What's new

Brand New...Questions

I am brand new to wetshaving. I currently use an electric and have disappointing results. The inability to get a close shave on my neck, which is sensitive and gets very irritated, has me dreading shaving. I have been looking into wetshaving for a while and have decided to take the plunge. I went to The Art of Shaving store and got some information. I have also been looking on the web forums. I would like to know if the fullsize starter kit at Art Of Shaving, which I can buy for $75, is a worthwhile investment. I have also located the highly touted $35 brush at a local Crabtree Evelyn. I believe both brushes are best badger. Is one superior to the other? Is the additional money for the AoS kit worth it for the pre-shave oil, creme and after shave? Are best badger brushes too coarse for someone like myself that is planning on face lathering? As far as razors go, the only ones I have seen in person are the AoS offers. The small Merkur heavyweight and the similarly priced longer handled lighter Merkur are in my price range. Anyone have recommendations for someone with fairly large hands (XL glove size)? Any opinions are appreciated.

welcome aboard, mate.

AOS is a little overpriced, but good quality I hear (having never tried them myself).

Best value in setting yourself up with a new kit is to head to the BST for some bargains, or at least check out some online vendors.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
welcome aboard, mate.

AOS is a little overpriced, but good quality I hear (having never tried them myself).

Best value in setting yourself up with a new kit is to head to the BST for some bargains, or at least check out some online vendors.

+1 on a bit steep for a first outing, though AOS soaps and creams are very good.

Check out the starter kit at Gentlemen's Best - Good products and great service;

http://gentlemensbest.com/ShavingKits.aspx

welcome!

what those guys said....

there are a number of fine vendors here from whom (from which? where at?) you can put together a very nice kit for a reasonable price.

AOS is good, but a little pricey - on the other hand, it's nice to just get the kit & get going, isn't it? A couple bucks for convenience might be worth it.

In any event - it's good to have you here.

Thanks for the responses. I think I may take my chances with the AoS full size kit to start with. I may shoot over and check out the brushes at CE first. I definitely want to get everything together to start use tonight even if it is a few dollars more. Nobody mentioned anything about the quality of the CE brush, which I believe is an Edwin Jagger best badger, or the best badger included in the AoS fullsize $100 kit. Also, the choice of the shot but heavy Merkur or the long lighter Merkur (which breaks down into 3 pieces). All replies appreciated.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the responses. I think I may take my chances with the AoS full size kit to start with. I may shoot over and check out the brushes at CE first. I definitely want to get everything together to start use tonight even if it is a few dollars more. Nobody mentioned anything about the quality of the CE brush, which I believe is an Edwin Jagger best badger, or the best badger included in the AoS fullsize $100 kit. Also, the choice of the shot but heavy Merkur or the long lighter Merkur (which breaks down into 3 pieces). All replies appreciated.

If you are referring to the Chrome handled AOS Brush, it is reviewed here;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=A&t=130348

Welcome to B&B!

The neck area is a usual suspect of difficulty for many. I had the same problem many years ago when I used an electric. There is a better way, but there is a learning curve as well. Time and patience and you will enjoy your shaves.

Cheers!

Thank you for all of the responses. Still have not made a purchase. Went by Crabtree Evelyn. The $35 brush is pure badger, not fine badger like they used to sell for $35...the fine is now $65. Also, the brush in the AoS fullsize kit is also pure badger, not best badger like I had thought, and felt very scratchy to me. I will probably buy everything separately now. What are the recommendations here for a $50-$60 brush, preferably fine/super badger, and what is recommended for pre-shave oil, shave cream, and after shave? Last, what is the preferred razor for a new wetshaver with a sensitive neck? I am interested in buying good quality stuff right from the start to avoid buying things twice.

Hi, Welcome to B&B.

I can give you some suggestions for creams, and razors.

Creams:

The Real Shave Co, @ Rite Aid is about $5 a tube and is made by the same folks who make the creams for Trueffit & Hill, and TOBS, for example.

Prorasso/ CO Bigelow $10 in the green metallic tube.

If you like the scent of the AOS creams, pick it up separately. I love the scent of the Sandalwood.

Razors:

Don't buy them at AOS, they are very overpriced.

My favorite razor is the Barber Pole Slant Bar, and in general I tend to favor longer, heavier razors. Do you have thick coarse whiskers, or sensitive skin? I think in making the transition, you will like the longer handled razors better.

I've never tried the Merkur HD, but have tried the Edwin Jagger DE89L which gave very irritation free shaves.

Also, please don't use Merkur Blades. They are not horrible, but there are better blades for much less money. I would strongly consider a Blade Sampler.

most shoppersdrugmart that i've been to carry the Prorasso line (soaps, creams, pre/post shave creams) for a decent price. You might want to check that out first if the websites you shop at hit you with crazy shipping charges.

I'm new here myself, though not new to wet shaving. I bought the small starter kit. I like the AOS preshave oil quite a bit, but I think you may be able to find better deals on the brush. I tried their shave cream and it is also not bad, but I prefer a soap. I can take or leave the post shave balm.

Great suggestions above. You may want to head over to the brush forums and ask the mavens there for advice. I knew very little about brushes and got some great advice before I made my purchase (Simpsons Colonel) which I am delighted with.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I still have not bought any supplies, but am narrowing down my list. I have a question about razors. What are the advantages and disadvantages to the open comb and closed comb designs? I went to a shop today that had the popular short Merkur, I believe the 34C, in both open and closed versions, as well what looked to me to be the same razor with a longer handle in both versions. Any responses will be helpful.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for all of the advice so far. I still have not bought any supplies, but am narrowing down my list. I have a question about razors. What are the advantages and disadvantages to the open comb and closed comb designs? I went to a shop today that had the popular short Merkur, I believe the 34C, in both open and closed versions, as well what looked to me to be the same razor with a longer handle in both versions. Any responses will be helpful.

The Open comb vs. Closed Comb. The difference is pretty much a different model and that's it. Which one is best? You need to try them, that's the bummer :)tongue_sm).

I prefer open comb myself (when I used one) as I could see the teeth marks in the lather if my angle was off. The close comb will pick-up the lather via the bar. The open comb pick-up the lather via the blade.

The long and short handle is another preference. I like short handles, easier to work with. Some prefer longer handles, bigger hands. A longer handle will be heavier by default.

Top Bottom