What's new

Branching out with my tobacco tastes, could I get a little help

I think I've decided on getting the Escudo, Haddo's Delight and Ten Russians for now as the main ones, I've had to add quite a few of the cheaper bulk tobaccos in there too, to up my oz to dollar ratio and make the shipping worth it. I think I've got quite a good spread of new things to try in there though, plus a sprinkling of aromatics. Now it's just hoping it gets through customs ok, I think I'm going to email them first and see what they say about that. Thanks for your help everyone.

full

Some solid choices there. If it were me, I would put two of the Haddo's and Escudo. Trust me, once you have them, you will want more. Plus put some age on them and they only get better. Much, MUCH better!

Some solid choices there. If it were me, I would put two of the Haddo's and Escudo. Trust me, once you have them, you will want more. Plus put some age on them and they only get better. Much, MUCH better!

I was tempted but I wanted to stick to around a hundred quid (I'm shipping to France so it's a little expensive) and get a spread of a few different things. I've been too long smoking ****e French OTCs, I need the good stuff, so as soon as I know what I like I'll narrow it down to larger orders of less tobaccos (by then they'll be all out of stock of course :D) I'm going to give the Haddo's a pipes-worth then mason jar the rest for as long as possible, @Price has me really intrigued with this one. Can't wait, I'm just praying it makes it through customs now, if it doesn't expect a huge rant in here about how this country has forgotten it's founding principles, liberte fraternite egalite, my arse :D

I was tempted but I wanted to stick to around a hundred quid (I'm shipping to France so it's a little expensive) and get a spread of a few different things. I've been too long smoking ****e French OTCs, I need the good stuff, so as soon as I know what I like I'll narrow it down to larger orders of less tobaccos (by then they'll be all out of stock of course :D) I'm going to give the Haddo's a pipes-worth then mason jar the rest for as long as possible, @Price has me really intrigued with this one. Can't wait, I'm just praying it makes it through customs now, if it doesn't expect a huge rant in here about how this country has forgotten it's founding principles, liberte fraternite egalite, my arse :D

Yes, let us know if it makes it through customs. Because if it doesn't, there are other ways. :001_rolle

Yes, let us know if it makes it through customs. Because if it doesn't, there are other ways. :001_rolle

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here but according to the tracking, it's been processed through customs and is on its way, fingers crossed I should get it Monday or Tuesday :)

Well it arrived today but unfortunately the Bullseye Flake was missing from the order, I emailed them, does anyone know how 4noggins are at correcting this sort of thing?

@Price My Haddo's has arrived, you were saying it's nicer with a bit of age, the packing date on my tin is September 2017, would that be a good thing in this case or would the tobacco not have aged much in that time in an unopened can?

@Price My Haddo's has arrived, you were saying it's nicer with a bit of age, the packing date on my tin is September 2017, would that be a good thing in this case or would the tobacco not have aged much in that time in an unopened can?
That's the catch-22. As soon as you crack the tin, you interrupt the anaerobic aging process, so you have to make that call yourself. I will tell you that at two years of age, it is significantly improved over a freshly packed tin. The longer you can hold off opening the tin, the better the tobacco will be when you do, although you do start to get diminishing returns - at about 4 or 5 years, i would guess you would probably be at 80-85% of potential.

This being your first go with it, though, I'd say your best bet is to crack it open and smoke it. It's definitely old enough for you to get the idea. If you don't particularly care for it, you can jar it up tightly and revisit it in a few years just to see if that changes your opinion. If you do enjoy it (I think you will), add a few tins to your next order, put them in a cool dark place, and forget about them for a few years. Your patience will be rewarded.

Excellent, thanks very much for all the help over the last couple of weeks @Price I really appreciate it, I think I'll crack it open after dinner tonight, looking forward to it.

Wow, the tin note is absolutely fantastic, I cracked it open and got a huge whiff of alcohol, Cognac or Armagnac, it almost immediately settled and loads of chocolate notes came through, lot's of cakey dessert smells that I know but I just can't place, my girlfriend reckons cherries in dark chocolate.

Not smoked any yet, I'm waiting for it to dry a little but wow (again), even if I don't like how it smokes (which I doubt) it's been wonderful just smelling the stuff, I may forgo the smoking and just take a pinch to smell every now and again :) such a good recommendation.

Wow, the tin note is absolutely fantastic, I cracked it open and got a huge whiff of alcohol, Cognac or Armagnac, it almost immediately settled and loads of chocolate notes came through, lot's of cakey dessert smells that I know but I just can't place, my girlfriend reckons cherries in dark chocolate.

Not smoked any yet, I'm waiting for it to dry a little but wow (again), even if I don't like how it smokes (which I doubt) it's been wonderful just smelling the stuff, I may forgo the smoking and just take a pinch to smell every now and again :) such a good recommendation.

Hahaha. Yeah, I wish I could go back and smell it again for the first time. Brother, you are in for a treat. I see a spending spree brewing!

I've tried everything apart from the Escudo, 10 Russians, Bulls Eye and the Captain Black Dark.

1. Haddo's. Nobody buy this, it's truly disgusting, honestly it's really not worth the money, if you have any you haven't tried yet, send it my way and I'll dispose of it properly for you. Seriously though this is some primo tobacco, I absolutely adore it, can't thank @Price enough for the recommendation.

2. My next favorite (at the moment, everything apart from Haddo's is subject to change I reckon) is Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. I think I may be a big Latakia fan but I'm waiting until I crack open the 10 Russians before I totally declare myself thus.

3. Britt's Balkan. This and the Beck's are probably on pretty much equal footing for me, Latakia again but a little sweeter and coming from aros I quite like the hint of vanilla.

4. Old Dark Fired. Love this, it's well named. Really thick chewy smoke, nice after dinner.

5. Virginia No1. Nice all day type of smoke nothing amazingly interesting about it but it's very pleasant, I've got a feeling I'm going to prefer my virginias with some perique, so I'm really looking forward to the Escudo. I spent very many years smoking straight virginia roll ups so this is very familar to me but not as much as

6. Sutcliff Virginia Slices. This is basically like smoking a roll up in a pipe, not a bad thing by any means it was really nice to taste it again after so many years but it's the sort of tobacco I'd smoke on a work break in a very small pipe, it's a "I'm just nipping out for a smoke" type of thing. Absolutely no room note, confirmed by two people, I could smoke a bowl of this in an airport and no one would notice. I think out of the two straight virginias I got I'd have to say the no.1 just beats it out because the topping makes it a little more interesting.

NOT PLACED. Scottish Blend. I have to admit this is only here because I was very drunk when I smoked it and can't for the life of me remember what it was like. I need to try this again tomorrow.

Any suggestions of new tobaccos based on my above preferences are very welcome. Thanks to everyone that helped me pick this lot out, you did me proud, I really appreciate the help :)

I guess I am going to have to give Haddo's now. Man, I am disappointed you haven't tried 10 Russians yet! Especially if you love yourself some Latakia. It's currently my favorite smoke.

Also if you like Old Dark Fired, then I would highly recommend getting your hands on some orlik dark strong kentucky.

Any suggestions of new tobaccos based on my above preferences are very welcome. Thanks to everyone that helped me pick this lot out, you did me proud, I really appreciate the help :)

Being on the continent, keep an eye out for Germain's Rich Dark Flake. Availability is pretty spotty, but buy all you can when you see it.

Same rules apply - a couple years before you open it makes a world of difference.

Top Bottom