What's new

BradWorld's Shave Journal

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Three days and 3000 miles later, I used the same travel kit. On the west coast this week. Since I had a super light shave with this kit on the last one, I need to use it for a thorough 3 pass shave. It didn't disappoint.

20220914_060049.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been using the same exact kit for my last few shaves as the one from last Thursday. I’m on the road working ridiculous long hours so it’s a natural to not have to worry about what gear and software to use. Great kit. That Short Comb is a thing of beauty. Even using the same blade. Probably has five shaves on it now. Those new light blue Platinums are excellent. Next shave I may change it up. Probably have one more shave on this stop of the tour.

253E9047-2D97-4EE7-8AB8-0763BC7595BC.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is a late post from Thursday. I have been on the road. Just got home. I finished off my travel shave run with the Lupo. I wanted to compare the vintage NEW SC that I had been using for the previous stretch of the road trip, to a modern value priced stainless razor like the Lupo. I have always been a fan of Razorock razors since they came onto the market all those years ago. And their stainless steel offerings are just about the best value on the market. I believe the Lupo 95 is perhaps the best of the bunch. Its a great shaving razor. And as expected, it kicked the vintage Gillette's geezer butt in the efficiency department. However, the NEW SC's smoothness and iconic shave experience beat out the Lupo in every way. Both great razors. Neither one sits on my top shelf. There are much bigger dogs in my den than either of these razors. But the Lupo has been a consistent feature of my travel kit for the last couple of years. Only recently has it been challenged by the Blackland ERA, which I think bests it with increased smoothness, and the same high level of efficiency. Especially with the two Level 5 plates. I feel a traveling shave-off coming soon! Stay smooth.

2022-09-22 06.39.38.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This morning's shave featured a continued revisiting of the Feather / Blackbird combination. @Hannah's Dad evangelizes this match up every chance he gets. And I had written off the Feather blades long ago due to their lack of smoothness, and their very short lifespan. I normally cant get more than 1 or 2 shaves from a new Feather. And in most razors, I find the Feather to be harsh, and prone to causing micro-weepers. This is shave 2 on this Feather in my Brassbird. Both shaves were great! Smooth and very efficient. Is it the best shave I have had in the blackbird series of razors? I think the jury is still out on that one. But it is absolutely a good shave with this razor and blade combination.

2022-09-24 09.03.45.jpg

This is a late post from Thursday. I have been on the road. Just got home. I finished off my travel shave run with the Lupo. I wanted to compare the vintage NEW SC that I had been using for the previous stretch of the road trip, to a modern value priced stainless razor like the Lupo. I have always been a fan of Razorock razors since they came onto the market all those years ago. And their stainless steel offerings are just about the best value on the market. I believe the Lupo 95 is perhaps the best of the bunch. Its a great shaving razor. And as expected, it kicked the vintage Gillette's geezer butt in the efficiency department. However, the NEW SC's smoothness and iconic shave experience beat out the Lupo in every way. Both great razors. Neither one sits on my top shelf. There are much bigger dogs in my den than either of these razors. But the Lupo has been a consistent feature of my travel kit for the last couple of years. Only recently has it been challenged by the Blackland ERA, which I think bests it with increased smoothness, and the same high level of efficiency. Especially with the two Level 5 plates. I feel a traveling shave-off coming soon! Stay smooth.

View attachment 1527560

I learned a ton from your travel shaving journal entries, thank you! I'm going on a trip soon and this'll be the first time I plan to wet shave away from home. You've provided a ton of tips, this is going to go a lot better thanks you to.

Thanks - and this is a fantastic journal!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I learned a ton from your travel shaving journal entries, thank you! I'm going on a trip soon and this'll be the first time I plan to wet shave away from home. You've provided a ton of tips, this is going to go a lot better thanks you to.

Thanks - and this is a fantastic journal!
Thank you for the kind words. I travel a ton, and have learned from success and failure. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a PM.

If I were giving a beginner advice for wet shaving during travel, I would tell them to learn how to face lather with an Arko stick before they go. Use a small synth brush. Get an inexpensive razor that you are already comfortable using, and poses minimal risk of injury. Tech, DE89, etc. And most importantly have fun!

