What's new

Brad Sears Brush Appreciation

Brad has been making brushes for quite a while now and I feel is deserving of a thread commending the work that he does. Over the last 2 years, Brads designs and unique elegant combinations of resins has elevated his brushes to a unique level to where you know without looking at the logo that is a Brad Sears brush.

The brush to the right is a BS Knight 28 in Coral with a single Amber ring with the select 1804A2F knot, this brush has moderate backbone with the softest of tips. To the left is a 151 28 with the same 1804A2F knot, this brush has medium backbone with the softest of tips. I could not be any more pleased.

Now, this is a hard decision, which one do I want to buy?
BS 151 & knight.jpg

Photo: Vivian Maier

What is the difference, if any, between moderate backbone and medium backbone? Also, what is the color of the base on the brush on the left? Thanks!

Moderate to me is between soft and medium, a moderately soft flexibility to the knot. Medium backbone with soft strong tips will give a nice face massage The base BS resin color is amber.

Brad has been making brushes for quite a while now and I feel is deserving of a thread commending the work that he does. Over the last 2 years, Brads designs and unique elegant combinations of resins has elevated his brushes to a unique level to where you know without looking at the logo that is a Brad Sears brush.

The brush to the right is a BS Knight 28 in Coral with a single Amber ring with the select 1804A2F knot, this brush has moderate backbone with the softest of tips. To the left is a 151 28 with the same 1804A2F knot, this brush has medium backbone with the softest of tips. I could not be any more pleased.

Now, this is a hard decision, which one do I want to buy?
View attachment 904071
Photo: Vivian Maier

Buy them all. Brad deserves a lot of appreciation.

Brad Sears Brush (2).jpg
I recently bought this brush about a month ago. It's an outstanding brush and puts a smile on my face.

Brad Sears Brush (2).jpg

It's a bit wet in this picture, I used it about an hour ago.

I have just one Brad Sears brush. It is with the Morris & Forndran 2XL Finest knot. For the price, I was disappointed with the brush. This was the only brush I ever bought that had a funk that lasted through several washings. The brush is OK - just not worth the money IMHO. Perhaps, the Brad Sears knot would be better.

upload_2018-8-13_20-39-59.png

I have just one Brad Sears brush. It is with the Morris & Forndran 2XL Finest knot. For the price, I was disappointed with the brush. This was the only brush I ever bought that had a funk that lasted through several washings. The brush is OK - just not worth the money IMHO. Perhaps, the Brad Sears knot would be better.

View attachment 904436

Yeah, Brad's work on that is only the handle. Lee Sabini did the knot. I recently had a Simpson's Chubby 2 in Best that was awful with the "wet dog" smell. I am waiting on a M&F 2XL. I hope my experience is different. And both my Brad Sears were best smelling new brushes I have ever had. Nearly zero funk. Definitely below my tolerance level for a new brush.

By the way with the "wet dog" I found PAA Brush Soap and Johnson's Baby Shampoo do wonders. I also am confident a good dog shampoo would help tremendously.

Top Bottom