What's new

Braun Series 9 vs Panasonic Arc 5 (third edition) LV9NS shaver

Based on what I have read, the Panasonic shaver provides a closer shave than the Braun. However the Braun has a smaller head which is easier to work with and it has a cleaning solution that is easy to use. Just pop of the tab and slide it into the unit. The Panasonic you have to put water in the container with the detergent package. Some people who have done a video stated when they compared the Braun 7 to the 9, they found Braun 7 actually shaved closer. I don't understand that as the head is the same with the exception that the 9 Series has an extra cutter on it.

I personally have always liked Braun and I am more drawn to it over the Panasonic, however the unit is made of plastic while the Panasonic is made of metal. Its like my head says buy the Panasonic while my heart says buy the Braun. Some claim the Braun 9 cuts amazing, others say its very good but not great. The Panasonic however everyone claims it cuts better than the Braun 9 even though the Braun does a great job.

Has anyone had both or compared these two shavers? I know the Panasonic version 3 has gold supports on the head which reduces razor burn. This is why I prefer this model over the LV65S model.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have an Arc 5 and like it. I have not tried a modern Braun. One reason I went with the Panasonic is you don't need the silly cleaner junk. It has a special cleaning mode wherein you put some liquid soap on the foil and a second time on the cutting block. The razor vibrates in a high speed cleaning mode. Comes out super clean and you aren't buying consumables from the razor vendor and needung a special cleaning stand that taked up room and makes the razor seem some special shrine.

The Panasonics always gave me skin irritation, and missed hairs. The Braun Series Shavers-5,7,9 always gave me a smooth comfortable shave that lasted the whole day.
I still use my Series-7, and I really like the series-9.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

No experience with Panasonic but I've owned Braun series 3, 7, & 9 shavers and in all honesty... I find absolutely no difference in the closeness of the final shave between all three. Where I do find a difference is how quickly/efficiently they get you there which in turn has an impact on comfort/irritation as the less you run the shaver across your face, the less likely you are to experience irritation. If I go from say 2 days growth to BBS (or as near as an electric shaver can get) it will take about 10-12 mins with a series 3, 8-10 mins with a series 7, and 5-6 mins with a series 9. The motor on the series 9 os so absurdly strong that they had to redesign the foil heads because it was literally causing them to disintegrate within a few weeks. Ultimately I stuck with the series 3 because it cost me about $60 (the 7 was $130 and the 9 was $250!) And the replacement heads are only about $23 (the 7s are around $50 and the 9s around $70!).

There is this Canadian dude who runs a YouTube channel and corresponding website/blog devoted solely to electric shaver reviews, info, tips/tricks, etc... I think it's called electric shaver guide or something like that. Anyway, he reviews both shavers you are considering to great detail.

Last edited:
A few months ago I switched from a Panasonic ES8103 shaver to a Braun 7893s shaver. The Panasonic was my daily shaver for about five years and the battery was losing its ability to hold a charge. I never found a need to change the screens or the cutters which started getting a little dull. I switched to the Braun because I found it in Costco for $100 and decided to give it a try. It shaves as close as the Panasonic and the comfort level seemes about the same. The trimmer on the Panasonic failed a couple of years ago but the shaver worked fine. The battery charge on the Braun is incredible lasting 14 days between charges. The Panasonic required charging once a week. However,the Panasonic has an LCD screen to indicate the charge state while the Braun uses a series of green and red lights. Just depends if you like a percentage readout or a colored light indicator.

I don’t have or want a cleaning station. They take up room on your counter top, use more electricity and require continuous purchases of cleaning fluid. The Panasonic and the Braun are both waterproof and can be easily rinsed under the faucet. I don’t even rinse the Braun shaver because I shave dry with it and just tap out the cuttings onto a piece of tissue after each shave and throw it away. Braun recommends applying a drop of light machine oil on the screen and trimmer if you use it wet or rinse it under the faucet. Panasonic never mentioned lubricants and I never used any.