That's fantastic advice, appreciate it!

that's just the reason I needed to finally try an Arco stick!! I have a Van Der Hagen TTO Tech clone, my first razor, that I've got a good relationship with :)

The only missing piece is a small synth brush, the one I have is kind of a monster, The Big Bruce. I really like your travel brush, that's what caught my eye in your journal first.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That's fantastic advice, appreciate it!

that's just the reason I needed to finally try an Arco stick!! I have a Van Der Hagen TTO Tech clone, my first razor, that I've got a good relationship with :)

The only missing piece is a small synth brush, the one I have is kind of a monster, The Big Bruce. I really like your travel brush, that's what caught my eye in your journal first.
That's a Muhle STF in 23 mm. I have a small Bruce that works well as a travel brush too if you don't want to spend on the STF.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Today I had a fantastic shave. I have a bunch of soaps I am going to either sell or donate to the St Sue auction. Amongst the soaps I never use was a pile of Mickey Lee. When I first discovered artisan soaps way back when, Mickey Lee was at the top of the list, along with The Holy Black, and Chiseled Face. Those were the three top soaps for me. But somehow CF and ML got spit out the back of the pack along the way, and I stopped using them. I think soaps like CK-6 and Omnibus have simply eclipsed those older brands. And Mickey Lee is now out of business unfortunately. But the Holy Black still remains one of my top shelf soaps. I guess I need three favorites to rotate! :adoration:

Well, today I loaded up my brush with some Mickey Lee Soapworks Drunken Goat. I figured I would give it a go, and then decide what to do with it. Man does that stuff still smell amazing! And it performed really well too! I am not sure I want to get rid of this stuff now. I will have to think on it a bit more.

I used my Rudy Vey STF contributors brush. And the Blackland Tradere is currently my favorite razor. A light blue Platinum did the cutting duties. And the TFS 70 finished up the whole thing with its amazing scent and terrific post shave feel. All around great shave!

2022-09-27 18.08.51.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just got back from a road trip. I meant to shave on the road. Brought a full kit. Had my Lupo 95 ready to go. But it just didnt happen. I felt like going scruffy for six days.

When I got home, I had quite a scruff going. What to do, what to do. Well yesterday, I broke out the WR1 .80 OC and a fresh London Bridge blade. I whipped up a lather of Passiflora, which is some really slick stuff. It knocked down that growth without any fuss.

As some of you know, when you let the stubbles go for even a few days, the next shave results can be amazing. When the stubbles are thick and substantial, I think they must be easier to cut very close. So this shave was terrific. Super close. Thirteen hours later I was noting how close my shave remained late into the day. It was an A+ shave for sure.

2022-10-03 09.56.07-2.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Tried out a new old razor today for the first time. The Personna BBS-0. This is the razor that the Wolfman dude used as a model for his rare-as-hens-teeth BBS-1 razor. Which in turn was the basis for the Wolfman WR2. So there is some history and lineage there. As a Wolfman Razors fan, this razor was a must have. I just needed to find one at the right price, which I finally did.

The shave started out quite mild. Very much like a Tech. I used some Southern Witchcrafts Labyrinth to provide some extra cushion, and a Platinum blade. Throughout the shave I felt like it wasn't cutting. I was prepping to be disappointed by the results. But at the end, I had a nice DFS result. Excellent shave. My Wolfmans are safe, but this was a fun experiment.

Many thanks to @never-stop-learning for all.of the BBS-0 info.

And thanks to @Gurpreet for asking about my awesome Leo Frilot brushes, which prompted me to pull out this beauty today.

20221005_102929.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tried out a new old razor today for the first time. The Personna BBS-0. This is the razor that the Wolfman dude used as a model for his rare-as-hens-teeth BBS-1 razor. Which in turn was the basis for the Wolfman WR2. So there is some history and lineage there. As a Wolfman Razors fan, this razor was a must have. I just needed to find one at the right price, which I finally did.

