What's new

BP7770 Blade Test

I already have a pack of Polsilvers that I'm using sparingly. Plus, upon a search, I'm not finding them readily available for me.

After the latest round, here are the ratings. Next up is the Treet Platinum!

1588454573696.png

At this point, I'm starting to think that very few if any blades will not perform well in the Parker Variant. We shall see. Still, it leaves me thinking about which razor I want to use in the 2nd round of testing. At this point, I'm thinking it will be my Timeless 0.68mm Stainless where I would use the OC plate for the 1st pass and SB plate for the additional passes. Maggard MR5 with standard closed comb base plate and Parker 87R are other options, and I should be receiving a Muhle R96 Rocca before the next round.

Nice ratings/reviews. Are you keeping same settings on the variant, or changing to your liking? So far all pretty nice blades. Only one that is slightly surprising to get a high rating so far is the dorco. I'll be surprised if you rate derby extra high on sharpness, smoothness might vary.

Yes, I do the first pass on the 2 setting and the rest of the shave on the 1.5 setting. The Dorco was a nice blade. I'll see how it does in the next round with a different razor.

As for Derby Extra, that is consistent with past experiences with the blade. I recall it tugging and being a bit uncomfortable, but I thought I'd give it a shot again.

The Shaverboy wasn't bad, but it just didn't feel quite as sharp or smooth as the others I've tried so far. Next blade in testing is the MIG Wilkinson Sword.

1590259060531.png

Due to camping, I didn't get a 4th shave in with this blade, but the Lord Platinum was quite smooth for 3 shaves this week. Next up is the Super Max Diamond Edge. Also, I received a 5-pack of Tatra Platinum blades with a recent order, so these have been added to my testing rotation.

1593369726737.png

Oh wow Lord platinum a 10 haven't tested this blade yet but have some waiting to be tested these are super cheap.

Primarily because it gave me such smooth results. I'll be doing another round of testing using another razor.

Lots of really nice blades in this Parker Variant razor so far (except the Bic blade).

1595710357668.png

Over the years, Polsilver has been discontinued about every 6 months - looks to be a sales ploy to keep prices high. I'm taking them at their word & regard them as actually discontinued and not readily available. No sense in funding some sellers' retirement fund.
The Personna Lab Blues are now at the top of my top favorites list. Super Max Blue Diamonds bear further comparing, also.

I may disagree a bit with your rankings. But I think they show most blades are pretty decent, and will work well for most folks most of the time.

I would agree most blades have been quite good overall, although I might still have my overall preferences at least in the Parker Variant.

After the latest round using the Gillette Rubie, I found that blade to be quite sharp while still giving a smooth shave, but I did get a few more nicks than usual.

1596320460741.png

I may disagree a bit with your rankings. But I think they show most blades are pretty decent, and will work well for most folks most of the time.

Read the rankings, see the chart and do a comparison with the list.

Then go on to do your own evaluation on which blade works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the rankings, see the chart and do a comparison with the list.

Then go on to do your own evaluation on which blade works best for you.
I am aware of refined shave and have done my own testing with numerous blades. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom