
My 1305 is requiring more breakin than my badger, but I'm enjoying its ability to face lather. Play around with your water/cream ratio. Sounds like you may be starting with a bit too much water and getting a lather that is too airy. In my limited experience with lather, I've discovered that what I thought was rich was only the beginning of what lather can be :)

FWIW, I always use a paintbrush type stroke last after initially applying the lather with more pressure and swirl-type strokes.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have decided to keep it but have purchased a Semogue SOC as its companion.

This should give me a brush with more backbone to face lather and will allow my 1305 to dry properly between shaves as I can now alternate.

Going to try some Italian soft soaps as well.

I'm enjoying the learning curve!

Italian soft soaps are nice :001_smile
Don't be afraid to go back to the soap between passes. I still have to adjust my soap/water ratio in my brush between passes at times. The key is getting a good lather, by whatever means possible.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have decided to keep it but have purchased a Semogue SOC as its companion.

This should give me a brush with more backbone to face lather and will allow my 1305 to dry properly between shaves as I can now alternate.

Going to try some Italian soft soaps as well.

I'm enjoying the learning curve!

I know it is a bit late since you've ordered the SOC (which is a great brush IMO) but maybe you should check this thread
And another comment to your first post regarding the splay - it will not splay less with use, but it will be easier to lather up and the tips will be nice and soft.

Top Bottom