What's new

BRAZIL's switch to China manufacturing .

I was lucky enough ,maybe 12-14 years ago , to find a fellow shaver in Brazil who agreed to trade with me . Shipping then was a lot cheaper .. I received several brands of Brazilian blades , Supa-Barba , Master Barba , at that time made in Turkey , and Lamix , made in Germany, and another blade I can't recall at this moment . The German Lamix were terrible. They later switched to Turkish Derby manufacturing . All the Brazilian blades you see on this site are now manufactured in Communist China except one new blade . "OK " which is a rebranded Egyptian LORD blade. I'd like to try the " OK " blade for comparison .... You can see the manufacturers listed here , at Brazils largest distributer or blades, sadly they won't ship: Lâmina - Rei Da Cutelaria - https://www.reidacutelaria.com.br/beleza-pessoal/barbearia/lamina

Interesting. I also have an old pair of craft/general purpose scissors by Mundial made in Brazil. Awesome scissors bought by my mother decades ago. Looked for that brand online and while I could find the brand, I couldn't find a way to buy their product and I don't even know if they would still be made in Brazil. I like them better than my China-made Fiskars which tend to be sold in stores here.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi @malocchio , do you happen to know who these are subcontracted to?

There are multiple DE blade manufacturers in China. If it's made by P&G's Shanghai factory, they could still be very good blades.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was lucky enough ,maybe 12-14 years ago , to find a fellow shaver in Brazil who agreed to trade with me . Shipping then was a lot cheaper .. I received several brands of Brazilian blades , Supa-Barba , Master Barba , at that time made in Turkey , and Lamix , made in Germany, and another blade I can't recall at this moment . The German Lamix were terrible. They later switched to Turkish Derby manufacturing . All the Brazilian blades you see on this site are now manufactured in Communist China except one new blade . "OK " which is a rebranded Egyptian LORD blade. I'd like to try the " OK " blade for comparison .... You can see the manufacturers listed here , at Brazils largest distributer or blades, sadly they won't ship: Lâmina - Rei Da Cutelaria - https://www.reidacutelaria.com.br/beleza-pessoal/barbearia/lamina
@hugosf is in Brazil. He might be able to help you. He is currently DE shaving but I expect that he may soon be a SR shaver exclusively.

I don't know where this one comes from, but it is available in the Brazilian market. Any info on this? I haven't found anything online about it.

1672831080091.png
1672831080091.png

Hi @malocchio !!!

I‘ve searched the Ok brand and I only find in a wholesale vendor. This brand is probably a rebranded Lord blade.

There are a few importers which order blades made abroad and sell in rebranded packages. Most blades are Egyptian Lord, German Personna or generic Chinese brands.

Unfortunately, shrinkflation is big here. Government are always rising the input costs thorough taxes or stupid regulations, then the products are always getting smaller or the quality goes down. One of the most popular brands, the Brazilian Wilkerson Sword came with only 3 blades per package.

Those rebranded blades are very obscure. You never know exactly what you are buying. I bought a Superbarba razor thinking it’s a rebranded Lord razor, but I received a really generic chinese razor.

In the past, was easy to get quality Brazilian products like scissors, tools, even blades. Nowadays most of the products are Chinese.

The only made in Brazil I know is the Wilkerson Sword.

Attachments

• E7905D5B-3EA8-4DB6-AAAF-D3AA7DC26CB5.jpeg
    E7905D5B-3EA8-4DB6-AAAF-D3AA7DC26CB5.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 39FA3232-FF25-47E2-B703-E09CC8240EA3.jpeg
    39FA3232-FF25-47E2-B703-E09CC8240EA3.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 23
Do you know of anyone selling these internationally?
It’s hard to find a seller who ship internationally. It’s expensive, takes a long time to arrive and the tracking code is not reliable.

In the 80’s Brazil was one of the closest economies in the world. When I was kid get a product made in another country was very rare. Even now, import and export goods are a pain in the neck.

Hi @malocchio !!!

I‘ve searched the Ok brand and I only find in a wholesale vendor. This brand is probably a rebranded Lord blade.

There are a few importers which order blades made abroad and sell in rebranded packages. Most blades are Egyptian Lord, German Personna or generic Chinese brands.

Unfortunately, shrinkflation is big here. Government are always rising the input costs thorough taxes or stupid regulations, then the products are always getting smaller or the quality goes down. One of the most popular brands, the Brazilian Wilkerson Sword came with only 3 blades per package.

Those rebranded blades are very obscure. You never know exactly what you are buying. I bought a Superbarba razor thinking it’s a rebranded Lord razor, but I received a really generic chinese razor.

In the past, was easy to get quality Brazilian products like scissors, tools, even blades. Nowadays most of the products are Chinese.

The only made in Brazil I know is the Wilkerson Sword.
Really sad .... at least Brazil still produces some legendary creams .

Hi @malocchio , do you happen to know who these are subcontracted to?

There are multiple DE blade manufacturers in China. If it's made by P&G's Shanghai factory, they could still be very good blades.
Really tough to know. Gillette does have an authorized manufacturer in the PRC , but there is virtually no control over counterfeits ..

You can find the Lord made OK blades at Razor Blades Club, who do ship to the USA.

Not a single blade made in Brazil here:

This is all the countries they have there:

Bangladesh, China , Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Japan, Pakistan, Russia, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, USA, Vietnam.

Is this a complete list of all countries that make blades that are sold in the US?
No other countries come to mind.

South Korea maybe? They used to make Dorco blades, but not sure if all of that manufacturing moved to Vietnam. Poland used to make a lot of blades as well. Not sure if they stopped all production or not.

Russia, China, Israel, Egypt and India are still the big boys, I guess.

No other countries come to mind.

South Korea maybe? They used to make Dorco blades, but not sure if all of that manufacturing moved to Vietnam. Poland used to make a lot of blades as well. Not sure if they stopped all production or not.

Russia, China, Israel, Egypt and India are still the big boys, I guess.

AFAIK, Gillette bought the factory which used to Polsilver DE blades and converted it for making carts, including Mach 3 and some disposables. It's been a while since I last bought Gillette carts but I recall some were made in Poland.

The Personna factory in Israel is closed. The only factories in Europe making DE blades are in the Germany and the Czech Republic. Personna's non USA blades are made in Germany.

These statements might be wrong but are made in AFAIK, it can be difficult to know whether certain manufacturing are still taking place or not.

AFAIK, Gillette bought the factory which used to Polsilver DE blades and converted it for making carts, including Mach 3 and some disposables. It's been a while since I last bought Gillette carts but I recall some were made in Poland.

The Personna factory in Israel is closed. The only factories in Europe making DE blades are in the Germany and the Czech Republic. Personna's non USA blades are made in Germany.

These statements might be wrong but are made in AFAIK, it can be difficult to know whether certain manufacturing are still taking place or not.
I think you are right.

Also, there is so much inventory out there, so who really knows? A country and/or large factory could stop production entirely and the blades could still be widely available for years.

Not a single blade made in Brazil here:

This is all the countries they have there:

Bangladesh, China , Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Japan, Pakistan, Russia, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, USA, Vietnam.

Is this a complete list of all countries that make blades that are sold in the US?
Razorbladesclub has the Gillette Super Thin listed as Thailand but it's made in China, just distributed in Thailand

Top Bottom