How to breadknife and upset 90% of the membership.
Awhile back in time, I had occasion to show a barber [ not an SRP member ] how to remove a nasty chipout in a blade by breadknifing on a DMT 325 grit diamond plate. What makes my method a bit unique is that I stand the blade up vertically at an 80 degree angle and drag the blade edge basically from one end of the plate to the other end of the plate, then flipping the blade to the opposite 80 degree position and drag the other side of the blade in the same manner. This is a time-saver move for me. Repeat this motion with some pressure until the chipout is about 70% gone. Only 70%.
At this point you then tape the spine with one or two layers of tape [ your preference on the number of layers ] and then hone with a normal honing stroke until the chipout is gone and the bevel is about set. Because you bredadknifed 70% of the chipout and honed the other 30% away, the chipout will be gone and the bevel basically shaped at about the same time. Now you have gotten rid of the chipout and gotten a good bevel shape with a minimum loss of steel.
Many will disagree with my method but it has worked on numerous occasions for me. Results are everything. It only takes a few minutes to finish the bevel set on the 1000 Grit stone. The more you believe in what you are doing, the better chance it has to work for you.