What's new

BRAND NEW Copper Lather Bowl - tell me what you think!!

If this bowl is unlaquered, I would consider it for sure! Your existing copper bowls having a laquer is the only reason I haven't bought one. I'd rather have raw copper, no laquer, but the forced patina, unlaquered on this one would be okay.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If this bowl is unlaquered, I would consider it for sure! Your existing copper bowls having a laquer is the only reason I haven't bought one. I'd rather have raw copper, no laquer, but the forced patina, unlaquered on this one would be okay.
My CC copper bowl sure isn't lacquered. Its patina is ever changing and becoming ever richer with touches of verdigris --not something I'd expect were it lacquered.

My CC copper bowl sure isn't lacquered. Its patina is ever changing and becoming ever richer with touches of verdigris --not something I'd expect were it lacquered.
Both the standard and the heavyweight state on the Captain's Choice website 'coated in a protective lacquer'. Perhaps that wasn't always the case?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Both the standard and the heavyweight state on the Captain's Choice website 'coated in a protective lacquer'. Perhaps that wasn't always the case?
I cannot say. FWIW, I bought my bowl earlier this year without paying much attention to whether it was lacquered of not. All I know is that it is aging well and looking good.

Do yourself a favor and email the captain. He's always forthcoming and helpful. You might end up with one of his copper bowls yet.

I cannot say. FWIW, I bought my bowl earlier this year without paying much attention to whether it was lacquered of not. All I know is that it is aging well and looking good.

Do yourself a favor and email the captain. He's always forthcoming and helpful. You might end up with one of his copper bowls yet.

Sorry for the confusion, guys. Will get the site updated today. Originally and for some time they were lacquered and it was marine grade, so heavy duty. In spite of that it wore off in time. Customers noted flaking, etc. There has not been lacquer used for about two years or so now. So long as the bowls are wiped dry after each use they will age gracefully.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think it is called liver of sulfur.
I'm 99.9% certain that you are right my friend.

You brought me right back to an old enamel over copper (tiny, lol!) plate I created in 7th grade Art class. I knew it was sulfur, but the "liver" part escaped my Swiss Cheese brain!

Thank you for connecting the dots!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The color reminds me of a project I did in school with copper. I used a chemical to change the color, but I can't remember the name. However, I'll never forget the rotten egg smell. Great stuff, must have been some type of sulfur.
Were we classmates in 7th grade Art?!?

Top Bottom