What's new

Brass Razor and Patina Pics

I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we post pictures of our brass razors and track the change in patina over time. Or, if you polish your brass razor, go ahead and post that too! Basically this is just a place to look at and discuss brass razors and the different ways to either develop patina or polish them.

I'll go first with the brass Karve CB I just received. It hasn't been used yet and there is definitely no patina at this point. It has the c plate and a 3" handle. My plan is to let it develop a patina naturally over time but if I get tired of wiping it down after every use I'll do a chemical patina.

Let's see your brass razors too!

IMG_20200222_121807.jpg

Following this thread with interest. Ever since I got my Charcoal Goods I’m really only interested in brass or bronze razors now. Seen a few wolfman in antique bronze, those are some beauties too. It’s a shame there aren’t more makers using these materials out there. Here’s mine, but it already has the antique finish, which kinda disqualifies me I guess.

Attachments

• 8289E0DD-EC9D-4286-B55B-29A86D1AD4A6.jpeg
    8289E0DD-EC9D-4286-B55B-29A86D1AD4A6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
Following this thread with interest. Ever since I got my Charcoal Goods I’m really only interested in brass or bronze razors now. Seen a few wolfman in antique bronze, those are some beauties too. It’s a shame there aren’t more makers using these materials out there. Here’s mine, but it already has the antique finish, which kinda disqualifies me I guess.

Here's one more. (if bronze is aloud)

Wow beautiful razors and handles. Nope, you're not disqualified, any brass razors are welcome here.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Double wow! I'm apparently missing some context. Twhite says, "...Here is a Brass razor I literally just finished today..."
Meaning "I just made this particular razor" or "I just refinished/restored this particular razor?"

If that's a resto, great work! (and I'm gonna ask what it is so I can look for one...)

If that's new manufacture, I bow down :ouch1: (then I'm gonna ask how long your waiting list is...)

Which?

O.H.

My Karve CBB is new, I've not used it yet but it's on deck for tomorrow, and it looks quite nice fresh out of the box. Does toothpaste really clean off the patina ? Mineral oil would actually seal it and keep it looking new ? I read the instruction/hints-and-tips sheet but wanted to ask regardless. No offence intended for the patina-clad units, but I really like the clean look of the freshly bead blasted razor.

Double wow! I'm apparently missing some context. Twhite says, "...Here is a Brass razor I literally just finished today..."
Meaning "I just made this particular razor" or "I just refinished/restored this particular razor?"

If that's a resto, great work! (and I'm gonna ask what it is so I can look for one...)

If that's new manufacture, I bow down :ouch1: (then I'm gonna ask how long your waiting list is...)

Which?

O.H.
Thank you. I designed and made this razor. I wanted a solid brass adjustable DE. So I set about making one.
I have previously made an injector and several SE’s. I do it for the challenge.

I also made this same DE in Aluminum. That weighs 56g total opposite ends of the weight spectrum.

I have incorporated a few changes on my personal ones. I will post later when I finish them. If that is acceptable on the forum.

Tom

Which?

O.H.

this has me crackin up hahaha

Thank you. I designed and made this razor. I wanted a solid brass adjustable DE. So I set about making one.

I also made this same DE in Aluminum. That weighs 56g total opposite ends of the weight spectrum.

I have incorporated a few changes on my personal ones. I will post later when I finish them. If that is acceptable on the forum.

Tom

I think

Tom

Have you considered selling razors as a business? I'm sure there are a ton of members here who would love to try a custom made razor. Not even taking into account how beautiful it is.

I used my Karve for the first time today with the SB C plate and got one of the best shaves ever. I can see this being my only DE razor one day. As I continue to use it I'll post more pics as it develops patina. My photography skills need improvement but here's one more pic on a white towel instead of green. Going forward I'll use this towel for any pictures for consistency.

Eddied to add: cleanup procedure was to disassemble razor, wipe down, put back together.

IMG_20200225_084806.jpg

I think

Have you considered selling razors as a business? I'm sure there are a ton of members here who would love to try a custom made razor. Not even taking into account how beautiful it is.
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately I really have no desire to be in business for myself.

I love bringing my ideas to fruition. That is my enjoyment.

Tom

This is gorgeous. I have 2 of these with almost complete loss of plating. Can you point me to proper materials and instruction to polish them up?
I agree. I have a NEW that I want to polish up. I've bought some jewelers polishing compound and I'll use it with a cotton buffer on a dremel tool. I used some silicone flap wheels with grit on my Karve, but it was pretty aggressive. Need to go back and polish the scratches out of it.

Top Bottom