What's new

šŸ˜¬ Brace rule

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wouldnā€™t that just make it a SBR as long as the barrel is under 16 inches? Overall length was used to determine if the weapon was ā€œconcealable.ā€ Once over 26ā€ it may not have to be regulated under the NFA as long as it doesnā€™t have a barrel under 16inches in which case it would be a SBR. Anything under 26 inches would have to be regulated. I think thatā€™s how it works. I could be wrong, it happens.
Correct. As long as itā€™s over 26ā€. The ATF is attempting to determine that if your SBR can collapse under 26ā€, itā€™s still a ā€œpistolā€ just with a stock.

You shouldering a brace, is no good for the ATF; and you sporting an SBR that can collapse around just 2 feet is no good for the ATF

Hypocritical?
Ā 

OkieStubble

This part from the ruling confuses me. If I continue to call it an AR pistol, then I should be good to go without registering. Right?
Right? But if youā€™re able bodied and own one youā€™re a felon. This guy gets it. :)
Ā 

OkieStubble

Not according to the new ruling, if it stands.

According to the new ruling, AR pistols with braces will still be legal for the disabled, but they will have to now, register their AR pistols, in order to prove and justify their ownership. Just as the able bodied and whomever else, will have to continue to register their SBRā€™s.

Pretty soon, Everything will be registered. How do I know?

My wife will ask me this same thing when we are watching a movie together. Something in the movie happens and she will ask me; ā€œhow do you know?ā€

I will turn and stare into those big, green naĆÆve eyes of hers and say; ā€œitā€™s in the script.ā€

;)
Ā 

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Just for funsies I logged into my eFile account. There are new "rules of behavior"...
rules of behavior.PNG
That first line is a tad troublesome. Weird is all I can say.
Ā 
Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just for funsies I logged into my eFile account. There are new "rules of behavior"...
View attachment 1589357
That first line is a tad troublesome. Weird is all I can say.
Other than the title I donā€™t see anything glaringly nefarious. I donā€™t like the tax records part but it looks like you can give or not give that info. Other than that it looks like only use your account, donā€™t give anyone your account info, and your FFL canā€™t file the Form 1 for you. Did I miss something? I have a 3 and 5yr old roughhousing in the background, so my train of though keeps getting broken.
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Has this already been put into the Federal register? I noticed that the ATF efile site already has the process listed to file as a tax exempt status.
Ā 

OkieStubble

Other than the title I donā€™t see anything glaringly nefarious. I donā€™t like the tax records part but it looks like you can give or not give that info. Other than that it looks like only use your account, donā€™t give anyone your account info, and your FFL canā€™t file the Form 1 for you. Did I miss something? I have a 3 and 5yr old roughhousing in the background, so my train of though keeps getting broken.
Tax records was the scary part. While it appears like it looks like itā€™s an option, have you ever, hurriedly stuck your foot in a door, before someone could close it?

If you have, was your intention to get your leg in next and then eventually the rest of you thru that door?

:)
Ā 

nikonNUT

So just for everyones edification aka I tried, you do not have to tick the tax part BUT when you click continue you it says you missed a box, please tick it to continue soooo... šŸ¤·
Has this already been put into the Federal register? I noticed that the ATF efile site already has the process listed to file as a tax exempt status.
As I have read it, not yet but supposedly sometime this week.
Ā 

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is confusing, of course. Theoretical question:

1. If you have an AR pistol, why can't you just throw away the brace and legally own and shoot the dang thing as a pistol? A long, awkward, heavy one? It was bought as a pistol legally. You can put a stock (with SBR) on tons of different pistol makes. Can't an AR pistol just BE a pistol without a stock? All other pistols can.

2. Why does just owning the pistol upper (if you own another lower) make for that "constructive" whatever? No one is assembling anything illegal. It's illegal! Say for example I have a can of BP for the black powder firearms I hunt with; also owning a glass jar and a roll of twine doesn't mean "constructive" of a dangerous device. Parts do not constitute a thing - until they are assembled - any more than various chemicals make a compound.

Forgotten Weapons YouTuber Ian MacCullum has a new and good video about this law.

AA
Ā 

nikonNUT

This is confusing, of course. Theoretical question:

1. If you have an AR pistol, why can't you just throw away the brace and legally own and shoot the dang thing as a pistol? A long, awkward, heavy one? It was bought as a pistol legally. You can put a stock (with SBR) on tons of different pistol makes. Can't an AR pistol just BE a pistol without a stock? All other pistols can.

2. Why does just owning the pistol upper (if you own another lower) make for that "constructive" whatever? No one is assembling anything illegal. It's illegal! Say for example I have a can of BP for the black powder firearms I hunt with; also owning a glass jar and a roll of twine doesn't mean "constructive" of a dangerous device. Parts do not constitute a thing - until they are assembled - any more than various chemicals make a compound.

Forgotten Weapons YouTuber Ian MacCullum has a new and good video about this law.

AA
1) Because gubment...

2) Because gubment...
Ā 
According to the new ruling, AR pistols with braces will still be legal for the disabled, but they will have to now, register their AR pistols, in order to prove and justify their ownership. Just as the able bodied and whomever else, will have to continue to register their SBRā€™s.

Pretty soon, Everything will be registered. How do I know?

My wife will ask me this same thing when we are watching a movie together. Something in the movie happens and she will ask me; ā€œhow do you know?ā€

I will turn and stare into those big, green naĆÆve eyes of hers and say; ā€œitā€™s in the script.ā€

;)
One obvious problem is that the .Gov does not have grounds for requiring proof of disability, which the registration requirement defacto mandates, unless they are requiring said proof in providing medical services or devices. So, if you're under the VA, maybe; if not, it would seem to be simply another way of marginalizing those with neuropathy, loss of fine motor function, rheumatoid arthritis, etc..
Ā 
Top Bottom