What's new

Brass Razor and Patina Pics

In previous lives, all of mine were "loved til the gold wore off," then cast aside until they were found, rescued and brought back into use, so to speak. Before and afters of a Fat Handle Post War Tech, Thick Cap Old Type (cracks stabilized and end cap made from a brass PEX plumbing fitting), New Short Comb and New Long Comb

That's some great cleanup work and it's awesome that you saved those razors and put them back in use! Do you have a favorite?

For light work, the Tech is real easy to get a DFS with one pass and touchup, the old type gives a good shave, but I really have to pay attention or keep the styptic handy, but the short and long combs are my overall favorites for a three plus growth because they take it down real efficiently in two passes. If I was to pick one, I’d go with the short comb because I weighted the handle by filling the hollow handle with birdshot and sealed it with candle wax, so I can reverse it later if needed. For sentimental reasons the old type will always have a spot because I rescued a $3.00 razor with some epoxy, a cut off bolt and a $3.00 plumbing part that I put into a drill and turned it down with a file to fit the end and then polished it up. They’re all like my kids, hard to have a favorite...

For light work, the Tech is real easy to get a DFS with one pass and touchup, the old type gives a good shave, but I really have to pay attention or keep the styptic handy, but the short and long combs are my overall favorites for a three plus growth because they take it down real efficiently in two passes. If I was to pick one, I’d go with the short comb because I weighted the handle by filling the hollow handle with birdshot and sealed it with candle wax, so I can reverse it later if needed. For sentimental reasons the old type will always have a spot because I rescued a $3.00 razor with some epoxy, a cut off bolt and a $3.00 plumbing part that I put into a drill and turned it down with a file to fit the end and then polished it up. They’re all like my kids, hard to have a favorite...
Awesome work on that repair, I'm loving that you managed to integrate a pex crimp in there, great ingenuity!

Here's a little patina for ya!
Not the razor,... my custom trumpet in raw brass!
NEVER polish raw brass!
20200331_144915(1).jpg

Nice work saving some classic razors! Nice Hull Pottery Old Spice mug from back in the day to go with them!

Nice work saving some classic razors! Nice Hull Pottery Old Spice mug from back in the day to go with them!
The mugs, like the razors, began with one and the rest started following me home--I think there are one or two in the series that I'm missing yet, otherwise one from each era). I've been meaning to take a group shot, so this is a good opportunity/excuse (razors included so I'm not hijacking a thread). Regarding the Hull Pottery mug, it was one of those "Holy Grail" moments where it was intermixed in with a bunch of other pottery on a shelf like in the third Indiana Jones movie. Included is a shot of the bottom imprint which is much clearer than the photo on the Old Spice Collectible website.

Attachments

• mugs.jpg
    mugs.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • mug bottom.jpg
    mug bottom.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
The mugs, like the razors, began with one and the rest started following me home--I think there are one or two in the series that I'm missing yet, otherwise one from each era). I've been meaning to take a group shot, so this is a good opportunity/excuse (razors included so I'm not hijacking a thread). Regarding the Hull Pottery mug, it was one of those "Holy Grail" moments where it was intermixed in with a bunch of other pottery on a shelf like in the third Indiana Jones movie. Included is a shot of the bottom imprint which is much clearer than the photo on the Old Spice Collectible website.

I thought one Old Spice mug was all I needed, too! The Hull Pottery mug was my second, and triggered my willingness to adopt its siblings from the wild razor hunting grounds.

Your pottery mug looks better made and better preserved than mine. My coffee mug was the one that startled me from a big jumble of pottery.

Nothing better to match a vintage razor with a good patina than a vintage mug!

01CAC2E6-92CA-4F43-8126-AFEEC0433A5C.jpeg

I thought one Old Spice mug was all I needed, too! The Hull Pottery mug was my second, and triggered my willingness to adopt its siblings from the wild razor hunting grounds.

Your pottery mug looks better made and better preserved than mine. My coffee mug was the one that startled me from a big jumble of pottery.

Nothing better to match a vintage razor with a good patina than a vintage mug!

View attachment 1084126
Agreed, I like the lid. My hope is that once things settle down and we're able to get out again, that supply for razors and mugs will catch up with demand and there will be more to choose from. I considered taking the Hull Pottery mug to work to use for coffee/display, but figured it would get handled too much/broken and I couldn't stand that thought.

Thanks. I used liver of sulfur.
Gotta get me some - thanks. A buddy of mine's wife makes jewellery and uses Liver of Sulphur all the time. She recommended it to me, but until now, I had never seen it on bare brass.

She told me it wears off relatively easily with contact with fingers, which would give it even more character eventually.

Top Bottom