What's new

Brasilian Goodwill

R

romsitsa

Hello,

found this in google pics, and while MacDaddy mentioned Brasilian Goodwills, the pictures are long gone.
It's based on a SC, but why does it have a safety bar? Goodwills were still made when the Tech was introduced, or used up remaining stock? Or did the Brasilian company invent time travel?

proxy.php

Thanks

Adam

If you believe the handle and plate to be tied to one another, I would say they went to the way-back machine and not into the future. The plate suggests it’s post-wwii, not pre-wwii. The handle could be pre-wwii or post-wwii.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

the neck is machined down to accept the smaller opening of the head.
But let us forget the handle and only inspect the head. No patents, and while the short comb and Tech production overlapped at the end (1938-40) Goodwills were produced a few years earlier (1931-32). And then again it has oval slots (post-war in US).

Adam

Hello,

the neck is machined down to accept the smaller opening of the head.
But let us forget the handle and only inspect the head. No patents, and while the short comb and Tech production overlapped at the end (1938-40) Goodwills were produced a few years earlier (1931-32). And then again it has oval slots (post-war in US).

Adam
My notes have the Goodwill produced until at least 1935. If the tooling was sent to Brazil in the same manner that Beretta sent its pistol tooling to Brazil, market could have shaped the production(continued or delayed), creating a different produc timeline.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

MacDaddy suggested that Brazilian Gillette production started in the AutoStrop factory and it looks to be so.

"The "Auto Strop Safety Razor Company of Brazil" is hereby authorized to continue to operate in the Republic under the name "Gillette Safety Razer Company of Brazil", in accordance with the resolution of the respective shareholders adopted at a meeting held on January 24 of 1931, and by means of the clauses that accompany said decree n. 17,259, but the same company is obliged to comply with the formalities. required by the legislation in force."

Also there are at least two metal Valet cases that have a Gillette sticker on the inside, one had a Tech the other a SC Goodwill.

The first Brazilian Blue blade ads show a New type razor with Goodwill cap, so I still guess that these hybrids were used up at the begining of the Tech manufacture.

Adam

Just when I think I have seen them all, along comes something I never knew existed. Very cool bit of history.

Brazil wasn't the only Gillette factory in South America to produce the Goodwill , here is an example of the Argentinian nickle plated Goodwill based on the New short comb .The cap has no indents where the corner tabs were pressed as in the Brazilian and the underside of the cap has square holes not round, it looks like a 160 type cap? The neck on the common bar handle is also very thin compared to the Brazilian model .

agw 1.JPG

agw.JPG

agw2.JPG

Glenn

Gillette set up an office in Buenos Aires in 1919 and incorporated in 1942. Gillette & Auto Strop merged in 1930.

R

romsitsa

The Buenos Aires factory was built in 1942, after a German blade manufacturer left the country. Before that a Gillette office worked in Argentina.
According to some advertisements from 1930, Autostrop only had a factory in Brazil.

Adam

Top Bottom