What's new

Break-in period for a new silvertip?

So I just got a Savile Row 3824, and it's been producing a very underwhelming amount of lather - almost non-existent, whereas my Edwin Jagger Best Badger produces plenty.

Is there a break-in period for silvertip brushes, or is this the way it's gonna be? It should be mentioned I've used this brush a grand total of 2 times.

My initial thought is try using more product or shake more water from the brush. I had a SR3722 silvertip and it lathered as good as my Simpsons in Best. My SR didn't need a break-in period. The brush made a lot of lather and released it easily right out of the box.

My Shavemac Silver-Tip had a dense knot & took ~5-8 lathers to loosen it up and produce good lathers, give it a few weeks of regular use and see how it goes.

My initial thought is try using more product or shake more water from the brush. I had a SR3722 silvertip and it lathered as good as my Simpsons in Best. My SR didn't need a break-in period. The brush made a lot of lather and released it easily right out of the box.

This. It's a big knot, and the usual solution is to increase the amount of soap or cream that you are using, and add water incrementally until you get that lather "boom".

I'm extremely hesitant to leave my new SR in dish soap for a few hours . . . think I'll just keep on shaving with it for a bit

3rd time using the brush tonight, this time with a Dirty Bird Scuttle; it produced a barely acceptable amount on lather for the first 2 passes, but started to go on the third and died outright on the 4th. So I think this brush may need a few more days of break-in

I own the Savile Row 3824 and it is a great brush. I have no problems with a variety of soaps and creams with this brush. Make sure you are using enough product. A break in period should be absolutely not required. You just have to get use to the brush.

In my experience even silvertip brushes need a break in period. I expect my new Savile 3722 to break in after 15 lather/wash cycles. Meanwhile I just load more product. After 2-3 weeks of use, I am sure the lather production will improve, especially when using soaps.

Top Bottom