What's new

Brass razors diy patina!

I came across this on the web and it looked so good I thought I’d bring it here.
Before and after pictures....
View attachment 1048727

He started with a brand new brass razor. Cleaned and scrubbed with soap then cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils or residue. Separated parts and soaked one at a time in brass aging solution (similar to brass black) for 1 minute. Rinsed in cold water and wiped down with dry clean cotton cloth.

This is the solution used Robot Check - https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Co-Brass-Bronze-Solution/dp/B005TRO276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549482651&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+ager+solution

Those pictures are after using and wiping down 5 or 6 times show how the edges start to develop a brass sheen. Once the look is achieved he was going to use renaissance wax to preserve the look and keep it from lightening further.

Looked so good I had to share. Now I need a brass Karve!

What razor is that?

I keep my Karve polished. I like the polished feel of the handle and cap.

Karve.jpg

Is this patina effect, using any of the mentioned methods permanent, and there would be no tarnish of brass after using this method?
The patina is initially a layer of oxidation, giving a reddish-brown color. The initial layer of oxidation will develop green and blue colors over time that are from further chemical reactions.

Patina is durable with care, but can be scratched or scraped off. If you dropped the razor to the floor, you might see bare metal in a few spots, for instance.

Yup. I went thru the experimental stage. Anything with ammonia, and a dash of salt if you like greens and blues. I messed around quite a bit but couldn’t get it just right. Fun though. I’ll settle on time and a little buffing from time to time.

You could bury it in ketchup for a few days. Drummers do that with cymbals to try aging them.
Ketchup works. But I didn't submerge the parts. I smeared it on so the coating was uneven so the result was a kind of marble effect. It's a start and now I'll be buffing it lightly.

Top Bottom