What's new

Brass TTO/Butterfly Safety Razor. What Models Should I be Looking At?

Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle​

https://www.amazon.com/Seki-Japan-Butterfly-Chromium-3-14inch/dp/B08NTYW747/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1F3QC36RQGBR3&keywords=seki+city+razor&qid=1666286560&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjgyIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=seki+city+razor,aps,1007&sr=8-3#
  1. Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle

$55.73

It is what I was looking for also. I bought one. Japanese Seki City quality craftsmanship. Brand new, no refurb necessary. $56. It us everything that it looks like in the photos.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle​

https://www.amazon.com/Seki-Japan-Butterfly-Chromium-3-14inch/dp/B08NTYW747/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1F3QC36RQGBR3&keywords=seki+city+razor&qid=1666286560&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjgyIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=seki+city+razor,aps,1007&sr=8-3#
  1. Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle

$55.73

It is what I was looking for also. I bought one. Japanese Seki City quality craftsmanship. Brand new, no refurb necessary. $56. It us everything that it looks like in the photos.
Interesting. I had never seen that before. I did add it to my Amazon wish list. ;)

$55.73

Kind of reminds me of the Weishi/VdH/MicroTouch razor but with better quality materials

It does. Strangely enough, this is the razor I had in mind. It was on the manufacturer's website. But only the chrome and black version was,available on Amazon at the time, so that's what I ordered.

However, they must have just started sending the other versions to Amazon. My guess is that the warehouse workers were probably not away of the other versions. When I received my razor, it was the bronze brass version that I wanted in the first place.

I think that most of the TTO razors were copied from and resemble the original Gillette Speed Safe.

As I understand it, this razor is more efficient and has more of a blade feel than the Weishi. I have thought it looks like a Weishi myself.

I have a $14 Wilkinson Sword TTO and it is surprising well built and shaves real close, similar to the Seki City.

Nickel causes cancer in California.

Metallic nickel and some nickel compounds
are already designated as carcinogenic substances under Proposition 65.

Is that right? I guess California needs to ban these then, just to be safe. 😄😄😄

Jefferson-Nickel-Unc-Obv.jpg

Last edited:
Nickel causes cancer in California.

Metallic nickel and some nickel compounds
are already designated as carcinogenic substances under Proposition 65.
I love the way you put that. Highlights one more reason why so many people are moving away from there.

It does. Strangely enough, this is the razor I had in mind. It was on the manufacturer's website. But only the chrome and black version was,available on Amazon at the time, so that's what I ordered.

However, they must have just started sending the other versions to Amazon. My guess is that the warehouse workers were probably not away of the other versions. When I received my razor, it was the bronze brass version that I wanted in the first place.

I think that most of the TTO razors were copied from and resemble the original Gillette Speed Safe.

As I understand it, this razor is more efficient and has more of a blade feel than the Weishi. I have thought it looks like a Weishi myself.

I have a $14 Wilkinson Sword TTO and it is surprising well built and shaves real close, similar to the Seki City.

Curious about any new thoughts about the Gifu or Wilkinson Sword TTO razors 4 months later.

Curious about any new thoughts about the Gifu or Wilkinson Sword TTO razors 4 months later.

Can't speak about the Gifu. For $15 and change, I think the Wilkinson Sword TTO is the best razor I have found for the dollar.

It's really a well built all around razor. It doesn't seem like an entry level razor to me. Either when holding it or shaving with it, it has the feel and the performance of a more expensive razor.

I put it ahead of a typical R89/DE89 razor as far as Aggressiveness us concerned. I would place the former as around a "5", being an average shave, to the Wilkinson Sword being a "6".

I do get a very close shave with this razor. It is also very easy to shave with. Like any razor with blade feel, it is important to shave with a sharp undamaged blade.

My most used razor is the R41 head on various handles. However, I don't particularly care for shaving the area above and below my mustache with the R41. So, I use the Wilkinson Sword for it.

Being that I remove and clean the blade after every shave, it is no big deal to pop it in the TTO for the mustache trim.

