What's new

Brasso OK on Gold Tech?

I know I need to be careful on any gold razor, after a mild cleaning is it ok to use Brasso to polish it? Thanks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Brasso is a No No for certain.
Unless you don't want a gold razor. Then it's good, 'cause the brasso (and Nevrdull) will eat everything down to the base metal.

What SHOULD he use then? Flitz, or maybe Maas? I saw there was a disclaimer on the Flitz bottle that says not to use on electroplating. Does that mean do not use on razors?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What SHOULD he use then? Flitz, or maybe Maas? I saw there was a disclaimer on the Flitz bottle that says not to use on electroplating. Does that mean do not use on razors?

Well, for me, it's a good cleaning only on gold razors. It is unbelievably easy to gently wipe off the gold. I use Flitz and Blue Magic on Nickel plated razors with no real problems, unless you "go to town" on them.

Brasso is much more abrasive than Silvo. See the descriptions below for descriptions of their usage FWIW.

I use Silvo on my nickel/rhodiums.

Haven't had an issue yet.

Don't have any goldies so can't comment.

Dunno if it helps you any, perhaps silvo under the head or something as a test if no one can give you a definitive answer.......

BRASSO® Multi-Purpose Metal Polish is a multi-purpose metal polish for a variety of metals including brass, copper, stainless steel, chrome, aluminum, pewter, and bronze, bringing luster to your home.

SILVO® Multi-Purpose Metal Polish is a creamy liquid polish for a variety of metals such as silver, gold, chrome, and mirrors. SILVO® cleans and polishes with no harsh abrasives so you can clean and shine your most treasured possessions with complete confidence.

any polishing,even with only a soft cloth will over time wear away plating on a razor.That's why all heavily used razors are in need of re-plating.No one polished those old razors,they just wiped them off after each use.That's enough to wear away plating,especially gold the softest metal.

Don't use any polish at all on a gold razor. The only thing you'll end up doing is screwing up the lacquer coating and the razor will end up looking like crap. I just rinse them with hot water and wipe them dry with soft facial tissue.

Len

I imagine, most of us who served in the armed forces found out, through experience, how easily Brasso removes a protective lacquer coating.

Definitely not Brasso.

Get some jewelery cleaner, the kind you can out the lid on and shake the jar or let it soak. It's made for cleaning gold.

proxy.php

Last edited:
The only thing I might use is wax, I used Flitz on a gold tech once and it removed all the clearcoat and some of the gold as well.

Top Bottom