What's new

Brazilian creams (and soaps and ***)

Hi all,

I spent last christmas in Brazil and took the chance to try some Brazilian products. Here are the products in the (blurry, sorry) picture from L to R: Body Store ASB, Nazca AS gel, Granado ASB, Bic Sensitive SC, Nazca SC, Bozzano SC, Brut Sensitive SC, Gillette Sensitive SC (Argentina), Dr. Selby SC (Uruguay), Dr. Selby Sensitive (Uruguay), "old" Gillette Platinum Plus blades (not available anymore), cheap Chinese razor I found at a local store, Granado shaving soap, Body Store shaving soap.

Not in the picture, but which I also tried there was Palmindaya and Feathers with blue packaging (made in Japan, identical to the ones available elsewhere). Also, Nivea splash and Boticário ASB (Azulen and MEN). Also easily available are Nivea creams, which I really like. I did not try the Brazilian version to see if it was the same as the European version I have, though.

I should say that the Dr. Selby creams were bought in Uruguay and are not available in Brazil.

These are all my own opinion and I did not spend too much time with the products, so take this with a huge grain of salt. (See also my signature.) YMMV and all that...

First the soaps: IMHO, forget about them. I could not lather them at all! Nice mild scents, but that's it.

Now the creams: I could not get a decent lather from Palmindaya... Tried only three or four times, but it was always thin. All others, though, produced a very nice lather. Most of them had "soapy", clean scents. Except Brut, which, IMHO smelled like a very cheap knock off of Brut's scent (which I like). Good lather, but I really disliked the scent. Nazca was good, but it seemed to require more product than the others. I liked Dr. Selby the most, but the others (except Palmindaya) were close behind.

All in all, I'd say they are good, but I don't think it is worth trying too hard to get them unless you want to try something different. Proraso, for instance, is a little better IMHO.

I have not had the courage to try the blades, as they are about 15 years old and were kept in a bathroom (with humidity and all)... (There are only two left.)

I like the aftershaves, though. The Body Store one has a strong scent that lingers, which I don't like very much, even though I like the scent. (I cannot describe it, though....) It feels good, though.

Nazca has a nice cooling feeling and mild scent, if I remember well.

The Granado I really like. Light, absorbs well and quickly, minty and refreshing, and seems to handle well a problematic shave. Also, seems very moisturizing. A little goes a long way. It is the only product I brought back, together with the Dr. Selby creams. (I brought the Body Store ASB too, but don't use it as often.) This might be a product perhaps worth hunting.

I also have a Brazilian Nivea AS splash called "Silver Protect" which I quite like. (I don't know if it is similar to the splashes available elsewhere.) I also have two balms from Boticário, one called Azulen and the other MEN. I like them also, but not as much as the Granado one. The latter has a lingering scent also, but I can live with it.

[Sorry for misspelling "creams" in the title... It is my trademark, though...] Mod Edit: Fixed!

Attachments

• $BR_creams1.jpg
    $BR_creams1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the information on these South American products.
I've heard great things about the Granado soap, but have been unable to find it here in the US. I'd love to try both the soap and the ASB, especially after your positive remarks. :biggrin1:

I sold these way back. I liked the Brut and you left out Bozzano. Granados perhaps i can track down for us.

I remember seeing them in your site. But Bozzano is in my list, and I liked it. It is the most "traditional", I guess. It's very easy to find and it's been available since I can remember... It was what I used when I started shaving almost 25 years ago.

Granado ASB is great, but I really can't recommend the soap, though... Maybe it was just me... Maybe I did not give it enough time... But I could not get it to work...

I see now, my phone did not open the image up. Campos too was a great mentholated splash. Bic I always wondered about. The one I was truly after down there was Skin Bracer...that would have been a good item.

I see now, my phone did not open the image up.

I have the same problem with my phone.

Campos too was a great mentholated splash.

I remember seeing the cream... I will check it out next time.

Bic I always wondered about.

It is nice too! Maybe a little better than Bozzano and Gillette. But in all honesty, I did not have enough time to have a proper assessment... They were all comparable, it seemed.

The one I was truly after down there was Skin Bracer...that would have been a good item.

Do you really mean Skin Bracer? I've never seen it in Brazil... First I've seen it was in the USA...

I believe the Skin Bracer cream was big in Paraguay. Yes, the same thing as here, it is a Mennen product which is marketed all over the world.

You didn't try the Brazilian Gillette super thins when you were down there?!?!?!?!?!

Been looking for a source for these ever since trying them

proxy.php

You didn't try the Brazilian Gillette super thins when you were down there?!?!?!?!?!

Been looking for a source for these ever since trying them

I haven't seen them at all there, and I looked a little. Blades are not that easy to find...

On the other hand, the packaging is in Spanish, so even if they are made in Brazil, those as you show are not for sale there.

Their money down that way is sooooo super inflated last time I did anything with them. But there is a treasure trove of products waiting for the right time.

The Granado soap bar is a little tough to lather,but it can be done,and the reward is a good lather with a real peppermint scent.I have not tried the Palmindaya in the tube,but I have the huge cobalt blue jar.I think the jar version is a knock off of the old Noxema cream,it smells just like Noxema face cream ,and I get good shaves with it.The Brut and Bozzano creams are fantastic,highly condensed at will tolerate generous additions of water.You really made a great haul,good shaving to you !

I haven't seen them at all there, and I looked a little. Blades are not that easy to find...

On the other hand, the packaging is in Spanish, so even if they are made in Brazil, those as you show are not for sale there.

I believe that that display/sales sheet is from Mexico.

The factory is in Brazil so I would imagine that they are available in that country also.

proxy.php

The Granado soap bar is a little tough to lather,but it can be done,and the reward is a good lather with a real peppermint scent.I have not tried the Palmindaya in the tube,but I have the huge cobalt blue jar.I think the jar version is a knock off of the old Noxema cream,it smells just like Noxema face cream ,and I get good shaves with it.The Brut and Bozzano creams are fantastic,highly condensed at will tolerate generous additions of water.You really made a great haul,good shaving to you !

I will try harder next time I go there with the Granado soap... My Palmindaya was also in a blue jar. I could not get a decent lather either... But, as I said, I did not try too many times.

I believe that that display/sales sheet is from Mexico.

The factory is in Brazil so I would imagine that they are available in that country also.

I will try to look harder next time. I could find Lord, Wilkinson, Laser, Bic and Feather, but no Brazilian Gillette, except the old one I found laying around.

About the blades,from what Brazilians who travel throughout their country tell me,each district will have different goods for sale.I know the Campos aftershave is sold only in certain parts of Brazil,and it now has a matching tube of shave cream.The huge jars of Palmindaya are also sold only in select districts.Along with the collection of tubed creams that you have,there are a few more that are made in Brazil as well.

up in the northeast of brazil, all i could find was laser and wilk blades. the wilkinson swords were made in brazil, the laser were not. for creams all i found was gillette, bozzano and nivea.

Top Bottom