Both shavers are excellent. The Panasonic ran at 13,000 cycles per second while the Braun runs at 10,000. The Braun is quieter running and the battery lasts longer. The only drawback to the Panasonic is the high price of replacement cutters and screens which are about $50 to replace both. A new Panasonic ES8103 is only about $80. However, my screens and cutters lasted nearly five years. Braun has a single piece cutter/screen cassette that is $29 on Amazon. According to Braun it should last 18 months. They even provide an indicator light to remind you to replace the cassette. i will replace mine based on the quality of the shave rather than the calendar.

Either shaver will do a great job and allow you shave either dry or wet using shaving cream or in the shower.

Last edited:
I've used both extensively - wet shaving only. Individual reviews of the same or similar shavers:

9290cc vs 9095cc/799cc

Panasonic ES-LV9A-S vs ES-LV95-S

Panasonic ES-LV95-S vs Braun 9095cc

The bottom line between them: both are top-of-the-line, excellent shavers. Both are capable of providing you with a superb, comfortable, close shave. The Panasonic will provide a closer shave, with potential irritation if you don't use a light touch (14,000 cps). Head is larger, but more flexible. Cleaning system is non-alcohol based, so cleans the shaver head but doesn't sanitize it. Braun has a smaller head, more comfortable shave even if pressed harder (10,000 cps). Cleaning station is alcohol based and sanitizes (not sterilizes) the head. More plastic on the Braun, but both are plenty robust shavers - trimmer is a little beefier on the Braun, Panasonic body is metal-wrapped. Both I believe offer a return policy. You can't go wrong with either, just a matter of personal preference.

My experience has been that the closeness of the shave between the Panasonic and the Braun shavers that I have used is about equal. As for irritation I have discovered no difference as both of my shavers give me comfortable shaves. However, I have never used either of them wet which might make a difference. I would think shaving wet would reduce any irritation due to having a cream or jell between the shaver’s screen and your skin.

A few months ago I switched from a Panasonic ES8103 shaver to a Braun 7893s shaver. The Panasonic was my daily shaver for about five years and the battery was losing its ability to hold a charge. I never found a need to change the screens or the cutters which started getting a little dull. I switched to the Braun because I found it in Costco for $100 and decided to give it a try. It shaves as close as the Panasonic and the comfort level seemes about the same. The trimmer on the Panasonic failed a couple of years ago but the shaver worked fine. The battery charge on the Braun is incredible lasting 14 days between charges. The Panasonic required charging once a week. However,the Panasonic has an LCD screen to indicate the charge state while the Braun uses a series of green and red lights. Just depends if you like a percentage readout or a colored light indicator.

I don’t have or want a cleaning station. They take up room on your counter top, use more electricity and require continuous purchases of cleaning fluid. The Panasonic and the Braun are both waterproof and can be easily rinsed under the faucet. I don’t even rinse the Braun shaver because I shave dry with it and just tap out the cuttings onto a piece of tissue after each shave and throw it away. Braun recommends applying a drop of light machine oil on the screen and trimmer if you use it wet or rinse it under the faucet. Panasonic never mentioned lubricants and I never used any.

Both shavers are excellent. The Panasonic ran at 13,000 cycles per second while the Braun runs at 10,000. The Braun is quieter running and the battery lasts longer. The only drawback to the Panasonic is the high price of replacement cutters and screens which are about $50 to replace both. A new Panasonic ES8103 is only about $80. However, my screens and cutters lasted nearly five years. Braun has a single piece cutter/screen cassette that is $29 on Amazon. According to Braun it should last 18 months. They even provide an indicator light to remind you to replace the cassette. i will replace mine based on the quality of the shave rather than the calendar.

Either shaver will do a great job and allow you shave either dry or wet using shaving cream or in the shower.
i'm interested in getting an arc 5 since it's on discount on amazon.it. Can you compare the closeness to a safety/cartridge? because if there's too much difference i will skip it. Thanks a lot in advance

i'm interested in getting an arc 5 since it's on discount on amazon.it. Can you compare the closeness to a safety/cartridge? because if there's too much difference i will skip it. Thanks a lot in advance
Unfortunately, I haven’t shaved using a blade of any type for many years and then only when my electric shaver didn’t work. Therefore, I can’t answer your question. If you switch, it will take a few shaves with any electric shaver to allow for your beard and skin to adjust to the shaver. However, Panasonic offers a money back guarantee for any reason within 30 days after purchase. You might check their website as it might be 60 days like Braun’s return policy. Also Amazon will accept a return within 30 days. Therefore, give it a try.

