What's new

Branching out with my tobacco tastes, could I get a little help

Thanks @poorboy glad it's been of help to someone.

I've tried the Mac Baren Scottish Blend today, I think I see where my numb tongue on Monday came from, I tend to turn into a puffer and smoke far too quickly when I'm drunk and this does smoke quite hot. I'm not a brilliant breath smoker, I'm more of a sipper usually but this tobacco is perfect for breath smoking, once I switched to that the flavors really opened up. It sort of weirdly reminded me of a really really good version of Clan (which I actually really dislike, maybe it's just psychological what with them both having Scottish names).

I guess I am going to have to give Haddo's now. Man, I am disappointed you haven't tried 10 Russians yet! Especially if you love yourself some Latakia. It's currently my favorite smoke.

Also if you like Old Dark Fired, then I would highly recommend getting your hands on some orlik dark strong kentucky.

I'll crack the 10 Russians open this week at some point, I've been leaving the other two tins until last, I'll ping you when I try it, I'm pretty sure i'm going to really enjoy it. The Orlik is now on my wishlist, thanks.

Being on the continent, keep an eye out for Germain's Rich Dark Flake. Availability is pretty spotty, but buy all you can when you see it.

Same rules apply - a couple years before you open it makes a world of difference.

Wishlisted, thanks. Looks like it's available in the UK, I may be able to get some online and have it sent to my ma and get her to send it over to me in France.

@Enemygod yep I'm definitely a latakia fan, the 10 Russians confirms that's what I'm liking about the other two, it's so upfront in this, lovely smoke, I didn't want it to end. Love the crumble cake too, thanks very much for the recommendation.

Tried the Captain Black Dark today and really enjoyed it too, I like my aromatics so this one may not be for everybody, very black tobacco, it looks like it's already been burnt, quite wet so I let it dry for a couple of minutes in the sun, packed it loosely and it smoked really well. Not much of a tobacco taste to it, so quite a contrast to my other purchases but it made a nice change, I got sort of vanilla, caramel off of it, my girlfriend thought honey when she tasted it (she really liked this one). I normally prefer more "natural" tasting aros but I really like this and it's dirt cheap, I think this may become my go-to aromatic.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Tried the Captain Black Dark today and really enjoyed it too, I like my aromatics so this one may not be for everybody, very black tobacco, it looks like it's already been burnt, quite wet so I let it dry for a couple of minutes in the sun, packed it loosely and it smoked really well. Not much of a tobacco taste to it, so quite a contrast to my other purchases but it made a nice change, I got sort of vanilla, caramel off of it, my girlfriend thought honey when she tasted it (she really liked this one). I normally prefer more "natural" tasting aros but I really like this and it's dirt cheap, I think this may become my go-to aromatic.

You might like the CB Grape flavor. It’s a whimiscal flavor, well, whimsical to me anyway. Doesn’t taste like it smells. Can’t really say what, but fruity maybe? Anyways my pouch was very dry, packed well smoked well. I don’t smoke it often, but will replenish when I eventually run out.

You might like the CB Grape flavor. It’s a whimiscal flavor, well, whimsical to me anyway. Doesn’t taste like it smells. Can’t really say what, but fruity maybe? Anyways my pouch was very dry, packed well smoked well. I don’t smoke it often, but will replenish when I eventually run out.

I would also suggest Captain Black Black Sea. It's an english / Aromatic hybrid, that I surprisingly enjoy quite a bit.

Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of fruity aromatics but when I smelt the Dark I thought, I'm going to hate this it's too sweet but I ended up liking it so if I can get an oz in bulk I'll give it a go, at least it will be different, thanks.

I would also suggest Captain Black Black Sea. It's an english / Aromatic hybrid, that I surprisingly enjoy quite a bit.

That sounds interesting, really loving the 10 Russians so I'll take your word on this one too, thanks.

My missing Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake just arrived and it's wonderful, this is definitely one I'm going to buy regularly, I could see myself smoking a lot of this. Doesn't hurt that it's absolutely beautiful looking as well.

full

Changed my mind about the Sutcliff Virginia Slices. I was making the school boy error of rubbing them out too finely, of course it was going to taste like roll-ups like that, once I started folding and stuffing them they really came alive. The Bullseye Flake is just amazing too, can't wait to try the Escudo but I'm holding off on that, I'm going away for a couple of days next week, I'm going to save it until then.

Also changed my mind about the MM Ozark Mountain pipe I bought and originally hated. Turns out it's a really good little flake pipe. Perfect size to stuff one Bullseye coin into for a quickish smoke and it doesn't smoke too hot like it tends to do with ready rubbed.

I've not had much luck with folding flake or with the Ozark pipes. I'll have to try them together and see what happens.

I've not had much luck with folding flake or with the Ozark pipes. I'll have to try them together and see what happens.

Yeah I really hated the Ozark at first, felt like a novelty pipe, the shank was really badly attached to the bowl, the airhole was far too high but I cut and reglued the shank and built up the bottom of the bowl, which improved it a bit, all stuff that should have been done in the factory really. It's still by far the worst MM I have, not close to approaching the quality of the cobs.

As I understand it, the Ozark wasn't meant to compete with the cobs. MM had a bad year (drought I think), and didn't have the cobs to meet demand. The hardwoods were an answer to that. I've not been particularly impressed with the Ozark but I've had good luck with my hardwood Diplomats.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Most people fold and stuff too much. I find that if the result of the F&S is loose in the bowl before lighting, then it works out. It expands quite a bit when lit. I would advise trying a little less tobacco. Every flake that I have tried with F&S was better folded than rubbed out. Once you hit it right, it is easy from there on.

Most people fold and stuff too much. I find that if the result of the F&S is loose in the bowl before lighting, then it works out. It expands quite a bit when lit. I would advise trying a little less tobacco. Every flake that I have tried with F&S was better folded than rubbed out. Once you hit it right, it is easy from there on.

Agreed. The only trouble I really get sometimes is with the first light, occasionally I have to light it three or four times (even with a bit of kindling on top) but once they get going I can usually smoke a whole bowl without a relight.

Tried the Escudo on my trip to Cahors. Lovely tobacco but I think I actually prefer the Bulls Eye Flake (I know they're not really directly comparable but I do like the touch of Cavandish that the Bulls Eye has). Also took some Britt's Balkan and had loads of comments on how nice it smells, it's rapidly becoming my favourite tobacco, I'm going to have to explore Balkans a little more.

Top Bottom