What's new

Breakfast in Bed Menu Recommendations

Mom's 50th is Saturday. She has mentioned enough to be more than a hint that she's never had breakfast in bed unless she was in the hospital having one of us.

So this Saturday, I am going to give her breakfast in bed.

I am not sure what would be a bad idea for a BinB. Most mornings she had oatmeal or cold cereal. When she goes out for breakfast it's a full on Southern breakfast of biscuits, gravy, eggs over easy, grits and hash browns. Not sure if that would go over too well and I don't really cook, so that eliminates gravy, eggs and hash browns.

Her favorite sweet breakfast treat are the apple fritters sold at Kroger, so that is going to make an appearance.

But what else? I'm thinking I should stay away from a menu item that include syrup. But if not, Leggo my Eggo!

I really want to knock this one out of the park to wrest the spot of favored soon away from Saint Douglas of Perpetual Perfection.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1610640080823.png

Just avoid stuff that will drip and make a mess.

If you can poach eggs and mix up hollandaise or béarnaise sauce from a packet, you could fix her Eggs Benedict. It’s fancy looking, but not hard to make. The egg poaching is the hardest part.
This for sure.

A couple eggs, a bit of ham, bacon or even smoked salmon and a toasted English muffin. Holland from a package works just fine but making it yourself is super easy (butter, lemon juice and egg yolk) and tastes better.

Add a few sausages or bacon and maybe home fries or Hash browns and you are done.

bonus points for a fruit garnish (even orange or melon) and sparkling wine/mimosa. 👍

Oh, using scrambled egggs vs poached tastes great also and is easier. 👍

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Poaching eggs is actually pretty easy. Fill a wide pan about an inch deep with water, bring it to a boil. Add a small splash of vinegar. Rack the heat back to a simmer. Crack the eggs into small cups like those little Pyrex custard cups, one egg per cup. Get out your slotted spoon and swirl the water very gently. Slip the eggs into the center of the slowly spinning water. Fish them out when done to your liking with your slotted spoon.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
K.I.S.S.

I'll let you figure that one out above.

1. Got's ta have eggs. Scramble them very slowly in butter in a non-stick skillet. Just a pinch of salt and ground pepper.
2. Buy the hash browns in the bag...read the directions on the side of the bag.
3. Bacon or Canadian bacon. The Canadian bacon is easiest
4. I little fruit like blueberries, orange or apple.
5. Orange juice, coffee, tea or a combination
6. A small vase with a flower in it.
7. Most importantly a little kiss on the check with a, "I love you mom, enjoy"

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
If you can poach eggs and mix up hollandaise or béarnaise sauce from a packet [...].
Eric:
proxy.php
Saw this 'on-the-net'...doubt I would try it myself...no thank you. No Siree. ;)

"Hard-Boiled Egg Yolks Are Key For An Easy-To-Make Hollandaise Sauce"

By Kalea Martin - daily meal - 6 Feb 24

"Hollandaise sauce is the perfect sauce to put on eggs benedict, poached eggs, or roasted asparagus. But, let's be honest, it isn't the easiest thing to make. Though it comes together with just three simple ingredients — egg yolks, clarified butter, and an acid such as lemon juice or vinegar — there's a lot of room for error.

Use butter that's a little too hot, for example, and the eggs could easily curdle. Use the wrong ratio of ingredients, and the mixture could start to separate. 😭

proxy.php

The unstable nature of the classic French sauce is reason enough to resort to the jarred or powdered kind. But there's actually a shortcut that can make it easier to prepare from scratch.

Instead of whisking raw egg yolks over a double boiler, simply hard boil them, then blend them up with the clarified butter and lemon juice until it turns into a sauce.

Even though this method breaks the rules of a traditional hollandaise, there's no risk of accidental overcooking, and it looks and tastes nearly identical to the real thing.

proxy.php

If hollandaise sauce is so temperature sensitive, you might be wondering why it's possible to substitute raw egg yolks for
hard-boiled ones.

The short answer is that the conventional method relies on an emulsion, while the shortcut only mimics one.[...]

Though they do break down well, hard-boiled egg yolks can't be emulsified since emulsions can only form between liquids.

Therefore, instead of combining them with the other hollandaise ingredients through heat and vigorous whisking, they have to be blended together.

This doesn't technically result in a true hollandaise, but you'll still be able to serve the sauce in the same way".

Read More: Make Hollandaise Sauce Easy

proxy.php
"If you look upon [round toast, ham, poached eggs, hollandaise] and lust [with the same eye]...you have already committed breakfast in your heart”. Anonymous

Last edited:
Top Bottom