What's new

šŸ˜¬ Brace rule

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
OK, now I'm even more confused than normal! So, if this thing stands, the tax stamp is free? Where is that written? And if the receiver is not engraved, the only proof that you are in compliance is your possession of Form 1 paperwork?
Copied from the Brief.

The rule goes into effect on the date of publication in the Federal Register. The rule allows for a 120-day period for manufacturers, dealers, and individuals to register tax-free any existing NFA short-barreled rifles covered by the rule. Other options including removing the stabilizing brace to return the firearm to a pistol or surrendering covered short-barreled rifles to ATF. Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols.

When you say ā€œengravedā€ do you mean serial number. Itā€™s be just like any other NFA regulated item. Youā€™ll have to have the paperwork to prove itā€™s legal. Is that what youā€™re asking?
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I thought that NFA weapons were required an engraving in addition to the serial number, is that not correct?
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I thought that NFA weapons were required an engraving in addition to the serial number, is that not correct?
I hadnā€™t really thought about that. I guess youā€™d have to engrave your name/trust name and maybe the city you live in? The receiver is already serial numbered. I donā€™t know what would need to be done if you have a receiver marked ā€œmultiā€ instead of a specific caliber.
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
And do we know if we were to register a weapon that has a pistol brace for free and no engraving requirements, would it then be legal to swap out the brace for a real stock?
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
And do we know if we were to register a weapon that has a pistol brace for free and no engraving requirements, would it then be legal to swap out the brace for a real stock?
I think common sense would say that once itā€™s registered as a SBR you could put a regular stock in it. Then again common is seems to be lacking in the DOJ/ATF.
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

This addresses the "Multi cal" issue, bottom line is apparently "multi caliber" is not accepted and a SINGLE caliber must be designated, however there is a provision to apply additional calibers through some other form??/notification to ATF. Still not clear as to how this would work in the proposed "no engraving required" set up for guns with braces. If you go that route with a brace and then swap out for a real stock, does it then require engraving?

And then there is the advantage of having a pistol with a brace not needing to inform ATF to cross state lines, whereas with an SBR, you have to inform ATF in order to take your gun across state lines. If you do the free Form 1 thing with no engraving and keep the brace, does the notification requirement to cross state lines apply??
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols.
This part from the ruling confuses me. If I continue to call it an AR pistol, then I should be good to go without registering. Right?
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This part from the ruling confuses me. If I continue to call it an AR pistol, then I should be good to go without registering. Right?
NOPE. See the above link for FAQs. While ATF does not regulate the sale of accessories, such as a brace, but the criteria for an SBR does not change. An AR "pistol" with a brace is an SBR, if the ruling stands.
Ā 

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think common sense would say that once itā€™s registered as a SBR you could put a regular stock in it. Then again common is seems to be lacking in the DOJ/ATF.
After putting a regular stock on it, does it now have to qualify for the 26ā€ rule? Lots of different length barrels? 10.5 will work. But 9ā€ or less?
Ā 

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
NOPE. See the above link for FAQs. While ATF does not regulate the sale of accessories, such as a brace, but the criteria for an SBR does not change. An AR "pistol" with a brace is an SBR, if the ruling stands.
Even people in this thread are putting pistol in quotes.
Ā 

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So I am still reading but from what I gather the standard markings will suffice during the 120 day grace period. Take this with 10 million grains of salt.
Again, from what I have read it is an SBR at that point so a butt stock should be ok. See above!
After putting a regular stock on it, does it now have to qualify for the 26ā€ rule? Lots of different length barrels? 10.5 will work. But 9ā€ or less?
This is one of the sticking points for me Rob. I measured a TriArc Systems pistol (not mine of course!) and it has a 8.3" barrel but with the brace collapsed it measures 26.125" (if the permanently attached flash hide counts?) so what is it? I don't know and I doubt they do either but I repeat myself.
Ā 

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So I am still reading but from what I gather the standard markings will suffice during the 120 day grace period. Take this with 10 million grains of salt.

Again, from what I have read it is an SBR at that point so a butt stock should be ok. See above!

This is one of the sticking points for me Rob. I measured a TriArc Systems pistol (not mine of course!) and it has a 8.3" barrel but with the brace collapsed it measures 26.125" (if the permanently attached flash hide counts?) so what is it? I don't know and I doubt they do either but I repeat myself.

Ruby Ridge happened over a 1/2ā€ longer then it should have been shotgun. Surely, MIBā€™s wonā€™t kick your door in at dawn over .125ā€. :)
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Wouldnā€™t that just make it a SBR as long as the barrel is under 16 inches? Overall length was used to determine if the weapon was ā€œconcealable.ā€ Once over 26ā€ it may not have to be regulated under the NFA as long as it doesnā€™t have a barrel under 16inches in which case it would be a SBR. Anything under 26 inches would have to be regulated. I think thatā€™s how it works. I could be wrong, it happens.
Ā 
Top Bottom