What's new

Brass razors diy patina!

I came across this on the web and it looked so good I thought I’d bring it here.
Before and after pictures....
02CA0044-DC7E-4814-81EE-81D795CE0C2D.jpeg

He started with a brand new brass razor. Cleaned and scrubbed with soap then cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils or residue. Separated parts and soaked one at a time in brass aging solution (similar to brass black) for 1 minute. Rinsed in cold water and wiped down with dry clean cotton cloth.

This is the solution used Robot Check - https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Co-Brass-Bronze-Solution/dp/B005TRO276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549482651&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+ager+solution

Those pictures are after using and wiping down 5 or 6 times show how the edges start to develop a brass sheen. Once the look is achieved he was going to use renaissance wax to preserve the look and keep it from lightening further.

Looked so good I had to share. Now I need a brass Karve!

Liver of sulfur (ammonium sulfide) does a good job of patinizing brass - I've used it on watch cases and rasors with some success. It stinks and you need to wear rubber gloves but the result is generally good after about 10 mins of reaction.

I spent some time tonight playing with my new dremel tool. Using Fritz polish compound and a cloth buffing wheel. Did the handle first in case it made a mess of things, then I did the top cap. It's pretty shiny, but I don't think I want to try and maintain that look. Also, I don't know how you'd ever do the same with an OC base plate with all those teeth. I think I'll go to the dark side.

I came across this on the web and it looked so good I thought I’d bring it here.
Before and after pictures....
View attachment 1048727

He started with a brand new brass razor. Cleaned and scrubbed with soap then cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils or residue. Separated parts and soaked one at a time in brass aging solution (similar to brass black) for 1 minute. Rinsed in cold water and wiped down with dry clean cotton cloth.

This is the solution used Robot Check - https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Co-Brass-Bronze-Solution/dp/B005TRO276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549482651&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+ager+solution

Those pictures are after using and wiping down 5 or 6 times show how the edges start to develop a brass sheen. Once the look is achieved he was going to use renaissance wax to preserve the look and keep it from lightening further.

Looked so good I had to share. Now I need a brass Karve!

Great looking!! Thanks for sharing! :a14: :a14:

Beautiful color! I recently opted to get my brass Karve plated, so I will miss the patina game (although I'll still have one regular brass plate).

One can also let time, exposure to air and water, and the chemical process of oxidation (along with carbonates and sulfides) occur NATURALLY.
Chemically-induced (fake) patinas just never look right and are always obvious.
As a jazz trumpet player, I play a raw brass horn with a splendid patina which developed over the course of years of daily playing. There are also horn players who attempt to achieve the "look" by chemically treating their brass instruments, and it always stands out as a dead giveaway!
"Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby" -Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.

Is this patina effect, using any of the mentioned methods permanent, and there would be no tarnish of brass after using this method?

As I knew it, the acidity of ketchup removes oxidation. It is used to restore a shine to copper pots, not oxidize or patina them. Does it really act in the opposite on brass?

liver of sulfur is what we used in silversmithing class-smells like bile and sulfur.

One can also let time, exposure to air and water, and the chemical process of oxidation (along with carbonates and sulfides) occur NATURALLY.
Chemically-induced (fake) patinas just never look right and are always obvious.
As a jazz trumpet player, I play a raw brass horn with a splendid patina which developed over the course of years of daily playing. There are also horn players who attempt to achieve the "look" by chemically treating their brass instruments, and it always stands out as a dead giveaway!
"Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby" -Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.
This. A thousand times.

A good patina is earned.

I was on the preorder for the Karve brass model. Here is mine with a newer g plate for reference. No forced patina just time, can always clean it back up if you don't like it and start over imo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200102_193024833.jpg
    IMG_20200102_193024833.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200102_193329431.jpg
    IMG_20200102_193329431.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom