What's new

Bread -

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hello. I'm new to these parts. I have a question about bread mixers. My wife makes large batches of sour dough bread for our outdoor wood oven. She uses a Bosch machine that has a capacity of about 1.5 litres (liquid). Looking to possibly get a machine with more capacity. Not looking for huge commercial Hobart type machines, but something more industrial for the home and able to do larger batches. Particularly interested in Canadian help, as I'd like to source something within country. But any experiences with larger machines would be appreciated.

Wow . . . 1.5 litres is a small machine .. . and well commercial Hobart . . . pretty huge . . . how much bread do you want to make in a week?

Wow . . . 1.5 litres is a small machine .. . and well commercial Hobart . . . pretty huge . . . how much bread do you want to make in a week?
She fires up the wood oven about once a month for bread and does 6-8 loaves. She's having to run multiple batches in her Bosch, so she's looking at a 6-10 litre mixer. She also was born in Sweden, so I think she'll be partial to the Ankarsrum mixer that is made in her mother country. It's stated capacity is about seven quarts, which holds about ten lbs of dough.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yes those Ankarsrum look fantastic. About 50% more than the equivalent Kitchen Aid but over the years of service that amounts moth dust.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I wonder if this will be good. This took maybe 10 minutes this morning . . . Was a long day for other stuff so even less effort today . . straight into a loaf pan. 30-35 minutes in the oven. We will have a slice tomorrow.

Loaf pan sour dough.jpg

I'm severely jealous of all of these loaves of bread. Our oven hasn't been working for a number of months, so we've not been able to bake ANYTHING in it, and we used to pretty much depend on it for lots of cooking.

However, I recently discovered that I can proof a batch of dough in my Instant Pot on the yogurt setting and then cook it off in a Crock Pot. The results aren't mind-blowing by any stretch, but at least I can say that I can bake fresh bread again. And, with our almost total lack of counter space, a no-kneed recipe works. You go with what you got, right?

I had to come back to this post. I say with heartfelt honesty that this is one of my favorite posts. Certainly not because you've lost your oven, I'm truly sorry for that; but because you've acknowledged an obstacle and plotted your course around it. You are an artisan. You found a way.

You go with what you got, right?

Right.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Gorgeous loaf Matt.

I've been heading the simpler direction just now. This I mixed at 10pm. Put it in a loaf pan around 8am and into the oven on my morning break around 10 AM. Results with the no-kneed seem to be improving.

Getting better sourdough.jpg

Can’t believe I’ve missed this thread. This year has been a big bread year for the family.
The boys (4&6) help me make bread for our Sunday roast every week. Really simple recipe and you throw everything into a ziploc bag so the kids can mix/shake it up and not get messy.
Here’s a few examples of our bread. Some weeks we make cool designs on them.
02D26CC8-9551-4F8D-9B57-AD9E750837BC.jpegA3448F19-1F92-416F-B50F-C0C60897B3CF.jpeg11E93143-DF9B-453E-BAD4-D8A0F62E7CF2.jpegA0F085FE-4187-4532-AE61-AA2A03AF0BB0.jpeg00DF174A-D1D7-49B1-9FFB-09879A071E96.jpegE56EBF9D-72C6-49B2-BE18-CCA91CC83FF6.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Made some sourdough yesterday. Half of one boule was eaten while still warm. Little more dense than normal, but the flavor was spot on. I got caught up playing legos with the kids and accidentally let the dough overproof which I think accounted for the extra density.
6C504B55-6037-4B69-A692-164CD0E20776.jpeg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A bit of a race . . .

My wife thought she made a mess. She came across my starter in the fridge and the top had popped off. So I stirred it up and, well heck yes, started the process for one more loaf.

I'd say it is double . . .but not quite as high as my last five . . . almost 9 pm . . . and it takes 35 mins to bake . . . . will I make it?

ha . . .

getting close.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yeast is amazing . . . starts slow . . . and once it gets going takes off.

Turned my oven on. I think the bread will be done before 10 PM and resting over night so we can have some tomorrow.

Things I think are important to share.

This is a no kneed bread
Starter came right from the fridge. . . tons of liquor . . . stirred it in . . . didn't add anything to starter for 5 days.

Yes it can be better if you stretch and fold a lot . . . but this works and is better than what I'd get at the supermarket.

Yep this will be cut into tomorrow.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
In my reading the yeast does pretty much come to what is in the air where we are.

I think this is my last post until I try something different. This loaf was from starter that had been maybe five days in the fridge without feeding. I only made this as my wife thought she tipped it over . . .. no the CO2 blew the lid off.

All done in 12 hrs and now off to bed as it cools . . . and fresh bread for the morning.

yep it worked.jpg

Top Bottom