What's new

Break-in synthetic brushes?

I received my first synthetic brush yesterday from The English Shaving Company as mentioned here. I soaked it for about an hour (not on purpose - I lost track of what I was doing - must be getting old). Then I made a trial batch of lather. I also used it this morning. Worked OK as far as the lather goes. The brush is pretty soft, but either it's too stiff for me or it's going to take me some time to get used to a stiff brush. In some ways, I like my boar brush because it's a little stiffer than my silvertip, so I like a fairly stiff brush. But this synthetic is pretty stiff.

Do synthetics need to be broken-in? If so, what should I do? Do they get a little more limp over time? Do they get softer? This inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks,

~Jeff

I've been using the Body Shop's synthetic brush for about 9 months now. I haven't noticed a softening up at all. I havn't had experience with other synthetics, my brush is about the same stiffness it was when I first bought it. There is some adjustments to using a synthetic, but once you get used to them, they are quite enjoyable to use.

I've been using the Body Shop's synthetic brush for about 9 months now. I haven't noticed a softening up at all. I havn't had experience with other synthetics, my brush is about the same stiffness it was when I first bought it. There is some adjustments to using a synthetic, but once you get used to them, they are quite enjoyable to use.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My plan is to use this little brush for at least a week or two. I like some things about it and maybe I'll either figure out how to overcome some of its drawbacks or how to work with them.

Thanks,

~Jeff

I've not noticed any change in the performance of any of my synthetic brushes over time. I think you may see a slight softening of the bristles but nothing substantial. It will always remain springy.

Remember, a natural hair brush absorbs water into the bristles which makes it soft and reduces the springiness. Synthetic brushes never absorb water into the bristles.

I've not noticed any change in the performance of any of my synthetic brushes over time. I think you may see a slight softening of the bristles but nothing substantial. It will always remain springy.

Remember, a natural hair brush absorbs water into the bristles which makes it soft and reduces the springiness. Synthetic brushes never absorb water into the bristles.

That's kind of what I figured, but thought I'd ask to see if maybe the heat had an effect. Sounds like it doesn't.

Thanks,

~Jeff

My understanding and experience is a synthetic will not soften or if it does it will be a minute amount. My Omega 10066 boar softened well after weeks of shaving and face lathers. I have not experienced this with my synthetic. The biggest adjustment with synthetic for me was the lack of water absorption by the bristles. Also I found initially my synthetic to be a messier brush, flinging soap all over. That was until I started loading dryer and then adding water slowly. I still find my 10066 to be a lather making machine but my synth is softer for face lathering. With my girly skin that is better.

My favorite synthetic is the Chubby 2. The knot was very soft from the beginning. I don't think synthetics "break in" if you mean by that term that the character of the fiber changes. However, the knot of my Chubby 2 relaxed and loosened up a little bit after some use. I did not have the same experience with any other synthetic I tried, and they all stayed the same as the first time I used them.

The only brush's that need breaking in are badger and boar badger is quicker to break in out of the 2 Boar takes longer as you have to let the ends split.

Synthetics are good to go straight out of the box and it will be the same in 1 years time as it is now

Synthetics do change a bit over time. Obviously the tips don't split and they don't benefit from soaking but the knots can open up a bit with use. Most noticeable for me has been the Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 synths. They open up nicely after ten or more uses. Most I have tried did, just some not so much.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I actually quite like my synthetic brush. It dries in no time and as mentioned no break in period.

So there is no way to soften a synthetic brush....?

Correct. There's no break-in period, no point in soaking (other than warming it up if that's your preference), no scent. It is impervious to water. It may splay somewhat with use, but one of the strengths of a synthetic is that it doesn't change appreciably with use. The good news is it won't get any worse from the first day you use it. The bad news is it won't get any better either. :001_smile

One of my Muhle synthetics is over 8 years old and has 100s of uses. It has not changed a bit in all that time.

Top Bottom