What's new

Break Out Your Board and Start Your Irons

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
i used to starch ,crease my clothes and hang em all until i had a stroke in 2013now my gf does all the laundry
I am sorry to hear this friend. My stroke was very minor, but it did effect me in some areas cognitively. In other words, what little filter I had left is nearly gone in some social settings.

A large part of my college wardrobe was vintage perma press shirts. Those were always smooth and crisp (but not stiff) right out of the dryer, unlike modern “no-iron” shirts, which look like garbage if not ironed. I can only guess they were made of something carcinogenic or we’d still be making shirts like that today.

Many years ago, when I joined the Army cadets, my mother taught me how to iron my kit. When I left home, I always ironed my shirts - jeans and T shirts never got ironed. However since I moved to SE Asia I have always had a maid and only iron a shirt if I want to wear a specific one and Lily hasn't got around to it...

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Brings back memories of college. Always set aside an hour before going out to starch and iron a shirt. (This was 50+ years ago; one did not wear T-shirts on dates. Quaint, huh?)

Laundries are doing such a lousy job on shirts these days (especially for what they're charging), that I'm likely to buy a board and an iron in the near future. I don't dress for anyone else, just myself--and I like to look good, even if locked down.

In the meantime, I'm making do with a steamer, which at least keeps things from looking slept in.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What! I guess you iron your underwear and socks too. Well, truthfully, I always ironed my handkerchiefs. I wonder, does anyone here even remember handkerchiefs?
I've carried one since Junior High skool.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What! I guess you iron your underwear and socks too. Well, truthfully, I always ironed my handkerchiefs. I wonder, does anyone here even remember handkerchiefs?

I usually remember mine. If I forget, it's a bad day.

Mrs. Hippie and I both use hankies. (Find that a bit cutesy? Try "snot-rag".)

We both make them. I found some nice linen at the fabric store a couple of years ago that made some great ones. Mostly I buy a fairly high-thread-count cotton. Mrs. Hippie makes hers by recycling worn-out flannel sheets. Occasionally I'll steal one when I'm having a runny nose; quite comforting when the nose is getting a little sore! I also occasionally hoot my honker on a good old-fashioned bandanna.

It's about time to make some more. I've been considering options. I'll cut out a bunch, then set up the ironing board and the treadle sewing machine. Should hold me another year or so. Maybe a patterned fabric this year...

I have ironed handkerchiefs. Mostly I fold them warm right out of the dryer and they look fine. I also have ironed shirts and slacks. My father made sure I mastered the manly arts of keeping my uniform sharp, including shining shoes and brass, tying ties, tailoring for better fit or style, and of course laundry and ironing. My mother made sure I did, too, but with the aim of making me a good husband rather than a good soldier.

They tried, anyway.

O.H.

Legion

Staff member
My iron is probably older than I am, but that bad boy still works fine. When I had a white collar desk job it got used all the time on shirts and pants, but now it just gets a run on occasion. I see no reason to replace it with a newer one. Get it hot, flatten clothes. How much can technology have progressed? Turn it on with my phone?

E43A845C-4687-4CD5-96E7-310A1D7DE264.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hey, nice one of resurrect! It reminds me that my iron is dying and I need a new one. Can anyone recommend a brand/model?

I always iron my shirts etc. Reason? I like to do it and why would I expect anyone else to do it? It's like shaving, it gives you a chance to think, reflect and relax. Besides giving you a shirt etc that looks good and makes you look better.

I iron my uniforms and any pants or shirts that need it. I'm going away from jeans and t shirts, my everyday clothes are casual khaki with tiny and discreet cargo pockets from Columbia, plus a button up or polo. In the dead of summer i do wear shorts and tees.

I always iron my shirts etc. Reason? I like to do it and why would I expect anyone else to do it? It's like shaving, it gives you a chance to think, reflect and relax. Besides giving you a shirt etc that looks good and makes you look better.
My reason is two fold... the cleaners are pretty expensive and most of them do a crappy job. Most cleaners these days think nothing of a double crease in trousers. Once upon a time, cleaners in military towns would buy you new trousers if they double creased when pressing. Those days are gone. Now? If you complain about a double crease they laugh and say "don't come back I have more business than I can handle." OK, well bye then. I'll press my own darn laundry.

Top Bottom