What's new

Boycott a Product ?

This is a difficult one for me, should I boycot Voskhod blades because I disagree with the general political climate in Russia? Or are we suggesting that we boycot products just based on the ethics and ethos of the company manufacturing these products.

This is a difficult one for me, should I boycot Voskhod blades because I disagree with the general political climate in Russia? Or are we suggesting that we boycot products just based on the ethics and ethos of the company manufacturing these products.

I took it as more the company itself specifically.

Yes, agreed but what I was suggesting is that should boycotting an unethical country also be considered.
You mentioned Russia and someone else mentioned China. If I boycotted products from both countries, a lot of my favourite shaving gear would be unavailable to me. My two favourite razors (a Slim and a Tech) also happen to be made by Gillette, a company for which many people have an intense dislike bordering on hatred.

If I stopped using all of those products, I'd probably stop shaving altogether. Doesn't seem reasonable. Then again, maybe that marks me as a hypocrite somehow? I'd have to examine my values more closely to see if the objections raised by anybody in this thread actually bother me enough to change my buying habits.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You mentioned Russia and someone else mentioned China. If I boycotted products from both countries, a lot of my favourite shaving gear would be unavailable to me. My two favourite razors (a Slim and a Tech) also happen to be made by Gillette, a company for which many people have an intense dislike bordering on hatred.

If I stopped using all of those products, I'd probably stop shaving altogether. Doesn't seem reasonable. Then again, maybe that marks me as a hypocrite somehow? I'd have to examine my values more closely to see if the objections raised by anybody in this thread actually bother me enough to change my buying habits.
I Agree,
It would considerably make a lot of shaving gear unavailable, and this isn't considering Turkey, India, and Egypt. If someone completely boycotted China alone, for instance, morally you'd have to boycott companies who source products and materials from China like Simpson, Omega, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Rockwell, Proraso, SV, Stirling, Maggard, Italian Barber, WCS, Smallflower and every other shaving vendor on the planet. I separate people trying to make a living from their respective countries with the benefit of the doubt. Does this indicate that I haven't examined my values very closely? Perhaps? I've never been one for sitting on a high horse. There is a high probability of falling off.

Last edited:
My two favourite razors (a Slim and a Tech) also happen to be made by Gillette, a company for which many people have an intense dislike bordering on hatred.

If I stopped using all of those products, I'd probably stop shaving altogether. Doesn't seem reasonable. Then again, maybe that marks me as a hypocrite somehow?

I have no problem buying and using used and vintage Gillette products, since my $ is not going to them when I buy these items. I have three Super Speeds - all of which were purchased after my decision to not fund their socio-political propaganda.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have no problem buying and using used and vintage Gillette products, since my $ is not going to them when I buy these items. I have three Super Speeds - all of which were purchased after my decision to not fund their socio-political propaganda.
I have no problem buying from Gillette at all, and if we are honest this is what this thread was originally intended to be about, or illicit, without going into "specifics". The blades out of St. Petersburg are simply too good to pass up.

039_50 (1).jpg

Sometimes I choose not to support a vendor because of the name/image they have selected for their company. For example, I will not purchase from Black Ship Grooming, The Holy Black, or Southern Witchcrafts. I also avoid specific products such as: B&M Leviathan and Lyssa, and M&M Gael Laoch because of the way they are marketed.

May I ask, what about their marketing ticks you off? Just curious

May I ask, what about their marketing ticks you off? Just curious
I would not say the marketing ticks me off? I just do not want them in my shave den.

Leviathan is a name associated with Satan.
Lyssa is marketed as a Zombie reppellant.
Gael Laoch is represented by a skull.

I have other B&M and M&M soaps, so my distaste for a few of their products does not extend to the brand.

I'd rather give my money to good people and I'll avoid giving it to bad ones if I can. You'll have to guess who I think the good ones and bad ones are.

Can't say this is something I wonder about. As long as it's legal, what someone chooses to do with their money is their own business. This is all about each of us being comfortable with how we spend it.

B&M Leviathan and Lyssa, and M&M Gael Laoch because of the way they are marketed.

I think that states you don't agree with companies marketing :) also I never claimd you are saying that for the whole brand, I was just interested what you dislike about marketing of the products you listed

So if a soap had Jesus on the label you would buy it?

It would depend. If it was very much the company or if it was due to some few individuals speaking out against a company. If the company is at fault.ie bad worker conditions / child labor or voicing their views about politics or individuals rights or trying to get people to dislike a particular group of people then maybe... But if its just a few closed minded or power hungry individuals trying to get the masses to not use a product or company then probably not because as people we are able to make our own decisions and dont need to be herded away from or towards anything. We dont need to be told how to think and i think just because one person doesnt like someone doesnt mean i have to be the same way. The same person or company that a small group doesnt like i on the other hand may think they are great. We all need to decide for ourself and not be told how to think.

The blades out of St. Petersburg are simply too good to pass up.
But we are supposed to boycott Gillette and Russia. 2 birds with 1 stone. One a serious note though, those Russian Gillette blades are great. Now I don't know If I am willing to buy any other Gillette products. Maybe when they import the "Pure" cream I could give it a shot.

Think two kinds of companies - those that trade on the stock markets (big) and those that don't (small).

For those that are big, "I" like the company, "you" don't and boycott, but "we" likely both invest. How? People think if they don't buy stocks they're not investing, but mutual funds are wider and most folks don't know what they're invested in. How about their 401(k)s, their pension funds, their union funds (think police/fire/teachers, too)? They benefit more from "us" through investments. Think "you" are hurting The Art of Shaving Gillette Procter & Gamble by not buying there? Think again. There will be as many who start buying there because of the policies. "You" feel good, but that's it.

As for small companies, it's really not worth it. Take shaving goods, for example. Their reach is soooo small. I go through 2 1/2 tubs of shaving soap a year, never the same scent or product twice. If I want a razor, it's a different vendor. If I boycotted them, they wouldn't miss me.

So, I don't bother...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
But we are supposed to boycott Gillette and Russia. 2 birds with 1 stone. One a serious note though, those Russian Gillette blades are great. Now I don't know If I am willing to buy any other Gillette products. Maybe when they import the "Pure" cream I could give it a shot.
No! Just Voskhod! :mad5: :cuppa:

I have Gillette Pure. It's not a bad cream for as cheap and available as it is here. The scent is nice, and I may be mistaken but I think I read that it contains liquid glass. I can't prove it, but that would be kind of cool. If, and when, they import to where you are at and you can buy it inexpensively it's a good deal.
154809372673769865169.jpg

It is quite similar to voting. Your one vote doesn't make much of an impact, yet combined with many other votes it determines the winner. Same with buying decisions, you don't have an impact on a companies bottom line, yet combined with many other buyers/non-buyers the company either makes or looses money and the board room notices.

Top Bottom