What's new

Boycott a Product ?

In all honesty, I am sure that my mutual funds are tied up with some companies that would insult my beliefs, and they are probably based in countries that I philosophically don't agree with.
So I'm either a hypocrite (very likely) or just plain lazy (again, very likely) when I admit that I will probably do nothing to change my behavior.
I will NEVER buy a new General Motors vehicle, though my father retired from that company, and I could get his discount, because of how he was treated with respect to a work place injury.
BUT.... my hypocrisy shines through in the fact that I have two Buicks in the driveway that I bought used from private owners...
You mustn't feel guilty about the buying and selling decisions of your broker, or mutual funds directors.
Since you are not the one making the decisions - that put your money directly into the hands of contemptuous corporations, communist despots, and blood-thirsty jihadists who vow your death - you can sleep easy at night.

And isn't being a Buick owner really the best revenge anyway?
As the smug pilot of a old Roadmaster, that would take me to any destination possessed of filling stations, I can confidently say...that when better automobiles were built, Buick built them!

Does this indicate that I haven't examined my values very closely? Perhaps? I've never been one for sitting on a high horse. There is a high probability of falling off.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at, but didn't say outright. Kind of a "Judge not, lest ye be judged" thing. I'm sure that there are lots of things that I believe that would seriously offend someone else, so I mostly keep my mouth shut when in uncertain company.

Also, in most cases, I find that there's no sense antagonizing someone over stuff that I'm unlikely to change their minds about... especially if they turn the tables and say something that exposes my own hypocrisy! :wink2:

I have no problem buying and using used and vintage Gillette products, since my $ is not going to them when I buy these items. I have three Super Speeds - all of which were purchased after my decision to not fund their socio-political propaganda.
A few people have mentioned that they're okay with buying used Gillette products because the money doesn't go directly to the company. However, all of my vintage Gillette products were purchased new in the 1950s and 1960s.

So, those cretins did get my money! :laugh:

if a company decides to get vocal and takes a firm stand on a political issue and gets overally vocal about it, yes I pull the business.

I.E. Penzy's Spices here in Milwaukee, the CEO has been on a personal vendetta against any conservative and trump, and this impeachment issue. Here's the wild part, I posted my displeasure about the companies stance and their marketing department responded with "we won't miss your dirty money" so there you have it. It's a shame I used to spend about $1,000.00 a year on spices with them, and use them for game that I take when hunting, which they also apparently had a problem with.

So yes, I pull the pin.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
if a company decides to get vocal and takes a firm stand on a political issue and gets overally vocal about it, yes I pull the business.

I.E. Penzy's Spices here in Milwaukee, the CEO has been on a personal vendetta against any conservative and trump, and this impeachment issue. Here's the wild part, I posted my displeasure about the companies stance and their marketing department responded with "we won't miss your dirty money" so there you have it. It's a shame I used to spend about $1,000.00 a year on spices with them, and use them for game that I take when hunting, which they also apparently had a problem with.

So yes, I pull the pin.
They are stoopid in the way they do business.

Because they don't want to do business with someone based on politics they consider repellent? Interesting.

Yes. Business, politics and religion don’t mix. They are free to maim themselves though. Hollywood has long suffered declines in box office receipts as well as Oscars enthusiasm since they have stopped being entertainment oriented and focused on deriding their customer base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they don't want to do business with someone based on politics they consider repellent? Interesting.

They as in the spice company spent over $80,000 on facebook ads demanding the impeachment of our current president, and they also called out THEIR customer base with the basic messaging state of you are either with us or against us in this, and it DIVIDED THEIR customer base, customers were bashing each other, attacking the company, while the company attacked back. They made that decision, and when I voiced my displeasure, I was told to go away basically, if a company is telling me to go away because of something they posted on social media, something that I was truly disappointed to read, then they clearly don't and or didn't want/appreciate my business, and that's fine, that is their right.

Assuming profit is more important than principle.

What’s that have to do with it? You can maintain your principles without injecting them into your business. It’s been done that way for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they also called out THEIR customer base with the basic messaging state of you are either with us or against us in this, and it DIVIDED THEIR customer base, customers were bashing each other, attacking the company, while the company attacked back. They made that decision, and when I voiced my displeasure, I was told to go away

4qtH2Cj.gif

Well, yes, if their primary purpose is to sell their product. If not, then they aren't in it for the sales., and that's perfectly fine. From a business standpoint, though, it's a good way to loose a half or more of potential sales.

My take? Whatever. If a company makes it clear they don't want my business, I take them at their word and go elsewhere. No muss, no fuss.

Quite frankly I couldn't tell you what any of the political views are of the companies I buy from so I'm not sure I'd boycott them just because of them. It's a free country where people are allowed to have differing opinions. As soon as I start boycotting things because of differing opinions (religious, political, ideological) now I'm telling someone their beliefs aren't worth considering (in my opinion).

Now, I've refused to go back to places and stores because of customer service. I have no problem spending my money elsewhere if you are going to treat me like crap.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I see this discussion being about free markets. Pure and simple. If the aim of boycotts is to impede sales of the targeted company they rarely succeed from what I can tell. If it makes you feel better great, boycott away... But speaking about the USA, this country is divided 50/50 along pretty clear lines. So I ask, to what effect?

Generally I'm blissfully ignorant to the positions (political, religious, wokeness level, etc.) of large corporations C suite or the owners of artisan soap companies. I don't participate on the large social media sites or watch the news much, so I really wouldn't know.

From a cynical GenXer... "Whatever".

Last edited:
As a heart attack. They’re free to hurt their business all they want. It’s no skin off of my back. They are then free to sport their altruism badges.
Businesses have always done that. Oh, BTW, Hollywood's biggest grossing year domestically was 2018. The ten top grossing years? The last ten. Most businesses who take some kind of political or moral position probably aren't hurting themselves much more than that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really need to politely write a letter to any companies I encounter that I feel has a bad business model, explaining why I feel that way, etc.

It is much more gentlemanly to do it that way, than to follow my first instinct, and be rude and obnoxious.

What would Fred Rodgers do?

Top Bottom