What's new

Braun Cooltec Shaver impressions

The reason is that you have air conditioning. At even 77F degrees the air is fairly dry. I hadn’t heard that talc will dull the blades.

I think it's mostly theoretical, since talc is a mineral and is abrasive.

Keep in mind the main producer of talc preshave is Remington, and their foils aren't noted for longevity anyways.

Years ago I had a Remington Titanium and it was a good shaver, it shaved very close, but the foils didn't last nearly as long as Braun foils. So it turned out to not be a good value.

I think it's mostly theoretical, since talc is a mineral and is abrasive.

Keep in mind the main producer of talc preshave is Remington, and their foils aren't noted for longevity anyways.

Years ago I had a Remington Titanium and it was a good shaver, it shaved very close, but the foils didn't last nearly as long as Braun foils. So it turned out to not be a good value.
I had a similar experience with a Remington shaver and was going through corroded cutters and turn foils every three or four weeks before throwing it in the trash.

I assume you have air conditioning which both cools and dehumidifies the air.

I'm about 45 mins NE of there and from about late April through early November my ac pretty much never turns off and that's just to maintain 76f average temp in my home (that's with brand new energy efficient windows). In the 'winter' time my ac rarely turns on and my electric bills are reduced by 2/3, no joke.

I'm about 45 mins NE of there and from about late April through early November my ac pretty much never turns off and that's just to maintain 76f average temp in my home (that's with brand new energy efficient windows). In the 'winter' time my ac rarely turns on and my electric bills are reduced by 2/3, no joke.
There’s a reason that the snowbirds go to Florida in the winter. Hot air can hold more water vapor than cooler air. We generally think of humidity in terms of relative humidity which represents the percentage of water vapor being held in suspension in the air. However, the volume is quite different at different temperatures. At 95F degrees the air can hold 35 grams of water per kgram of air. At 77 degrees it’s only 20 grams. At 32F it can only hold 3.8 grams of water vapor. In both cases the relative humidity would be 100% saturated. Any reduction in the temperature will cause the water vapor to condense out and turn into liquid. At 95F degrees you sweat a lot to cool your skin and the moisture condenses out of the air making you feel cooler but sticky. Your AC system cools the air and reduces the humidity by the water vapor condensing on your AC evaporator and then the water is drained out into usually a bathroom bathtub drain.

I had a similar experience with a Remington shaver and was going through corroded cutters and turn foils every three or four weeks before throwing it in the trash.

I got at least six months of usage out of mine. The foil didn't corrode, it just wore through.

I would never recommend Remington foil shavers to anybody with sensitive skin, though. There's a reason the foils don't last, they are very thin.

I tried the Braun Cooltec again today. Despite the fact I'd shaved sixteen hours earlier, this shaver really struggled. There was some real tugging.

I don't understand how such a big, bulky shaver that sounds powerful can struggle so much. My guess is alot of bulk is in waterproofing and batteries. And the cutters are just dull, despite being new. It's the foil equivalent of shaving with a Dorco blade.

I ended up getting frustrated and finished the shave with my Braun Pocket, which delivered a DFS. I think the Cooltec is going to end up on eBay or I will give it away, I just can't see myself using something that performs so poorly. Considering this originally cost around three figures, that's a really poor value in a shaver.

I got at least six months of usage out of mine. The foil didn't corrode, it just wore through.

I would never recommend Remington foil shavers to anybody with sensitive skin, though. There's a reason the foils don't last, they are very thin.
Actually, the foil didn’t corrode. The cutters corroded as a result of rinsing them clean with water. I think that the corrosion dulled them which ten required me applying more pressure to the shaver which then wore a hole or cracked the screen. I agree that Remington shaver foils are very thin.

Actually, the foil didn’t corrode. The cutters corroded as a result of rinsing them clean with water. I think that the corrosion dulled them which ten required me applying more pressure to the shaver which then wore a hole or cracked the screen. I agree that Remington shaver foils are very thin.

Not to keep rehashing this topic but that is exactly why I am a proponent of, and have success with, the concept of a cleaning station for an electric shaver. Simply rinsing with water can keep it wet in tight areas, can leave water deposits on the blades impacting performance, and force regular applications of oil or face premature blade replacements. Cleaning stations take care of all of this for you in one simple step for a minor additional monthly expense. Heck, even if you don't believe in it's daily use you will see great benefit from running it even once or twice monthly.

