What's new

Brazen Coffee Brewing System

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I just sent an email to Roastmasters and offered to return both defective units in exchange for a Technivorm and I will pay for the difference. The Technivorm is a hundred dollars more and doesn't have a timer, but they are built to last. I'm tired of playing around with the Brazen, even though it makes fantastic coffee.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
...and one more thing. I just installed a new solid wood countertop recently that is treated with linseed oil and the rubber feet of the Brazen are leaving black marks wherever it sits and skid marks if it is slid across the countertop.

I hope they take care of you. The Technivorm is a great brewer.
I just sent an email to Roastmasters and offered to return both defective units in exchange for a Technivorm and I will pay for the difference. The Technivorm is a hundred dollars more and doesn't have a timer, but they are built to last. I'm tired of playing around with the Brazen, even though it makes fantastic coffee.

Sorry to hear about all the problems and I hope they fix it for you. The Technivorm is a great machine so I think you will be pleased with the swap out if they will let you.

I hope either Roastmasters or Behmor will do something to make it right for you Dennis. Behmor should realize that he has used up your goodwill with this brewer and do something to make it right. Based on stories about his roaster in the early days of its development I would expect that (but I may get disappointed here as well). Looks like there is problem with one of his component suppliers...assuming it is not something in the design.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
They agreed to my swap suggestion, but suggested that I try a descaler first. So we tried the Wink brand coffee brewer descaled and it did improve. Seems odd though that I have only ever just run white vinegar through any of my previous pots about once or twice a year and never had a scaling problem. This one can't make it a month without a problem.

I often use distilled water in my espresso machine. Which is quite practical as you don't need much water.
Might be worth trying it in a drip machine if you have a cheap source/your own distiller.

Isn't it odd that something as basic as a coffee machine is so hard to get right. Seems that the higher-end you go, the more unreliable they are (particularly espresso machines.)

I would try filtered or bottled water but stay away from distilled. Because the water has been over-softened (for lack of a better word) it is free to pick up ions from machines with metal components, causing the materials to break down over time. Also, some theorize the same can happen to your body if you drink too much distilled water...that it can leech nutrients and minerals from you (although if you're making coffee with distilled I don't think you will have that same problem).

Secondly, the SCAA has determined the ideal mineral balance for brewing coffee is 150 ppm. Less than that (distilled water) allows for over extraction as there is "extra space" in the water to absorb too much coffee, causing bitterness or overextraction in your brew. Water that is too hard can't absorb enough, thus resulting in an under-extracted, sour cup.

Ben

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Been using the Technivorm Mocha Master for over a week now and it is working great.

So Roastmasters swapped out your Brazen(s), it is good to hear they held up their end of the bargain. I hope Mr. Behmor gets his new coffee maker sorted out quickly, so others don't endure similar problems.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Glad to hear!

So Roastmasters swapped out your Brazen(s), it is good to hear they held up their end of the bargain. I hope Mr. Behmor gets his new coffee maker sorted out quickly, so others don't endure similar problems.

It sounds like they have some good improvements in store for the Brazen. I just wasn't interested in waiting around for them. I really didn't even mind paying more for the Technivorm and would have paid the same for the Brazen if it had the same reputation, which hopefully it will develop in time.

They did offer some good suggestions on descaling (which didn't work to solve the problem) and even suggested that I could remove the fine screen on the reservoir solenoid valve, but since I had already had the upgrade in motion I decided not to tamper with it. I still think it is something in the software and whatever it is I'm sure they will work it out.

I would love to hear from others that get newer versions and report on how well they like it. Out of the box it is an absolutely fantastic machine. It just had that quirky problem of not brewing the whole pot after a while.

Second pot with the gold filter was with the same settings. The taste was a little on the bitter side. My wife and I both felt that the paper filter yielded a better flavor. I so wanted the gold filter to be better, but the unbleached Melita paper filters that Roastmaster's included with the Brazen makes a tastier cup for my palate.

Try a coarser grind with the gold filter. Bitter is often a sign of over-extraction.

I just ordered mine today before I read this thread. I love my Behmore roaster so I'm willing to work some on this as I'm looking for a great cup of coffee to go with my triple espresso I pull every morning. I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

I have had the Brazen from initial release. I ordered from Roastmaster. Within a month, I noticed there was more and more water left in the tank. After a little research, I did a hardcore descale with some descale concoction from Bed Bath & Beyond. I also purchased a Zerowater filter carafe. Apparently, the screen below the tank is very sensitive to scale and blockage. Since my initial descale (probably 5 months ago) and the exclusive use of Zerowater filter, I have had no problem with brewing all the water in the tank, except for a some condensation.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just an update.

We are still using the Technivorm, have yet to descale it and it works as well today as it did when we first took it out of the box earlier this year.

The only problem that we have experienced is one of operator error. My wife used the wrong cover on the carafe a couple of times and had coffee run all over the counter, cabinets and kitchen floor. I solved this issue by putting a clip style close pin on the lid without the brew through hole and she hasn't made this mistake since. It would be nice if the serving lid was taller, so it could not be placed in the brewer when it is on the carafe.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It's been 2 years since I stopped using the Brazen and got the Technivorm. Has anyone else tried the Brazen?

For what it's worth, Roastmasters never sent me an RMA for the two machines which they sent me. I left them sitting in the boxes and tried contacting them once about it, but got nothing. So last summer I brought one up to my cottage and tried it again. Nothing changed, but it will only get used about a dozen times a year up there. So I'll just have to descale it every spring.

The Technivorm, on the other hand, is still working like new and I think we only descaled it once in 2 years.

It's been 2 years since I stopped using the Brazen and got the Technivorm. Has anyone else tried the Brazen?

I've had mine for almost a year and have had no problems or issues. Granted I only use it on average once per week, but I've been pleased with it.

Top Bottom