What's new

BRAND NEW Copper Lather Bowl - tell me what you think!!

I love my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. I'm unlikely to buy another lather bowl unless something happens to my current bowl.

Well okay, if you insist. Anything for a sale... :biggrin1:

sledgehammer.jpg

This is a prototype that we need to hear from you on. Tell us what you think of this design. To be clear, the lather bowl itself is one of our Heavyweights. It is the finish that is different.

Tell us if you would choose it over our other lather bowls only because of the finish on it.

Thanks for your help!

~ The Captain

View attachment 1313209
View attachment 1313210

View attachment 1313212
I'll be looking for a metal lather bowl in the Winter this year and this is a BEAUTIFUL bowl.

I'll definitely choose this over the other bowls except maybe the Sapphire Specialty bowl - it is also an eye candy.

Few questions -

Will this finish stay, develop or fade away over the time?

Will it cost the same as the heavyweight copper bowl?

I'll be looking for a metal lather bowl in the Winter this year and this is a BEAUTIFUL bowl.

I'll definitely choose this over the other bowls except maybe the Sapphire Specialty bowl - it is also an eye candy.

Few questions -

Will this finish stay, develop or fade away over the time?

Will it cost the same as the heavyweight copper bowl?

Great questions and we are working on them so it may take time before we know. It is an entirely different process that is more labor intensive. Because it is, they may cost a bit more. For instance, the black coating is applied and the bowl is set aside to dry. Then it has to be buffed down to what you see. Then the thumb button has to be scrubbed clean for visual contrast. That all takes time that is not needed with the other two copper bowls.

As to the finish, The Captain will be following up with the artisan that makes these for us as well as using this prototype daily for evaluation. Part of the value and charm that these copper bowls have is that each will develop a patina over time that makes them unique.

Great questions and we are working on them so it may take time before we know. It is an entirely different process that is more labor intensive. Because it is, they may cost a bit more. For instance, the black coating is applied and the bowl is set aside to dry. Then it has to be buffed down to what you see. Then the thumb button has to be scrubbed clean for visual contrast. That all takes time that is not needed with the other two copper bowls.

As to the finish, The Captain will be following up with the artisan that makes these for us as well as using this prototype daily for evaluation. Part of the value and charm that these copper bowls have is that each will develop a patina over time that makes them unique.

I will be looking forward to how this project develops and hopefully the end result will be preferable and I can get it.

My copper bowl is a beauty. In fact, a while back a friend of my wife visited us from Florida. She saw the copper bowl on the bathroom vanity and love the finish. She wanted the same finish on a bowl she had purchased but came with a shiny finish.

That is beautiful! My only concern would be the finish wearing off over time.

Our artisan assures me this will not happen. They have been using this exact finish on copper bathtubs (yes, you heard that right) for decades with no fading. Mind you, bathtubs get scrubbed down with some pretty significant cleansers and those have had no effect on the finish.

It is apparently going to be a Sophie's choice situation. The scuttle or the lather bowl. Damn you!

Choice, did someone say, "Choice?" That would mean going without, denying to self. And such behavior in a men's grooming industry - this is contrary to The Code that wet shavers live by. We can't have that! :biggrin1:

Actually you just shrug and say, "Yes, I will take both."

(Salesman hat firmly in place) - "And remember, these make a great gift for someone who is hard to buy for!"

Late to this conversation, however I have to agree with @ewk in that I prefer starting out with a slightly polished bowl and letting patina do the work. While this bowl looks great and is definitely different, it does appear to be forced.

Top Bottom