What's new

Brass Razor and Patina Pics

Tom, I admire your ability to make a razor like that. The tip looks a lot like a Mergress but the head is unique. Nice work.
Thank you. Several months ago somebody contacted me about making a cap for their FAMEX razor. They sent the broken cap and the base. When I had it, I measured everything and made my own FAMEX. The geometry was really nice on mine. So I incorporated the same geometry for my Adjustable.

Here is my FAMEX. I call my design TOMX. Handle is from Maggard
C2436CB9-89AF-47AF-8E62-397FA9F86B36.jpeg
1CCEEC80-214E-46CF-8AE0-E3BDA36B4795.jpeg

It's been a while since a pulled these out of the drawer, they look to be in better shape than i remember. The top one looks like the plating is mostly intact, and the other one looks to have lost all plating. Any tips on polishing or removing scratches would be appreciated.
View attachment 1067193

View attachment 1067194

View attachment 1067195

If you would polish the brass as it is right now you probably will get an shine but the topcap is full of tiny scratches. With fine sandpaper you can remove the scratches and progressively work to towards the polishing fase. I would start at 1000/1200 and upwards. Finish with Brasso or an simulair product. Be gentle it's an soft metal. Buffing wheels (dremel) could also be used at low rmp's.

Go back to my pictures and zoom in. I didn't use sandpaper at all.

Just realized that both of my pictures were the same “before.” Sorry about that, my rocket design work for NASA has me overwhelmed. Therefore, once again, I give you before and after of my Old Type.

Here’s the patina on my maternal grandfather’s Old Type. I would never give it a high polish.

I used it for about 40 years and finally decided to take the coating of soft green verdigris off with some Brasso.

Then I googled a bit about razors, ended up on B&B, and have since managed to acquire a few shave items. My Karve’s patina is not progressing very rapidly. It has had to take turns in the rotation queue for too much of its life.

35706E8C-7852-43E2-90D0-AEA0CE0F8DF2.jpeg
26DFAC90-6347-4A6A-8895-E28330A54346.jpeg

Shining up your tarnished razor can be great, but it also can be fun to keep the patina on a vintage razor. Attached is a photo of my 1930s Gillette ball end. My nephew found it at a swap meet. After giving the ball end a Barbicide soak (it was very clean), I decided to keep the patina. Shaves beautifully.

Attachments

• Ball end razor.JPG
    Ball end razor.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 45
I have thought of polishing the handle and the top of the cap of my Christopher Bradley. And only then letting its patina develop, instead of leaving the matte finish to patina.

No way I’m polishing the surfaces that clamp the blade.
I have polished most of my Matte or Satin razors and did not polish under the cap or the top of the base. However, after a little research, I do not believe that you can have any noticeable impact on the gap by polishing the entire razor. I think that replating probably has a greater propensity to impact the gap. Just an opinion nothing scientific on my view.

I have thought of polishing the handle and the top of the cap of my Christopher Bradley. And only then letting its patina develop, instead of leaving the matte finish to patina.

No way I’m polishing the surfaces that clamp the blade.
I did polish the safety bar but not the clamping surfaces. If anything it shaves smoother after polishing.

Top Bottom