What's new

Braun 7-series Paint Problem

Hi guys, I’ve been shaving with a vintage Gillette and Feather AS-D2 for a number of years. Recently, my father passed away and I inherited his Braun 760cc shaver. It has sentimental value to me, so I am going to keep it and use it.

There is a common problem with Braun 7-series shavers where their paint chips off on the back due to exposure to cleaning solution. Did anyone figure out what paint to use to touch it up and make it look better?

Since it’s a common problem I figured somebody already figured it out. I greatly appreciate your thoughts, guys.

Hi guys, I’ve been shaving with a vintage Gillette and Feather AS-D2 for a number of years. Recently, my father passed away and I inherited his Braun 760cc shaver. It has sentimental value to me, so I am going to keep it and use it.

There is a common problem with Braun 7-series shavers where their paint chips off on the back due to exposure to cleaning solution. Did anyone figure out what paint to use to touch it up and make it look better?

Since it’s a common problem I figured somebody already figured it out. I greatly appreciate your thoughts, guys.

I wouldn’t try to repaint it. That might make it look worse. You might want to leave it as he used it. You might want to replace the cutter/screen cassette.

Reactions: ctr
Yep, a common problem with the old Series 7. I doubt any touch up would stay on either - doesn't affect the function, and I'd leave it as-is, battle scars and all. Great idea to use it, and a wonderful memory and tribute.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t know much about them but trying to match the paint would be difficult. I would just change the cutters/foils if possible and then use it battles scars and all as previously mentioned.

It's the alcohol in the cleaning solution that removes the finish. It happened to mine. The head lock broke too. Great shaver otherwise.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Regardless of the paint issue use the shaver in memory of while thinking about the good times you had with your dad. He obviously didn’t mind the paint.

Like everyone else said, not much you can do unfortunately. You can stop using the cleaning station as to not exacerbate the issue. I honestly don't know if this would help or not but I have heard of people using a clear nail polish to just cover the exposed areas and try to stop it from spreading.

That happens to old shavers. I have one that belonged to my grandpa and the paint is wearing off one of the metal decals on the side where his thumb gripped it for years. It's still a great shaver, though (and it's the one depicted in my avatar photo).

As long as it isn't interfering with the function, I don't mess with cosmetic stuff all that much in old shavers.

Great story!

I came to the conclusion the cleaning stations and solution don't do much and actually may wear the cutters faster. Just my opinion. Normally tap and brush the razor daily. Weakly faucet rinse and oil. Seems to be working well.

Here is an update of what it looks like after I cleaned up the paint that was pealing off. I sanded the paint that was chipping (black part) and polished it with my automotive polishes. It could use more polishing, but I got to be honest, with my aging eyes from a foot away, it looks close to perfect 😀.

It’s been two years and I’ve been alternating using cleaning station with manually cleaning the shaver with soap and lubricating it afterwards. There were no additional discoloration or paint chipping since I cleaned it.

Attachments

• F7DA780C-F476-4C7E-828F-4960A74B62EC.jpeg
    F7DA780C-F476-4C7E-828F-4960A74B62EC.jpeg
    995 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom