What's new

Brass cap posts on Muhle and Edwin Jagger zamak razors

I have heard that the newer Muhle R41 zamak razors have been updated with brass cap posts. If you look at the underside of the cap, a #5 indicates a brass post and a #4 is the older zamak post. I have also heard that this has been done to the R89 as well.

Does anyone know if this is true, and if this has also been done to the Edwin Jagger DE89 as well?

I have no idea if it is true, and my R41 does not have any markings on the cap at all. As long as I had it apart I put some mineral oil on the threads, but I'm not convinced that it will actually help protect the threads in any meaningful way. I had tried various lubricants and protectants on my EJ DE89 razors but still had the threads on two of them corrode over the course of several years. The good news is that the manufacturer may send you a replacement, but if not the cap can be purchased quite inexpensively.

Reactions: Kix

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve seen the King C. Gillette safety razor for sale with five blades for less than $20usd shipped from that river named place. The head is a DE89/R89 clone made in Germany, the handle is made in China, and the blades are from Russia. So a replacement ¿Mühle R89?-like head, five DE blades of solid pedigree all for less than $20 and throwing away a handle…

I have heard that the newer Muhle R41 zamak razors have been updated with brass cap posts. If you look at the underside of the cap, a #5 indicates a brass post and a #4 is the older zamak post. I have also heard that this has been done to the R89 as well.

Does anyone know if this is true, and if this has also been done to the Edwin Jagger DE89 as well?
I'm not sure what that number on the cap represents exactly. I have a Gillette Heritage with a similar head and it's got the number 8 on it.

You can tell if the post is a separate piece by inspection. There is a fine line around the post where it joins the cap. My R41 & Gillette Heritage both seem to have the post as a separate piece. Not sure on the EJs, but in person you could tell.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I'm not sure what that number on the cap represents exactly. I have a Gillette Heritage with a similar head and it's got the number 8 on it.

You can tell if the post is a separate piece by inspection. There is a fine line around the post where it joins the cap. My R41 & Gillette Heritage both seem to have the post as a separate piece. Not sure on the EJs, but in person you could tell.
I worked in high pressure aluminium casting for around 20 years and I think they may be die numbers. When a die has run its lifespan it goes out for scrap metal and a new die takes its place with a higher number. Or they could be running more than one die at a time say die 7 and 8. It makes it easier for QC incase one machine has a bad run.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The head is a DE89/R89 clone
Don't think so. Side by side there is no similarity in geometry, it shaves milder but it is nevertheless more efficient than the R89.

The bottom of the base plate curves upward, the R89 has it convex. The inner geometry is more important though, and there I will take another look. My experience with it was more like a Merkur razor than a Mühle. I just read that they are supposedly produced by Mühle, but have no info about the accuracy of this claim.

Last edited:
KCG is now in Walmart.

Isn’t that a hoot,

Attachments

• 3A203A78-FBC6-4440-9DA0-7080A85308E0.jpeg
    3A203A78-FBC6-4440-9DA0-7080A85308E0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Don't think so. Side by side there is no similarity in geometry, it shaves milder but it is nevertheless more efficient than the R89.

The bottom of the base plate curves upward, the R89 has it convex. The inner geometry is more important though, and there I will take another look. My experience with it was more like a Merkur razor than a Mühle. I just read that they are supposedly produced by Mühle, but have no info about the accuracy of this claim.
KCG heads are made by Gillette in China; evidenced by the cap code akin to "G1"
Heritage are Mühle R89s

Top Bottom