The shave started out quite mild. Very much like a Tech. I used some Southern Witchcrafts Labyrinth to provide some extra cushion, and a Platinum blade. Throughout the shave I felt like it wasn't cutting. I was prepping to be disappointed by the results. But at the end, I had a nice DFS result. Excellent shave. My Wolfmans are safe, but this was a fun experiment.

Many thanks to @never-stop-learning for all.of the BBS-0 info.

And thanks to @Gurpreet for asking about my awesome Leo Frilot brushes, which prompted me to pull out this beauty today.

View attachment 1534060
Beautiful Personna "BBS-0". 😍

The rest of this kit is also beautiful. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
8 days of growth. That is approximately how much I had this morning. Was camping for 6 days. There was about a day before, and a day after. So that should be 8. Anyways, just took a look at my last journal entry, and that may be 7 days ago. Same thing. Lots of scruff!

Gillette RFB on a Charcoal Goods Copper Anchor handle
Gillette Platinum Light Blue Box
B&M Passiflora Soap and Splash
Paladin Briar Cleo

Awesome shave today!

2022-10-12 08.33.26.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Yesterday's shave. Pretty good one! Super close. Got a couple of weepers, or it would be an A+ shave.

First outing with a Four Horseman soap. It was Death. It was quite excellent. No issues with the scent. I really like it. Typical Omnibus performance.

ERA Level 5 Solid Bar. As mentioned, got a couple of weepers. But it was super close. Not sure what went wrong. Used a King C Gillette blade. A new one. Maybe its not a good fit for that razor. Otherwise an excellent shave.

Finished up with the current travel splash. Clubman Brandy Spice.

1665919840506.jpeg

Yesterday's shave. Pretty good one! Super close. Got a couple of weepers, or it would be an A+ shave.

First outing with a Four Horseman soap. It was Death. It was quite excellent. No issues with the scent. I really like it. Typical Omnibus performance.

ERA Level 5 Solid Bar. As mentioned, got a couple of weepers. But it was super close. Not sure what went wrong. Used a King C Gillette blade. A new one. Maybe its not a good fit for that razor. Otherwise an excellent shave.

Finished up with the current travel splash. Clubman Brandy Spice.

View attachment 1540154

Are you still using the Aftermath bag? I think I saw that in one of your away photos, or perhaps you mentioned it. The one I have right now is messy, smelly monster from the late 90's and badly needs replacing. So many choices out there. Would you get that bag again?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Are you still using the Aftermath bag? I think I saw that in one of your away photos, or perhaps you mentioned it. The one I have right now is messy, smelly monster from the late 90's and badly needs replacing. So many choices out there. Would you get that bag again?
I don't know what an Aftermath bag is.. sorry.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Another travel shave today. This time I swapped the Level 5 SB plate for the Level 5 OC. Got a much better shave with this OC. It was closer AND smoother! Go figure.

Also different this shave was the blade. I swapped the KCG for a light blue box Platinum. And this hotel has much softer water than the last one. So that probably helped a bit too.

The omnibus Death soap was excellent. But quite frankly, for all the talk of this being the best of the Four Horsemen, I think there are a lot of better B&M scents. Fougere Gothique, FMOM, Leviathan. All dark. All excellent. Death is great, but it does not beat any of those.

Finished up with my travel size clubman brandy.

A+ shave today. Zero blood. Zero irritation. BBS.

7E41BE71-9027-4EF1-8861-86371B640B59.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
After a gew travel shaves with the ERA, it was time to switch to the Lupo 95 for the remainder of the trip. The Lupo feels better in the hand. And it feels better while I'm actually shaving with it. The results are in the same category as the ERA Level 5 SB and OC. But the Lupo always leaves me with a minor level of face burn and irritation. The ERA 5 SB is quite similar. I get a little irritation from that as well. But the ERA 5 OC does not give any discernible irritation. So we will see if the trend continues over the next few days.

The Death was excellent as usual.

End result was DFS+. Almost BBS. I would speculate that many here would call it a BBS and not bat an eyelash. But for me, if it doesn't pass the cotton ball test, it's not a true BBS.

The past week has been in a hotel with super soft water. I move to accommodations with harder water tomorrow. We will see what effect that has.

Stay smooth.

20221022_075421.jpg

Top Bottom