What's new

Brain picking time!

Greetings gentlemen,
I'm new to the forums and soon to be using a safety razor. I've been reading through the forum and decided that y'all might have some wisdom I could use.

First off a bit about my beard. Multi-directional is about the best description I can come up with. Quartering my face (straight up the middle and right across the jaw) my beard grows down on the upper/left quarter, to the right on the lower left quarter,diagonaly to the right and down on the lower right quarter, and finally a mixture of down, to the right, and up (with a swirling cowlick of all things as well) on the upper right quarter. The beard grows all the way up to about an inch below my eyes and down to slightly below my adam's apple.

I'm going to get a good brush,a quality razor (DE), and some good soap (going to try the MamaBear products). My question has to do with technique. With such a bizarre and irregular growth what stroke techniques would you knowledgeble gentlemen suggest? I am perfectly willing to invest the time and effort into developing good technique; I just want to avail myself of any tips.

All replies are appreciated.

Great site, by the way.

Mr. Creslin,

I have been at this for about 2 1/2 weeks. Not nearly enough to give you the great suggestions that most of the veterans here can. I can give you some pointers that have been tremendously helpful to me.

1. This is not an overnight process. It requires your patience & focus. You will want instant gratification though.
2. Practice making lathers.
3. Use as little pressure as possible.
4. Shave skin that has lather on it only and try not to go over bits too much. Don't obsess with getting uber smooth shaves just yet.

That's what helped to turn around my horrendous rookie DE shaves

Good luck!
Tito

Greetings Creslin!
First and foremost WELCOME to B&B. It goes without saying that you have been doing your homework on this DE wet shaving topic. I am sure that, with some actual experience you will have additional questions, but please accept this one bit of advice.
It is a rare instance where our whiskers all grow in one direction. If I followed your topography description, you have an interesting mix of patterns that will provide you with the opportunity to develop your own unique shaving regimen, like most of us. Now that bit of advice, despite all of the wisdom that will flow forth from the well-intentioned throngs, patience and a light hand eventually will win the day.
For a fact, the whorl pattern you described would seem to defy N to S, S to N, or NE to SW, or NW to SE, ad infinitum. You will find though, that one particular direction works best for your first pass. Works best in that you will reduce the length of the whiskers without pull, drag, nicks, or irritation. Successive passes in directions crossing the first and opposite the first will finish reducing the shrub to where you are pleased with the look and feel of your shave.
Now get out there and work on the basics, PREP, LATHER, etc.. Good luck and enjoy.

It's going to be an experience. While I don't think my beard is particularly tough it does grow fast. I can achieve a BBS shave if I skip for a week but even then 10 -12 hours later I would fail the credit card test.I am hoping that using a safety razor with a good DE will cut down on costs as well as allow me to, rarely if ever, shave a second time in a day if it's needed.

I'm glad I found the site. It looks as though it will be a good community to be a part of as well as a fount of wisdom.

PS: Another question here. I happen to have a condition, true pholiculitus, which requires me to use an anti-biotic cream daily. Anyone have any ideas about aftershaves and then using this cream, pros/cons? I dont' wish to do anything that will hinder the medicinal effects of this cream.

Creslin said:

PS: Another question here. I happen to have a condition, true pholiculitus, which requires me to use an anti-biotic cream daily. Anyone have any ideas about aftershaves and then using this cream, pros/cons? I dont' wish to do anything that will hinder the medicinal effects of this cream.

The only advice I can give you on this would be to ask your doctor. I am guessing there are certain ingredients you are supposed to avoid in all shaving products in general.

Top Bottom