Small talking points are: I think that overall, I do prefer the extra weight of having a solid two piece head.

And, with my 3-piece razors, I can interchange the heads and handles. This is a nice bonus that you don't have with a TTO.

Overall, I do consider it easier and more convenient to use. It saves a lot of time and effort over other multi-piece designs. Really can't think of any negatives about it?

Can't speak about the Gifu. For $15 and change, I think the Wilkinson Sword TTO is the best razor I have found for the dollar.

It's really a well built all around razor. It doesn't seem like an entry level razor to me. Either when holding it or shaving with it, it has the feel and the performance of a more expensive razor.

I put it ahead of a typical R89/DE89 razor as far as Aggressiveness us concerned. I would place the former as around a "5", being an average shave, to the Wilkinson Sword being a "6".

I do get a very close shave with this razor. It is also very easy to shave with. Like any razor with blade feel, it is important to shave with a sharp undamaged blade.

My most used razor is the R41 head on various handles. However, I don't particularly care for shaving the area above and below my mustache with the R41. So, I use the Wilkinson Sword for it.

Being that I remove and clean the blade after every shave, it is no big deal to pop it in the TTO for the mustache trim.

Small talking points are: I think that overall, I do prefer the extra weight of having a solid two piece head.

And, with my 3-piece razors, I can interchange the heads and handles. This is a nice bonus that you don't have with a TTO.

Overall, I do consider it easier and more convenient to use. It saves a lot of time and effort over other multi-piece designs. Really can't think of any negatives about it?
My search for one of the Wilkinson's came up empty. I assume this has something to do with Schick and its marketing and production.

Any tips on where to find one for ~$15?

My search for one of the Wilkinson's came up empty. I assume this has something to do with Schick and its marketing and production.

Any tips on where to find one for ~$15?
Get yourself specifically a 1940's Super Speed, i.e a Super Speed made between 1947 and 1953.

A Ranger Tech would be even better I have heard from some.

Get yourself specifically a 1940's Super Speed, i.e a Super Speed made between 1947 and 1953.

A Ranger Tech would be even better I have heard from some.

When I look on eBay, how do I ensure that is what I am looking at?

I have also read a lot of posts suggesting the British versions are the best ones.

When I look on eBay, how do I ensure that is what I am looking at?

I have also read a lot of posts suggesting the British versions are the best ones.
The early 50's Rockets are excellent shavers with a smooth well built mechanism. An English Rocket is a good razor.

A Rocket shaves about the same as a US Red Tip in my experience. An English Red Tip is slightly more efficient.

However a US 40'S Super Speed is a lovely, mild yet efficient shaver. More efficient than later incarnations arguably.

They are rare and sought after here in the UK.

Here are current Super Speed 40's listings. They all look good to me.

Gillette 40's super speed for sale | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gillette+40%27s+super+speed&_sacat=0

This is from the UK site. The sellers listed would obviously subtract the horrible postage costs!

Last edited:
I'd start with the venerable ole Super Speed just to see if you like the TTO design. A Gen 1 Super Speed (made from 1948 to 54) can be found easily here or online (Ebay, Etsy) for a reasonable price. View attachment 1609404

Last edited:

$55.73

I got a yintal 100% brass (at least they say it is) for $12 on AliExpress looks just like that but the longer handle version.
IMG_20230220_190134980_HDR.jpg

View attachment 1608834

What can you tell me about this razor? Other than being a Rhodium Gillette from England.
It's a Gillette Aristocrat. 1948-9. It should have 'Brit Pat 430030' on the baseplate. The baseplate is flat, ie there is no 'diamond' shaped mounting where the handle connects. They are what are termed 2nd generation TTO's, although I may be wrong on that. They are considered by many to be some of the finest TTO's ever made.

The mechanism is unusually smooth and the workmanship and finish is quite superb

A remarkably smooth and efficient shaver. They tend to weigh around 70-74 gms.

Here is an English Gillette Aristocrat No.16, which is very close or the same as the model you have shown
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom