What's new

Brandy. Courvoisier of Martell?

I think we all can agree that Remy Martin is about as good as it gets with ubiquitously available brandy, but I'm thinking of getting a less pricey alternative for Christmas Day. I've got Courvoisier VSOP at 350 yuan or Martell X.O at 454. I alwys rated Martell as lower then "the other two". Is this sound reasoning?

I'm going to go with neither (sorry), but of those two I've only had the Courvoisier, which I wasn't crazy about. To be fair, it was quite a while ago. For VSOP, see if you can find Hine. At least here in the States, I've found it to be one of the best values in cognac.

Last edited:
I think your reasoning is sound, though for "readily available anywhere" cognacs I tend towards Hennessey for some reason (maybe nostalgia?). For Martell, I've only had the Cordon Bleu (which is 100% awesome), and the regular VS (which ain't bad for a cheap brandy). I had some of the Courvoisier VSOP a couple of weeks ago, I would actually put it a notch above good old Remy...

Ah, Hennessy and Hine. I forgot about them. What's the difference on taste? Is the Courvoisier (I hate typing that word) sweeter, more balanced, more multi-dimensional?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For VSOP, see if you can find Hine. At least here in the States, I've found it to be one of the best values in cognac.
Obsessed:
+ 1 and I find this warm golden color Cognac full of flavor with soft tones of vanilla, honey, oak wood and spice that is very smooth on the palate.

Christopher
proxy.php
"All Cognac’s are Brandy...but not all Brandy’s are Cognac". Christopher

Attached Image - Hine VSOP Cognac

Attachments

• $fond-cognac-rare-hbyhine.jpg
    $fond-cognac-rare-hbyhine.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 661
Don't like Martell or Hennessey --- not refined enough for my taste. Courvoisier is okay - full, sweetish taste, with a nice mellow aftertaste. However, don't limit yourself to Cognac's. Several non-Cognac Napoleons I've tried match up with and surpass the cheaper cognac's. Armagnac is also good. :)

I've heard great things about Pierre Ferrand Ambre which should be available at a similar price point as Courvoiser and Martell.

I, too, was looking for a less expensive option for the holiday egg nog and went with Courvoisier. Works well for that, but a little boring neat.

I, too, was looking for a less expensive option for the holiday egg nog and went with Courvoisier. Works well for that, but a little boring neat.

You know, I've never put brandy in my nog. It's always been rum or bourbon. I'll have to try that this year. I think I definitely need to do an eggnog taste test. :thumbup1:

VSOP or better but brands/types are subjective. You might also consider Spanish Brandies which are big, brassy, and bold. Armagnac is also excellent as is Calvados which is made from apples. Germain-Robin and Jaxon Keys(formerly Jepson) are American Brandies made similar to Cognac and are worth trying.

My grandfather was a huge cognac man and his brand was Courvoisier. I haven't had the Hine, but it looks like a good choice. I'd have to say I prefer Courvoisier to Martell, but it might just be nostalgia kicking in. Although I might tend to choose an XO over a VSOP even if it's Courvoisier!

Hennessy is also good, but I think it might be a bit sweeter than others I have tried.

Top Bottom