I'll say it this way (with 5+ years of traditional shaving experience): Everytime I use a blade I look at the resulting irritation, huge mess I made around my sink (or 15 extra minutes in the shower), how many products I needed to end up with a crappy shave... And can't help but think, "why didn't I just use my electric?" I live in Florida where it's hot 10 months of the year and when I blade shave my sweat makes my neck burn terribly and turn bright red... Never happens with an electric.

Every few months I'll try a safety razor again and immediately think of the above. Everytime I blade shave my wife notices the irritation and comments, "why don't you just grow a beard?" Or sometimes, "wow, that looks uncomfortable!" Yet when I shave with an electric she constantly touches my face and never makes any comments.

Good enough for me :)

The cool part is, while I prefer the dry shave, you can always pull out your brush and soap/cream if you want the feel of a proper wet shave.

So, which shaver did you buy
Based on what I have read, the Panasonic shaver provides a closer shave than the Braun. However the Braun has a smaller head which is easier to work with and it has a cleaning solution that is easy to use. Just pop of the tab and slide it into the unit. The Panasonic you have to put water in the container with the detergent package. Some people who have done a video stated when they compared the Braun 7 to the 9, they found Braun 7 actually shaved closer. I don't understand that as the head is the same with the exception that the 9 Series has an extra cutter on it.

I personally have always liked Braun and I am more drawn to it over the Panasonic, however the unit is made of plastic while the Panasonic is made of metal. Its like my head says buy the Panasonic while my heart says buy the Braun. Some claim the Braun 9 cuts amazing, others say its very good but not great. The Panasonic however everyone claims it cuts better than the Braun 9 even though the Braun does a great job.

Has anyone had both or compared these two shavers? I know the Panasonic version 3 has gold supports on the head which reduces razor burn. This is why I prefer this model over the LV65S model.
Which shaver did you buy?

I'll say it this way (with 5+ years of traditional shaving experience): Everytime I use a blade I look at the resulting irritation, huge mess I made around my sink (or 15 extra minutes in the shower), how many products I needed to end up with a crappy shave... And can't help but think, "why didn't I just use my electric?" I live in Florida where it's hot 10 months of the year and when I blade shave my sweat makes my neck burn terribly and turn bright red... Never happens with an electric.

Every few months I'll try a safety razor again and immediately think of the above. Everytime I blade shave my wife notices the irritation and comments, "why don't you just grow a beard?" Or sometimes, "wow, that looks uncomfortable!" Yet when I shave with an electric she constantly touches my face and never makes any comments.

Good enough for me :)

The cool part is, while I prefer the dry shave, you can always pull out your brush and soap/cream if you want the feel of a proper wet shave.

For people with sensitive skin and tough beards who don't need a particularly close shave, an electric shaver might be the only sensible option.

I prefer basic rotary shavers for their speed.

For people with sensitive skin and tough beards who don't need a particularly close shave, an electric shaver might be the only sensible option.

I prefer basic rotary shavers for their speed.
My experience has been that among electric shavers the rotary type are the least irritating to the skin because they have the thickest “screen” between the skin and the blades. Screen type shavers have the thinnest screen between the skin and the blades and may cause more skin irritation. As for closeness, others have reported the Panasonic screen type shavers shave closest while the Braun shavers shave less close but with less irritation. I haven’t noticed any appreciable difference between my 5 year old Panasonic and my six month old Braun in either closeness or comfort.

My experience has been that among electric shavers the rotary type are the least irritating to the skin because they have the thickest “screen” between the skin and the blades. Screen type shavers have the thinnest screen between the skin and the blades and may cause more skin irritation. As for closeness, others have reported the Panasonic screen type shavers shave closest while the Braun shavers shave less close but with less irritation. I haven’t noticed any appreciable difference between my 5 year old Panasonic and my six month old Braun in either closeness or comfort.

I also have a Braun (just the basic pocket model), and I used larger Brauns in the past. They are close-enough and far less irritating than Panasonic or Remington.

I always try to avoid the lift-and-cut stuff in rotary shavers, as they can cause ingrown hair and skin irritation.

Top Bottom