Not to keep rehashing this topic but that is exactly why I am a proponent of, and have success with, the concept of a cleaning station for an electric shaver. Simply rinsing with water can keep it wet in tight areas, can leave water deposits on the blades impacting performance, and force regular applications of oil or face premature blade replacements. Cleaning stations take care of all of this for you in one simple step for a minor additional monthly expense. Heck, even if you don't believe in it's daily use you will see great benefit from running it even once or twice monthly.
When I used the Remington shaver there were no cleaning stations available. If memory serves me correctly, the Remington instructions didn’t mention allowing the parts to dry before putting the head back on the shaver as do the instructions for my Braun 7893s shaver. If I thought rinsing the shaver was a good idea, I would use isopropyl alcohol which is inexpensive and dries very quickly while killing any germs which might inhabit the shaver. Is isopropyl alcohol the key ingredient in the cleaning station fluid? I have been using Braun/Eltron/Ronson (Braun shavers sold under those brand names in US) screen type shavers since the early 1970s and never lubricated them nor rinsed them with any liquid or applied any type of oil. In all those years I never had an issue with corrosion, pathogens odor, skin rashes or skin infections. I just brushed out the cuttings daily.

Obviously, a cleaning station is the easiest way to clean the shaver, sanitize it and lubricate it if any of those are important other than getting rid of the cuttings. While reading the Panasonic 9000 Prestige comments on Shavercheck, one poster recommends using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner on a Braun shaver cassette after removing it from the cleaning station. He was amazed at the amount of gunk that the ultrasound removed which the cleaning station missed. Maybe some engineer at Proctor & Gamble will read that post and incorporate ultrasound into their next version of the Braun cleaning stations. The packaging will read “New and Improved Ultrasonic Cleaning Station”. 😃

Apparrently alot of other guys are complaining about Braun Series 3 foils pulling and tugging. It has something to do with Braun cheaping out on the cassette design:

At any rate, mine is up for sale. Not impressed with the quality of the shave.

Apparrently alot of other guys are complaining about Braun Series 3 foils pulling and tugging. It has something to do with Braun cheaping out on the cassette design:

At any rate, mine is up for sale. Not impressed with the quality of the shave.
My only thought is that this is the very lowest level of their line of shavers and you sometimes get what you pay for. I do know that the series 7 and higher are manufactured in Germany and the lower level shavers and probably the cassettes are made in various Asian countries.

My only thought is that this is the very lowest level of their line of shavers and you sometimes get what you pay for. I do know that the series 7 and higher are manufactured in Germany and the lower level shavers and probably the cassettes are made in various Asian countries.

I doubt the country of origin has anything to do with the issue, as it is manifest in significant tugging and pulling that results in a shave that's irritating and not particularly close at all (in between an old Norelco and a good foil shaver), something that even Remington shavers don't do (and they've been made in China for years). For what it's worth, though, the cassettes are supposed to be made in Germany. Unless there is counterfeitting going on, perhaps, and Amazon is just clueless about the issue.

I doubt the country of origin has anything to do with the issue, as it is manifest in significant tugging and pulling that results in a shave that's irritating and not particularly close at all (in between an old Norelco and a good foil shaver), something that even Remington shavers don't do (and they've been made in China for years). For what it's worth, though, the cassettes are supposed to be made in Germany. Unless there is counterfeitting going on, perhaps, and Amazon is just clueless about the issue.
It may be possible that there’s a series of defective cassettes regardless of their country of origin. Does Braun offer their thirty day money back guarantee? If so, why not just return the shaver.

The reason is that you have air conditioning. At even 77F degrees the air is fairly dry. I hadn’t heard that talc will dull the blades.
Talc in the small amount you use shouldn't dull the blades. It's a real fine powder too. I myself have never had any problems with any of my shavers after using talc preshave sticks, or powder.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Talc in the small amount you use shouldn't dull the blades. It's a real fine powder too. I myself have never had any problems with any of my shavers after using talc preshave sticks, or powder.

Clayton

Like you I used preshave powder to dry my face in the past and never noticed that the shaver cutter places dulled faster.

I don't think the price-point has alot to do with the problems with the Series 3 design. Braun's single foil shavers have sharp cutters that don't pull.

I don't think the price-point has alot to do with the problems with the Series 3 design. Braun's single foil shavers have sharp cutters that don't pull.
I looked at the Amazon comments and only the first two were very critical of the cutters and one further down was one comment that was critical of the cutters. All the other comments were very complementary with four stars. That’s what made me think that something had changed in the manufacturing of the cutter. If this is a new shaver I would return it to Braun for a refund.

The Series-3 shavers in my opinion are made for men with a light beard. I can only get a socially acceptable shave with my Cool-Tec and I have a medium to heavy beard. It does ok when used daily, but if you miss a day it will tug and pull whiskers. It has to do with how the hairs get to the cutters through the foil, and the motor run's slower so the cutters don't cut efficiently.

Clayton

Top Bottom